Annual Smoke Pollution From Indonesia Covers South Thailand

george

Smoke risk

People suffering from respiratory problems in the South should avoid going outdoors after smoke from Indonesian fires on Sumatra covered the region, a Songkhla public health official said.

Dr Sanpong Ritthirakmsa said smoke pollution had yet to reach critical levels but those with respiratory problems might develop eye, nose and throat irritations.

The Pollution Control Department was prepared for the annual smoke pollution.

A source said the department had air-quality watch units in Surat Thani, Songkhla, Phuket, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun.

Thailand will host a transnational smoke meeting attended by environment ministers from five Asean countries next month.

-- The Nation 2008-09-21

It is a shame people are not more up in arms about smoke pollution. I happen to have a sensitive respiratory system so I notice it but just because others don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't having very dire effects on your health. Also it creates a haze that makes the horizon look permanently fuzzy. Not to mention global warming and the ramifications of that. There are various little frustrations I have with Thailand but I can laugh off all but the issue of pollution. This is no laughing matter and I hope we find ways to cut it down.

They say it has yet to reach critical levels but who has made these standards and can you really trust they are looking out for your well being?

I am in agreement with you, but I don't think there's much that I can do. If the gov'ts of Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand--not to mention Indonesia can't control it, then I feel pretty helpless to intervene.

"Under an agreement with Singapore and Malaysia, Indonesia has pledged to reduce the number of hotspots by 50 percent by 2009, 75 percent by 2012, and 95 percent by 2025. 144,000 hotspots were recorded in Sumatra in 2006, although the number feel to 35,000 in 2007 due to wetter conditions."

Source: Mongabay August 26, 2008 images

A reason? > "In Jambi, Sumatra, small-plot palm oil farmer Achmadi is under pressure to stop his traditional ‘slash and burn’ practices, but also needs to feed his growing family."

Source: Films of Record

"Hot spots: A burning issue for Indonesia

Agus Susatya , Bengkulu | Tue, 08/26/2008 10:28 AM | Opinion

Several days ago, numerous media sources reported the occurrence of haze in several cities in Riau, South Sumatra, Central Kalimantan and West Kalimantan provinces. The haze was generated by hot spots or fires in Sumatra as well as in Kalimantan. "

Source: The Jakarta Post

Earth Observatory images