Anyone Got A Tiger 250 Boxer

thaicbr

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

I had ridden the boxer 250 cc in Pattaya.

My first impressions were very good, swift and very easy to handle.And i like it's sounds

The seat was very hard but that's easy to solve here in Thailand go to a saddle shop and for a 200-300 bht the problem is instantly solved.

The only question i have are the headlights sufficiant enough for a night ride????????

The Tiger Boxer 250 is clearly a all-round bike, or better I would call it a sporty all-rounder, because it is seriously not lazy. Most CBR-150R riders who try it to see if it is a alternative will seriously consider it after a test ride. Probably Tiger Motorcycles knows this, as they are one of the only motorcycle manufacturers who do not difficult about test rides....

Nothing wrong with a Honda CBR-150, but if you want something more and not want to dig deep in the pocket for a Kawasaki Ninja 250, you can look at a Tiger.... and you will not get disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do they sell these things? I know there once was a dealer in Chiang Mai, on the corner that goes to the train terminal, but that was years ago. T Dog and I were talking last night, and cannot recall ever seeing a Tiger Boxer - maybe one police bike - anywhere in northern Thailand. Porsche Boxters may be more common here, or BMW boxer twins, or boxer shorts.

Where do they sell these things? I know there once was a dealer in Chiang Mai, on the corner that goes to the train terminal, but that was years ago. T Dog and I were talking last night, and cannot recall ever seeing a Tiger Boxer - maybe one police bike - anywhere in northern Thailand. Porsche Boxters may be more common here, or BMW boxer twins, or boxer shorts.

i road past a motorcycle shop on ramkumheing rd that had a bunch of them

• 1 year later...

I too live in Chiang Mai, and I have gone past or into both "Tiger" outlets. No Boxer 250 that I have seen in either since October.

It happens that I will be in Bangkok all day Wednesday. No Boxer 250 will be available. Seems "it" is out on a tour.

Talk about ice water down your back. And yes, I've read all the reports in threads telling how wonderful service can be - long distance. And realize that modest budgets these days are constraining. But sheeze!

Incidentally, Kuhn Pariya was as helpful as he could be, under the circumstances. But sheeze!

I am in CM and own one. I believe that there are only 5 in captivity in CM. If any CM residents are really interested in owning one , Pm me, and come round for a look and a chat. IMO. there is no comparison between the Tiger 250rs and a Honda CBR150. Both excellent bikes but totally different rides.

The biggest difference between the Tiger Boxer 250 RS and the Honda CBR150R is that the Tiger is still in production and available for sales, and the Honda CBR150R is out of production and will not be available from official Honda dealers after March 2010.

Thanks for the idea of TV "thread(s)" (which it happens I have read - even plowing through the sometimes acrimonious CBR vs Boxer 250RS exchanges - thanks very much anyway) and facts about present production (which I understood, though nobody could know that I did). Also particularly for the invitation to see the bike from a local Boxer owner.

But the fact remains that being UNable to walk into a showroom and ask questions about a purchase (even if only in gestures, because I have yet to learn much Thai) while looking at it, let alone driving it, is unfortunate, and to have the bad luck to be unable to do so in Bangkok is perfectly discouraging, in spite of Boxer's friends' best efforts -

and I say so even if it pleases PB, though in the hope that he relaxes in the cause of terrific health and more riding on the beloved CBR.

In the interests of complete disclosure:

Just received an e-mail from Khun Pariya. He adds that he himself will be at the show room on the day I will be in Bangkok, not another chap whom he first mentioned. Writes that the "test bike" will be available next time I'm in town.

Implication might be that there are bikes to see, not ride - which I had not asked to do. I had read elsewhere that he is a very busy man and that one must be very clear in writing/reading. That is, there may be a Tiger Boxer 250 to see, if not test. Thus I will have been guilty of mis-communication and mis-posting. Better than flaming because I'm having a bad day, I suppose.

In any case, as I wish to check out the 110 Retro with sidecar too see if they could be separated for further utility and have a closer look overall, I'll go and see on Wednesday, get out of town Thursday, and read about the rest of the week from afar. Not to mention the Bike Show later in the month.

Might one day have fraternal twins - or not; life's a surprise a lot.

Since nobody's mentioned it already, try this link for some interesting Tiger information from people who actually own & run them:-

www.tigersachsclub.com

(Can't post URL apparently)

I have a Tiger 250 RS myself & I love it. Reminds me of my old Ducati singles, which is saying a lot, in my book. Good in town, good on open roads. Can be ordered with kickstart too, if you want it, at no extra cost.

I get the impression that the bikes are almost hand assembled to order.

Apparently there's a race kit available consisting of new head, new cam & valves, new carb, ignition mods & brake parts (I think) for 4500 baht. I'll go for that when I have a few more miles on the clock. But it doesn't in any way compare to my last bike in UK, Triumph Daytona 675.

Should add that I'm small & 60 kg or so - any lard-<deleted> might want to take that into account. It's only 250 (actually 232), after all.

I had some conversations with different Tiger Boxer 250 RS owners. They all praise the bike. One, MBOX, made a video of his 1,011 km ride. The other bought a new Er6n and still wouldn't part with the 250 cc. since he's in CM, there might be more than just 5 owners :)

Low weight, good ergonomics and a classic design - I like simple naked bikes. for the price of a green book, you can get a legal bike with a good long warranty!

Newguy70 and I went to the Tiger dealer on Phahonyothin in North BKK last week.

They had 2 Sachs and a smaller Tiger 150cc that looked like the Boxer.

There was no Boxer 250 on site but we met an Italian guy that had his there for service.

He really liked his and had it kitted out for touring with his lady on back.

He did trips up to Lao and was on his way to Malaysia soon.

I took a good look at it and for the money it looks to be a great deal but it looks as much as it costs.

Still you get what you pay for as this bike is air/oil cooled with a steel frame.

The welds were poor, likely hand welded as no robot could be so sloppy.

All the brackets were made from steel instead of aluminum.

It looks to be capable but slow.

I'm positive a Suzuki Raider 150 would smoke it in a drag race.

If you must have a new motorcycle this might be the best deal going but I wonder how long these bike last.

I question a Tiger since they don't really promote themselves in their home country and the Thais don't even buy them.

Can a Tiger last 60000KMs or more?

Edited by ttakata

Newguy70 and I went to the Tiger dealer on Phahonyothin in North BKK last week.

They had 2 Sachs and a smaller Tiger 150cc that looked like the Boxer.

There was no Boxer 250 on site but we met an Italian guy that had his there for service.

He really liked his and had it kitted out for touring with his lady on back.

He did trips up to Lao and was on his way to Malaysia soon.

I took a good look at it and for the money it looks to be a great deal but it looks as much as it costs.

Still you get what you pay for as this bike is air/oil cooled with a steel frame.

The welds were poor, likely hand welded as no robot could be so sloppy.

All the brackets were made from steel instead of aluminum.

It looks to be capable but slow.

I'm positive a Suzuki Raider 150 would smoke it in a drag race.

If you must have a new motorcycle this might be the best deal going but I wonder how long these bike last.

I question a Tiger since they don't really promote themselves in their home country and the Thais don't even buy them.

Can a Tiger last 60000KMs or more?

I am very sure it can!

If i hear Kano or Mbox, it sounds like they ride more than 60000km in 1 year. Kano did the half distance in a few month. Without any brakedown, just normal maintenance. And that´s very cheap in a TIGER-Shop.

The Tiger bikes seems to be very rare like their name bothers in the jungle, sadly.

I ordered recently a Retro with side car and the "rig" is delayed again. I get the impression that they will first make it (especially the side car edition) when they get a order.

They have by the way a Boxer 250 in the show room here in Pattaya but don't know if it is sold or what, it is a good looking bike.