Marraige And Declaration Of Assets

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read the thread. Tried the key word search! Please, I need to know if a Thai female national should declare her assets before marrying a foreigner? If you could provide a link or give an example of what must be done to improve the situation? We have a brokerage account in her name (happily together 3 years) and I wondered if it ought to be declared or what? She has no property or any real cash to speak of in a bank account? So why do the government want to take my GF's rights away from her? Sorry if this has been covered before, don't wnat anyone upset, don't you know...

Marriage in Thailand is considered a joint property arrangement so if you split anything earned during the marriage should be shared 50/50. If you want to protect prior savings believe you just declare it at the time of marriage registration (there is a legal document prepared at that time) but do not believe most people bother.

Just what "rights" do you believe your wife will lose after marriage?

Understood! I guess not lopburi3, thank you for your patience. Interesting link re background link http://www.thaiworldview.com/thaiwife.htm if anyone wanna lookie?  :o

Unless of course the thai wife simply files for divorce in the husbands home country thus allowing the vultures loose on the 'home' assets (and others) making any ante-nupte arrangements in Thailand a waste of time and money. I agree view people bother with this subject which can be a costly mistake.

Hello from Vienna!

If you get married in Thailand,nobody in Thailand will ask about your GF asset in Thailand.You will only need to get the "MARRIAGEAPPLICATION" certified from your embassy in Bangkok. The different embassies have several rules or better they will inform you what document they want from your homeland to sign the application of marriage.

You need something like "Certificate of non-impediment of marrige"

In the MARRIAGEAPPLICATION you will have to inform about your anual income,and you need a confirmation of this income from your employer or from your homeland.

Most embassies asks for a copy of both passports.Nobody in Thailand will ask about your GF income.

At the AMPHOR in Thailand the marriage will be registred and if you want you can have made a protocol but there is no law in Thailand that tells that this must be done.

About right after a divorce it is almost not possible to say. If you want to buy something together in Thailand the best would be to use a lawywer to set up an agreement.

In general the law in the country you are living will decide but this is only for property outside Thailand.

I married in Thailand last month and my experience with the Amphor was positive.

All I needed was the translated, and certified marriageapplication from my embassy,both passports,two thai witnesses and no more.Your GF should have the ID card canged at the same time or she might have to go back to do it later. She should as for a copy of the marriage register too,because you will need it later if she applies for visa.

If you intend to take your Thai wife to your homeland,you will have to show proof of your income.The amount differs from one country to the next.

Best Regards

H.Karlsen

Hello from Vienna!

If you get married in Thailand,nobody in Thailand will ask about your GF asset in Thailand.You will only need to get the "MARRIAGEAPPLICATION" certified from your embassy in Bangkok. The different embassies have several rules or better they will inform you what document they want from your homeland to sign the application of marriage.

In the MARRIAGEAPPLICATION you will have to inform about your anual income,and you need a confirmation of this income from your employer or from your homeland.

Most embassies asks for a copy of both passports.Nobody in Thailand will ask about your GF income.

At the AMPHOR in Thailand the marriage will be registred and if you want you can have made a protocol but there is no law in Thailand that tells that this must be done.

About right after a divorce it is almost not possible to say. If you want to buy something together in Thailand the best would be to use a lawywer to set up an agreement.

In general the law in the country you are living will decide but this is only for property outside Thailand.

I married in Thailand last month and my experience with the Amphor was positive.

All I needed was the translated, and certified marriageapplication from my embassy,both passports,two thai witnesses and no more.Your GF should have the ID card canged at the same time or she might have to go back to do it later. She should as for a copy of the marriage register too,because you will need it later if she applies for visa.

If you intend to take your Thai wife to your homeland,you will have to show proof of your income.The amount differs from one country to the next.

Best Regards

H.Karlsen

Hello from Vienna!

Best Regards

H.Karlsen

Holly Cow!