Metereological Department Reports Earthquake Off Coast Of Myanmar

Jai Dee

Metereological Department reports earthquake off coast of Myanmar, felt in high rises of Bangkok

The Metereological Department issued an earthquake notice last night at 8:45 PM.

The notice stated that at 8:30 PM on September 22nd 2008, an earthquake with its center located off the coast of south of Myanmar was recorded.

The epicenter at Latitude 15.7 degrees North and Longtitude 96.3n degrees East shook with a magnitude of 5.5 on the Richter scale.

The event, which took place some 500 kilometers Northwest from Bangkok was felt in several high rise buildings.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 September 2008

I don't want to be around when a reasonably good sized one hits very close to here. People are concerned about the storm surge, but I can assure you, I have a lot less fear of that than an earthquake (plus, we would get some notice of a storm surge).

I don't want to be around when a reasonably good sized one hits very close to here.

People are concerned about the storm surge, but I can assure you, I have a lot less fear of that

than an earthquake (plus, we would get some notice of a storm surge).

Does that mean you are packing up and going home?

To San Francisco, perhaps?? :o

No, Astral, but I used to live in SF. The city seems a little more quake-proof than BKK. I don't worry too much about quakes here, but when there is a little shudder of the ground, it's quite scary to think about what a reasonably big shudder would do.

Metereological Department reports earthquake off coast of Myanmar, felt in high rises of Bangkok

The Metereological Department issued an earthquake notice last night at 8:45 PM.

I myself and my wife felt that - exactly at the time given above.

Bkk, Aree area, 11th floor. The "flying around" was about 7-10sec long.