How Much Do I Need To Earn To Be Comfortable?

mrpinknz

Obviously you not intelligent enough to surmise the type of women the OP would be spending his time with.

From his post you mean to tell me the girls he would most likley go after are interested in nothing but his charm and good looks?

Wow...ignorance is bliss.

He's 24. He can meet all the women in Thailand he wants to based solely on his charm and good looks. His biggest worry will be day to day living expenses, getting to and from work on time, and deciding which chick he meets at RCA he likes the most, not being scammed by some chick from Soi Cowboy.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came to Thailand when I was 26. No job and no idea what to do. I was living on around 10,000 Baht per month. Pattaya not Bangkok but not too dissimilar in living cost I would guess. Wouldn't worry about girl/boyfriend, I didn't and always had company. In fact many times I would be taken out by Thais. As many, I recommend that you try and eat Thai food as much as possible and if alcohol is important, Thai whisky or beer is cheap everywhere except the go-go scene. Try and get accommodation costs down and have a ball. I never regret coming here and after 12 years have a great family and lifestyle. I wake up and count my blessings everyday. Hope it works out for you........

David

East Coast

Once you are in Bangkok, I encourage you to post here regularly on your day to day experiences

I bet my left nut that wont happen. Maybe 30k doable AFTER you have lived here for a few years but for a newbie who likes his green and the beer and the girliies and... Whats I find interesting are the replys saying come to RCA pull the chicks for free <deleted>? That means he has to buy many drinks at night club prices. Better of in Pattaya beach road at 300bht short time

I bet my left nut that wont happen. Maybe 30k doable AFTER you have lived here for a few years but for a newbie who likes his green and the beer and the girliies and... Whats I find interesting are the replys saying come to RCA pull the chicks for free <deleted>? That means he has to buy many drinks at night club prices. Better of in Pattaya beach road at 300bht short time

Have you ever been to RCA or any other Thai club? You don't buy drinks, you make your own. You buy entire 750ml bottles of alcohol for a bit more than you pay at 7-11 plus mixers and ice and pour your own drinks at your table. Everyone, including the girls, have their own bottles of whiskey or vodka at their tables. It is way cheaper than any farang place, which the OP will not really be able to afford on his salary, but he will be able to afford to go to a Thai club several times a week.

Your generalisation about Thai women is ridiculous, I would suggest spending some time in Thailand, not neccessarily on a barstool, then you may be able to give an informative opinion, not a wild generalisation.

You must have an entire library of books at home whose covers are the only thing you've read.

With my ex wife being Thai and all I'll be sure to forget everything she told me about Thai women and take your advice instead.

No sense getting upset at maigo6. You set yourself up for a flogging with your ignorant comment. Many of us have a Thai wife and children that are half Thai.

If this is your ex Thai wifes view about Thai women then one can assume that maybe she was referring to herself. Maybe this is why she is your ex? :o

Have you ever been to RCA or any other Thai club? You don't buy drinks, you make your own. You buy entire 750ml bottles of alcohol for a bit more than you pay at 7-11 plus mixers and ice and pour your own drinks at your table. Everyone, including the girls, have their own bottles of whiskey or vodka at their tables. It is way cheaper than any farang place, which the OP will not really be able to afford on his salary, but he will be able to afford to go to a Thai club several times a week.

Good point and I'm assuming that a bottle of Bombay Gin would be around 1000-1200bht? What about mixers entry fees and tips? Your right I have never been, I'm curious so let me know. That's a lot on his budget

To the OP....

1. The photo reminds me more of the famous Jack Nicholson "I'm a lunatic with a knife" photo....

2. But please do post here on TV which language school you'll be teaching at, so we can be sure to advise everyone we know NOT to send any kids there.

3. To post here about your "green" shows the unfathomable depths of your stupidity about Thailand.... Clueless twit....

4. Feeling REALLY sorry for your future students... Thailand deserves better.

5. With everything you talk about wanting to do lifestyle-wise, and spending half your monthly income on rent (assuming you do), you won't survive in BKK.

6. I have absolutely no "hostility" here.... I'm enjoying my life just fine... But that's because I took the time to actually learn what I needed to know...before moving here, something you've obviously chosen to totally disregard.

Good luck.... Get to work on those lesson plans....

I've never ordered Bombay Saphire at a club before so I'm not sure about price, but the more expensive places will have it. Some will allow you to bring your own bottle, sometimes for free sometimes for say a 200-300 baht corkage fee, so you could drink Bombay that way. Most places have Spey Royal or 100 Pipers at 400-600, JW Red Label 700-1200, and Black Label above that, plus some cheaper bottles of gin or vodka. Mixers are usually 30-50 baht each. Few places have entrance fees, usually only on special occasions like New Years or a concert. Tips are up to you, I'll normally tip 20 baht to the waiter who brings my bottle and mixers, then tip again if I need to order another bottle or more mixers.

Now that Mr. Prinz's little thread is here in the Teaching Forum, what shall we discuss? Please, nothing about penises or breasts or ex-wives.

So, Prinz, care to tell us your academic credentials, teaching experience, etc.? Whatcha think of Bloom's taxonomy, nobody fails in Thailand, 48 students in a classroom, the dress code, split schedules at language schools, etc.?

Now that Mr. Prinz's little thread is here in the Teaching Forum, what shall we discuss? Please, nothing about penises or breasts or ex-wives.

So, Prinz, care to tell us your academic credentials, teaching experience, etc.? Whatcha think of Bloom's taxonomy, nobody fails in Thailand, 48 students in a classroom, the dress code, split schedules at language schools, etc.?

OK ok I promise not to mention my ex wife's penis and breast enlargement :o

To the OP....

1. The photo reminds me more of the famous Jack Nicholson "I'm a lunatic with a knife" photo....

2. But please do post here on TV which language school you'll be teaching at, so we can be sure to advise everyone we know NOT to send any kids there.

3. To post here about your "green" shows the unfathomable depths of your stupidity about Thailand.... Clueless twit....

4. Feeling REALLY sorry for your future students... Thailand deserves better.

5. With everything you talk about wanting to do lifestyle-wise, and spending half your monthly income on rent (assuming you do), you won't survive in BKK.

6. I have absolutely no "hostility" here.... I'm enjoying my life just fine... But that's because I took the time to actually learn what I needed to know...before moving here, something you've obviously chosen to totally disregard.

Good luck.... Get to work on those lesson plans....

Good post.

Anyway Pinky, it looks as though you didn't want advice...you just wanted to hear what pleased you. I don't think you'll be doing much teaching if you insist upon keeping the "I've just had the shit scared out of me" hair-do as well as speaking like one of those moronic American rap dancers.

Good luck with your "pursuits" in Thailand.

Please, nothing about penises or breasts or ex-wives.

Is this moratorium only applicable to the 'Teaching in Thailand Forum'? If you banned discussion of penises, breasts or ex wives it would wipe out half the topics on the 'general discussion' forum...and the entirety of the "Pattaya local forum".

Please, nothing about penises or breasts or ex-wives.

Is this moratorium only applicable to the 'Teaching in Thailand Forum'? If you banned discussion of penises, breasts or ex wives it would wipe out half the topics on the 'general discussion' forum...and the entirety of the "Pattaya local forum".

I merely begged, "Please..." and see what good it did me. We do like to keep on the topic of teaching here, and that usually does not include comparative anatomy. :o

I told him previously to start preparing his lesson plans... But...I'm not sure he knows what a lesson plan is.... :o

Nor would, I imagine, most persons willing to go work for a thousand dollars a month in a Thai school, signing in at the crack of dawn, dealing with absolute lack of job security, and so forth.

One would assume that people who know what a 'lesson plan' (can't say I do) work somewhere that pays them a living, provides them the protection of a union, some health care and retirement.

I told him previously to start preparing his lesson plans... But...I'm not sure he knows what a lesson plan is.... :o

Nor would, I imagine, most persons willing to go work for a thousand dollars a month in a Thai school, signing in at the crack of dawn, dealing with absolute lack of job security, and so forth.

One would assume that people who know what a 'lesson plan' (can't say I do) work somewhere that pays them a living, provides them the protection of a union, some health care and retirement.

Are you mad? What union is there for farang teachers in Thailand?

submaniac and maigo6 f**king great advice ma man. two of the good ones forsure. dont know whats with all the hostility here tho aha

You'd do well to listen to all advice not just the advice you want to hear......... is my advice

You'd do well to ignore advice that is not advice at all......... is my advice. :o

None, obviously. If you had read my post carefully you would see that I was stating that qualified persons will choose to work where such union protection is available, namely, in their home countries. And not in the ripoff world of teaching in Thailand.

None, obviously. If you had read my post carefully you would see that I was stating that qualified persons will choose to work where such union protection is available, namely, in their home countries. And not in the ripoff world of teaching in Thailand.

Extremely well qualified professional educators from Western countries earn over 100K per month in true-blue international schools here, without union protection. But that is not five percent of the farang teachers here. There are also a fair amount of well qualified but not top-notch credentialed teachers here in a few select Thai schools making over 60K under decent conditions, but they also have select jobs.

>..We do like to keep on the topic of teaching here,

I wonder what the OP had to do with teaching - the core subject was money and his spending 'habits'.

Neither of which sit very well with some elements of teaching.

Choosing to teach in Thailand says a lot about the person, IMHO, here for the avalibilty of 24 hour 7-11s or elephant watching?

Yo! Im heading over to bangkok in about 2-3 weeks to work for a language school for 12 months. I believe ill be earning around 30-35000 baht to begin with. My question is, is this enough to live? i like having a good time and im keen to stay in a nice pad and live close to the skytrain, as ill be working in the centre. A family friend has offered me a dope studio apartment in central bangkok for 13000 per month, its got a pool gym fully furnished separated wireless net big plasma screen cable and stuff. is this kosha? how much should i be spending on accommodation? how much do beers cost out on the town? how much do dozen packs of beer cost? how much does food cost per day? im not that fussy with food but remember that im white so i need some degree of quality. what does the skytrain cost per month? i like to listen to loud music and play guitar, will this be a problem in an apartment? how much do i need for a good enough night life? and finally how much do ciggies cost? what about green? is it easy to find? any advice or your thoughts and recommendations are totally appreciated. if anyone has similar interests and feels my steeze u may email me privately. thanx to all in advance! oh and if anyone wouldnt mind another tenant in their place let me know! heres a picture of me, and im 24.

Complicated question.

As I see it you might have to adjust your life style and if you are able to avoid alcohol then you have a good chance to survive but you should look for a cheaper place to stay.

After you been here for awhile you will discover that the expenses for surviving not have to be as much as other telling you and then its all up to you if you want to live and work here.

I know several foreign people that have an income about 30.000 THB and they have no problem to live on that.

I whish you good luck as a teacher here in Thailand and hope you gonna like your job too.

Regards