How Much Do I Need To Earn To Be Comfortable?

mrpinknz

To the OP....

1. The photo reminds me more of the famous Jack Nicholson "I'm a lunatic with a knife" photo....

2. But please do post here on TV which language school you'll be teaching at, so we can be sure to advise everyone we know NOT to send any kids there.

3. To post here about your "green" shows the unfathomable depths of your stupidity about Thailand.... Clueless twit....

4. Feeling REALLY sorry for your future students... Thailand deserves better.

5. With everything you talk about wanting to do lifestyle-wise, and spending half your monthly income on rent (assuming you do), you won't survive in BKK.

6. I have absolutely no "hostility" here.... I'm enjoying my life just fine... But that's because I took the time to actually learn what I needed to know...before moving here, something you've obviously chosen to totally disregard.

Good luck.... Get to work on those lesson plans....

Thank you for the one piece of useful information you gave regarding rent. Just because im young, have a life, and like to have fun doesn't mean I would be a sh*t teacher, I'm native in english and french, have a degree in commercial law and international business and work extremely well with people of all ages and all abilities. Don''t judge someone by what they do in their private time, everyone has their secrets and you'd be naive and ignorant to comment on something you know so little about. My original post contained many questions, and as human beings we learn from peoples advice, comments and mistakes of our own. You won't find out which school I'll be working for. The students will be lucky to have me. You're an idiot. Look up hostility in the dictionary and reread your post, and the school provides lesson plans, this is reflected in my salary. Think mate, think.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope all the real Thailand teachers out there in the Teaching Forum can give the OP good advice on all the things he's really interested in... which have nothing to do with teaching, of course. :o

There's more to life than work, if im going to take the leap and plan properly I need to know everything, not just one side of things.

Edited by mrpinknz

Now that Mr. Prinz's little thread is here in the Teaching Forum, what shall we discuss? Please, nothing about penises or breasts or ex-wives.

So, Prinz, care to tell us your academic credentials, teaching experience, etc.? Whatcha think of Bloom's taxonomy, nobody fails in Thailand, 48 students in a classroom, the dress code, split schedules at language schools, etc.?

Hey, so far I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on. I have a law and business degree, dress code is formal so no doubt i'll be getting a haircut and wearing a shirt, black pants and black shoes everyday and be groomed, and I understand teachers are respected and judged heavily by their physical appearance. I know nothing of bloom's taxonomy and I'm aware nobody fails in Thailand and I disagree with this, nor can I do anything about this. I have friends who are teachers and have learned alot from them obviously as I have secured a job after hours of phone interviews. However i'm not a teacher and I admit I have alot to learn. But I am qualified enough to teach basic english and leave people who are willing to learn with a sound grasp of basic grammatical correctness. I believe my teaching methods will be heavily graphically based, concentrating mainly on oral english rather than written english. Thanks for your interest

Edited by mrpinknz

I'd just like to say: cool it, guys. Try to avoid talking about wives and stick to the topic. We're not going to have a discussion here about whether most Thai women or most Thai people or most Thai wives are prostitutes or not- they're not- and any attempt to move the thread in that direction henceforth will earn warnings and posting holidays.

On topic: I think there's something under the bridge, but assuming that the OP is even marginally sincere: Thailand doesn't need teachers who are dumb enough to start a forum topic simultaneously expressing their interest both in teaching and illegal, highly taboo drugs.

Moved to the Teaching Forum.

Having read the page or two of posts following the move (arbitrary) to the teaching forum, I can't help but wonder if life was not getting a little stale in the teaching forum and you decided to move the thread there to spice up your area and attract some TV members that would otherwise not visit the teaching forum.

After all, there is nothing in the OP's thread title that mentions teaching, in fact he only mentions teaching in passing, as the proposed source of his income whilst living in Bangkok. He asks NO teaching in Thailand related questions at all in his OP and was really only looking for some tips as to where best to buy his booze, ciggies and green at the same time as asking about the appropriateness of his rent. So where does this fit in the teaching in Thailand forum? Methinks you, PB and the Cuban were bored and needed some new blood.

midas, you make some good points, but we can all read all the forums. We often take things out of General Forum because it gets too crowded there. So let's leave it here for now, especially since so many of the regular TV members commented in regard to his teaching status, and he has also done so.

Having read the page or two of posts following the move (arbitrary) to the teaching forum, I can't help but wonder if life was not getting a little stale in the teaching forum and you decided to move the thread there to spice up your area and attract some TV members that would otherwise not visit the teaching forum.

After all, there is nothing in the OP's thread title that mentions teaching, in fact he only mentions teaching in passing, as the proposed source of his income whilst living in Bangkok. He asks NO teaching in Thailand related questions at all in his OP and was really only looking for some tips as to where best to buy his booze, ciggies and green at the same time as asking about the appropriateness of his rent. So where does this fit in the teaching in Thailand forum? Methinks you, PB and the Cuban were bored and needed some new blood.

Cheers man. I've learnt alot in this forum and one thing's forsure, where ever you go one must be a fox in order to recognize traps cos someones always out to get ya. Be it Thai hookers, bangkok coppers, and TV members. Woot to Niccolo.

midas, you make some good points, but we can all read all the forums. We often take things out of General Forum because it gets too crowded there. So let's leave it here for now, especially since so many of the regular TV members commented in regard to his teaching status, and he has also done so.

Hey PB, sorry about that, my comments were "tongue in cheek" not intended to offend. Cheers

I am sure you will make a fine teacher OP. You have your age, and you seem to have held your own after 125+ posts. Not bad for a newbie and now member. Just be careful with your "extracurricular activities" and you will be fine. It is good that you found the positive through all the negative here. Again cheers and good luck! :o

Edited by mizzi39

Hi Mr. Pink,

I wanted to add one more thing. There have been posts about the 'extracurricular' activities (green in color). Some of it was tongue in cheek, but we are serious that you should not mess with it. Thailand is a very laidback place. The term "mai bpen rai" (translated: 'don't worry about it', 'it's ok', 'no big deal') will be often heard here. Thais are laid back about alot of things. Such things as sex, alcohol, Thais are definately more relaxed than in the West. But there are certain things that you absolutely cannot mess with. One of them is drugs and it really is a no no here. See this thread: consequences for drugs

Drug dealers in Thailand have been summarily (and extrajudicially) executed by the Thai police. (Like taken to a remote location, shot, and the bodies never found.) Smuggling or dealing can result in the death penalty under Thai law as well.

But for you I would be cautious on anyone who 'claims' to be able to procure drugs. It is a big scam here to set up the farang with drugs so that they could be busted by the police. There have been a couple posts here about some farang buying drugs, or giving some Thai girl money, and she comes back with drugs and then 15 minutes later the cops raid the hotel room or apartment. Then the cops demand a great deal of money, and if the farang does not have it, the farang goes to prison. I cannot vouch for the truth of the postings because it is heresay.

I can tell you about my neighbor (now former neighbor) who---according to his parents--just got in a car with someone who had drugs in the car. He was dropped off by this person at his house, but the guy in the car was stopped by the police, which apparently had surveillance on him. Even though the neighbor did not have drugs on him, the cops had videotape of him inside the car and hanging out with the person who had the drugs. He is my 'former' neighbor because they had to sell the house to pay for the legal fees and the bail. Just food for thought.

Such things as sex, alcohol, Thais are definately more relaxed than in the West.

Above is just not true.

Actually in some senses it is very true.

Consider how Thai neighbours might react to a single man entertaining a lady of the night in his home. Invariably there would be some joking at his expense and at worst raised eyebrows.

Now consider how neighbours would react in the West to a single man taking such a lady for a night. The man invariably would be branded a pervert and he would be ostracized thereon.

Such things as sex, alcohol, Thais are definately more relaxed than in the West.

Yeah, if you are 9-5 in PATPONG... Above is just not true.

Yeah, whatever.

In California if you are convicted of drunk drive (BAC lever >0.08) you will face a minimum $2500 fine, your license will be suspended, and you will do a mandatory 48 hours in jail on a first offense. In Thailand, if you are caught driving drunk, you will probably slip the policeman (or policewoman) several hundred baht and they will probably let you drive off (or ride off in the case of a motorcycle) on the vehicle they caught you on. Which country is more lenient on alcohol?

In the City of Los Angeles, several years ago, there was an ordinance that if a person was convicted of soliciting a prostitute in their car, the car was seized and sold by the city. In the county of San Bernardino there was a recent crackdown on prostitution where men caught picking up a prostitute had their pictures published in the newspaper. In Thailand areas such as Patpong, Soi Cowboy, and the whole of Pattaya, no one really cares. Which country has a more relaxed attitude on sex?

Yeah, if you are 9-5 in PATPONG... Above is just not true.

Yeah, whatever.

In California if you are convicted of drunk drive (BAC lever >0.08) you will face a minimum $2500 fine, your license will be suspended, and you will do a mandatory 48 hours in jail on a first offense. In Thailand, if you are caught driving drunk, you will probably slip the policeman (or policewoman) several hundred baht and they will probably let you drive off (or ride off in the case of a motorcycle) on the vehicle they caught you on. Which country is more lenient on alcohol?

In the City of Los Angeles, several years ago, there was an ordinance that if a person was convicted of soliciting a prostitute in their car, the car was seized and sold by the city. In the county of San Bernardino there was a recent crackdown on prostitution where men caught picking up a prostitute had their pictures published in the newspaper. In Thailand areas such as Patpong, Soi Cowboy, and the whole of Pattaya, no one really cares. Which country has a more relaxed attitude on sex?

Now you're just rambling, are those seriously your arguments? I think you should've mentioned if this was not in regards to the "general public" but police corruption. If you are ever in contact with "decent" Thais, then you would think differently.

Edited by DB84

I think if you re-read it carefully, most members were commenting not so much on his teaching status, but rather on his idiocy.

But perhaps the two are interchangeable.

If you are ever in contact with "decent" Thais, then you would think differently.

Yeah, I suppose you are right and know it all. It's not like I am Thai, was born in Bangkok (Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom), still hold dual Thai/US citizenship (meaning I can, and do own land), worked in Bangkok, am in Thailand at my house right now, and can count 18 relatives within a 40 km radius of my house. Maybe one day--one day--I could be in contact with a 'decent' Thai. I would be ever so grateful if you could impart your wisdom so that I could perhaps aspire to your level of familiarity with Thai culture.

If you are ever in contact with "decent" Thais, then you would think differently.

Yeah, I suppose you are right and know it all. It's not like I am Thai, was born in Bangkok (Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom), still hold dual Thai/US citizenship (meaning I can, and do own land), worked in Bangkok, am in Thailand at my house right now, and can count 18 relatives within a 40 km radius of my house. Maybe one day--one day--I could be in contact with a 'decent' Thai. I would be ever so grateful if you could impart your wisdom so that I could perhaps aspire to your level of familiarity with Thai culture.

That's even worse... been living in a mental asylum all these years?

By the way, amusing that you dodged the first part of my post.

Anyways, nice stats dude.

Edited by DB84

That's even worse... been living in a mental asylum all these years?

By the way, amusing that you dodged the first part of my post.

Anyways, nice stats dude.

Dodging the first part of your post? Fine, if you really want other examples of how Thailand is more lenient than the west which does not involve police corruption:

Alcohol: In generally every local jurisdiction, it is a crime to sit outside in public and drink alcohol. Go to a public place in the United States, say sit outside the curb at an elementary school, and start drinking a can of beer and see what happens. It's called 'public consumption of alcohol'. Thailand, if walk down the soi there is quite a good chance you will see someone drinking alcohol. Do you think anyone in Thailand cares? At work in the U.S., if I had a few drinks at lunch, the boss would have a little 'chat' with me. I went to visit a farang friend at work the other day (he was going to sell me a watch) and he's got a beer at his desk. I watched him guzzle down a pint at his apartment before we left. The Thai people leave early to go to bars and clubs, and on Friday nights they gamble at the workplace. Mai bpen rai.

Sex? New York governor hires a call girl, and it is on the front page of the tabloids and all over the television news. Frank Gifford hires a hooker and its on the tabloids. Heidi Fleis, Charlie Sheen. Hire a hooker and its a scandal. Have you heard of a Thai politician getting in trouble for hiring a hooker? Have you ever seen that on the front page of the Bangkok Post? Do you think that they don't hire hookers in Thailand, is that the reason? If they do hire hookers, do you think anyone cares? How about successful business men? Ever heard of a "mia noi" or "gik"? It really isn't that socially acceptable in Thailand, but it is more so than in the West.

Nice stats dude. Well thanks "Dude". Judging from the intellectual prowess of your posts, "Dude", I take it that you are not one of the more 'mature' members of this forum. So what do you do? Let me guess, you teach English, right? How long have you been here 'dude'?

What a year? Maybe two? But now you know everything about Thai culture don't you. You know it better than the Thais too. So much that you can presume to tell someone who was born here and spent a significant portion of his life here how Thai culture really works. And you are probably the one sitting there on the corner chatting to anyone who will listen about how Thailand does things all wrong, and how it's not like the West, and this country could be great if they did things 'your way'. And when you spend your meager pay check you get a little attitude that your money runs this place. Now do you ever sit and wonder why alot of Thais don't get all teary eyed when they see you guys on a plane heading back to farangland.

Presumably you mean the middle class, who are quite judgemental and unpleasant, certainly. It is unfortunately a necessary evil to associate with such people when one must earn one's bread (and hooker money) by teaching.

But even so, nearly all middle class Thai men certainly do visit prostitutes occasionally, some even regularly. The Thai bourgeoisie tend to save their harshest disapproval for the despised foreigner, though it is hardly clear whether this is motivated by 'decency' (sexual prudery), xenophobia, or simply envy for the foriegner's enormous salary (30,000 baht).

Good points submaniac.Sounds like DB84 has a different take and a different ramble. After all he surrounds himself with "decent" Thais. :D Just another know it all, that's all. :o

Good points submaniac.Sounds like DB84 has a different take and a different ramble. After all he surrounds himself with "decent" Thais. :D Just another know it all, that's all. :o

And yet another thread goes the way of so many, degenerating into a pissing contest between members who should know better. Submaniac for someone who claims Thai heritage and upbringing, along with knowledge of Thai culture, your responses are quite "Un-Thai".

Back to the OP, I think you probably have enough answers to make some choices now so do you reckon the mods should close the thread before there are death threats made?

And yet another thread goes the way of so many, degenerating into a pissing contest between members who should know better. Submaniac for someone who claims Thai heritage and upbringing, along with knowledge of Thai culture, your responses are quite "Un-Thai".

Back to the OP, I think you probably have enough answers to make some choices now so do you reckon the mods should close the thread before there are death threats made?

I think to be fair to submaniac he had had his button pushed. After all, how would you take it if some "dude" from another country came over and told you that they had a better understanding than you of your homeland? I've been here ten years and can speak the language reasonably, but would never presume to know more about Thai people and Thai culture than Thai people themselves.

So Mr. DB84, you accused submaniac of dodging questions, let's here you answer this one. Just what is your background and what is this wealth of experience you have that gives you a greater command and understanding of Thai culture than Thai people themselves?

Yo! Your right, I reckon its time to close this thread forsure. Thanks again midas for your advice, thanks submaniac for your extracurricular activity advice, I now know how to handle the jandle, no doubt you boys have probably saved my life. Cheers mizzi for your thoughts and advice! Thanks to all who posted - even the bullshit comments cos we all had a laugh. Best Regards to all, Ciao in BKK!