Vientiane Visa

Please forgive me in advance for asking about information which is probably already on the forum but I haven't been able to locate it. Anyway to the point I have a couple of questions What are the opening hours at the Thai embassy in Vientiane? Secondly how much is the 60 day tourist visa and how much is each additional one? Also what documentation do I need to show, plane ticket and/or funds in the bank? I would really appreciate any help. Also has anyone done the trip lately

Thanks

(this forum is fantastic I can only imagine 10 years ago when this type of info just couldn't be found easily)

Thank god for the internet.

Most of your questions can be answered by going to the following link for the consulate in Vientiane.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

Ministry of forign affairs gives requirements to get visa

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

To get there if you want the easy way out there are companies doing visa runs to Vientiane.

On your own you have to go to Nong Kai cross the bridge and get visa on arrival for Laos that costs 1500 baht.

You will have to spend at least one night because after applying you have to wait until the next afternoon to pick up passport.

:o

Most of your questions can be answered by going to the following link for the consulate in Vientiane.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

Ministry of forign affairs gives requirements to get visa

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

To get there if you want the easy way out there are companies doing visa runs to Vientiane.

On your own you have to go to Nong Kai cross the bridge and get visa on arrival for Laos that costs 1500 baht.

You will have to spend at least one night because after applying you have to wait until the next afternoon to pick up passport.

Don't agree this is the "easy way". After all, you could be stuck on a bus full of well, people you'd rather not be around I guess is a nice way of saying it. Do it yourself! Take an extra day, relax -more stressful by far I say with these one nighter tours. And it isn't any cheaper, and I doubt that they'll put you in for a double entry either whereas by yourself, its a gimme (at the moment!).

I am planning to make this trip in the next couple weeks to apply for a double entry tourist visa. Requirements on web site above say an air ticket out of the country is required. Does Vientiane consulte ask for this ?

Don't know the answer to your question.

But I would say better safe than sorry.

You could get a one way to a nearby location. Or a round trip for your visa run after the 90 days if you extend and have a two entry permit. Just checked on Air Asia for a round trip on Dec. 20 (three months from today is Christmas more or less so I used the 20th) it is 5169 baht. That's probably not much more than a land border run would be.

:o

Don't agree this is the "easy way". After all, you could be stuck on a bus full of well, people you'd rather not be around I guess is a nice way of saying it. Do it yourself! Take an extra day, relax -more stressful by far I say with these one nighter tours. And it isn't any cheaper, and I doubt that they'll put you in for a double entry either whereas by yourself, its a gimme (at the moment!).

I agree with you.

What I meant by easy way was that you don't have to organize and do everything yourself.

I don't like the all night trips either, I would prefer to take a train or bus early morning get to Nong Kai spend the night get up at your leisure the next day cross bridge get a hotel and go to the consulate the next morning. But from BKK I think you willd find that most of the trains/buses are all nighters. For me of course it was a drive from Ubon, overnight Nong Kai, consulate next day, overnight Vientiane, pick up visa and then overnight Koen Ken and then home the next day.

Of course if you want to make it real easy just fly somewhere.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am planning to make this trip in the next couple weeks to apply for a double entry tourist visa. Requirements on web site above say an air ticket out of the country is required. Does Vientiane consulte ask for this ?

On 10 August 08 when I checked in at the Thai Airways counter at Suvamabhumi I was asked if I had an onward ticket leaving from Vientiene, the lady looked a little embarrassed and said she "had to ask". I answered that i did have a ticket on Air Asia leaving from Udon Thani to Bangkok on 14th August, but it was tucked in the side pocket of my suitcase which they had just weighed in and I would be very happy to show her the copy of said travel itinerary but would need to have my bag back.  (This was true, I did have the print out in my suitcase, just shoved it in before rushing to get taxi before leaving to go to the airport). She just said "mai pen rai" and that was that.