Best Route Chiang Mai To Surin?

jaideeguy

It's been several years since i made the trip down from CM and maybe some new roads have been added/improved. From CM, I used to go south on 11 and east on 12 to khon kaen, then south again on 2, then cut diagonally across to Buri Ram and on to Surin. I heard that they have improved some of the roads on the last leg and would like to hear confirmation from locals.......

Thanks in advance...

There's the Kosa and Charoen Thani which I think are around 1000 -1200 baht per night, check on websites

There is a new hotel near the bus station, which is close to your price range and seems okay, if fairly basic

http://www.bussarakamhotel.com/

The main downside is that it does not have a swimming pool. The Charoen Thani Princess and Kosa are a bit more expensive, and rooms in the latter can be rather worn. Agree the Sofitel is tops but the price seems to be going up and up.

The bussarakamhotel looks like good value....all I am looking for is a quiet room with a comfortable bed and being new is a big plus. Thanks for that tip!!

Now, can anyone suggest the best drive route to Surin from Chiang Mai?? Any new short cuts????

It's been several years since i made the trip down from CM and maybe some new roads have been added/improved. From CM, I used to go south on 11 and east on 12 to khon kaen, then south again on 2, then cut diagonally across to Buri Ram and on to Surin. I heard that they have improved some of the roads on the last leg and would like to hear confirmation from locals.......

Thanks in advance...

You already have the best route to Khon Kaen.

South on 2 out of Khon Kaen to Phon. Take 207 south east to 202. East on 202 to 219. South on 219 straight to Buriram. The GPS shows a closer route off 219 to Surin but they are four digit roads that may not be very good.

Edited by Gary A

We stayed recently at the Sofitel Khon Kaen and it was the best night's sleep of our 10 day Isaan driving holiday.

Totally agree. I went there about 2 years ago, walked up to the desk and asked for the VIP room at a discount. I got it from I think 1,700 including breakfast for my wife and daughter. The room was huge and very comfortable.