Uk Citizenship For Eea Spouse

Hi,

I'm a Norwegian citizen, having worked in UK for the past 4 years. My Thai wife has been living with me in these 4 years, on a EEA family permit.

I have no plans to change to British citizenship, but my wife would like to do so. Checking with the Home Office, they let me know that she can apply for British Citizenship after 5 years (thus, next year), and do not need to change her visa before that. However, she needs to prove that she has been working during those 5 years. The woman on the phone was not very informative on this topic, rather repeatedly asked me to wait one more year and then check if the rules has changed.

Well, she hasn't worked here, except as a housewife. Is anyone aware of the current regulations - is it a necessity to have been working during the 5 years? Is there any way that she can get a British Citizenship?

rgds

nm

Hi,

I'm a Norwegian citizen, having worked in UK for the past 4 years. My Thai wife has been living with me in these 4 years, on a EEA family permit.

I have no plans to change to British citizenship, but my wife would like to do so. Checking with the Home Office, they let me know that she can apply for British Citizenship after 5 years (thus, next year), and do not need to change her visa before that. However, she needs to prove that she has been working during those 5 years. The woman on the phone was not very informative on this topic, rather repeatedly asked me to wait one more year and then check if the rules has changed.

Well, she hasn't worked here, except as a housewife. Is anyone aware of the current regulations - is it a necessity to have been working during the 5 years? Is there any way that she can get a British Citizenship?

rgds

nm

I don't think she has to have been working, just resident in the UK for the years prior to application. She will have to pass the Life in the UK test as well. Found this page from a google search, which goes into it in a bit of depth and they have OISC & ILPA accreditation, so hopefully it's accurate.

Hi,

rgds

nm

Having though about this, are you sure it was your wife that they said would need to produce proof of working in the UK and not yourself? Your wife is here on the EEA spouse visa, so maybe they meant you have to prove you have been wokring here for the required period and that your wife has been with you over this period. That would seem more logical.

By my estimation, your wife will be able to apply for naturalisation after 6 years as she will need to have held permanent residence for one year before applying, so she'll do 5 years on her residence card as the spouse of an EEA citizen plus 1 year permanent residence.

In order to get her permanent residence, your wife does not need to demonstrate that she has been economically active, but, rather, that she continues to be the spouse of an EEA citizen who is considered to be a "qualified person". Obviously, if she wishes to naturalise as a British citizen, she'll need also to pass either an ESOL with Citizenship course or the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just about to say... Pls contact DAVIES KHAN. I got the info I needed from him (Scouse). He is the best ever, everything you want to know about Immigration matters just email the company. I'm married to a Frenchman and been living in London for years too.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

rgds

Great , now getting to choose what nationality you want to be, sure beats visa runs, i dont think thailand would be so accommodating. ----Taking the piss, or what

nm