Baking A Cake

Tywais

Every once in a while I will bake a cake. I won't say "make" it because I use pre-mixed cake mix (I'm sure the chefs are saying tsk tsk.) Specifically Betty Crocker Chocolate Devil's food cake. It always comes out very light and tasty. I've been using a 9" x 3" deep round aluminum pan. The problem is it always "cones", that is rather then flat or slightly rounded it is tent shaped with a high center and lower edges.

The question is what am I doing wrong and how to get the normal slightly rounded top. Is it too high an oven heat or too much batter in one pan. Should I split it into two pans instead? I do coat the pan bottom and sides with Crisco shortening but the same problem when I use vegetable oil.

Every once in a while I will bake a cake. I won't say "make" it because I use pre-mixed cake mix (I'm sure the chefs are saying tsk tsk.) Specifically Betty Crocker Chocolate Devil's food cake. It always comes out very light and tasty. I've been using a 9" x 3" deep round aluminum pan. The problem is it always "cones", that is rather then flat or slightly rounded it is tent shaped with a high center and lower edges.

The question is what am I doing wrong and how to get the normal slightly rounded top. Is it too high an oven heat or too much batter in one pan. Should I split it into two pans instead? I do coat the pan bottom and sides with Crisco shortening but the same problem when I use vegetable oil.

Sounds to me that your oven is not at full temperature before starting.

Sounds to me that your oven is not at full temperature before starting.

I turn the oven on to the temperature recommended on the box about 20 minutes before putting it in and the light goes out showing it has reached temperature.

Could be the heat is not evenly distributed throughout the oven.

It is a table top oven, much larger then your standard toaster ovens but smaller then a real oven so heat distribution (localized) could be a problem. I just found a post of the first cake (same type) I did a couple of years ago here. After all this time, still comes out the same.

//edit - the only reason I was looking for a fix is that I'm baking one for the secretary and assistant who went out of their way to help me through my annual visa and WP extension. It doesn't matter how it looks at home, it still eats the same. :o

Sounds to me the oven is the issue, uneven heating.

Get yourself a flat ceramic dish from a department store which should help a bit and they are fantastic for cooking other things as well like chicken, pork, salmon steaks, grouper fillets. Just a little foil on top and remove during the ten minutes for browning

Get yourself a flat ceramic dish from a department store which should help a bit and they are fantastic for cooking other things as well like chicken, pork, salmon steaks, grouper fillets. Just a little foil on top and remove during the ten minutes for browning

Good idea, thanks for that. Seems glass ware and aluminum behave differently when baking (as you can tell, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to baking). :o

Since I want to take it in to work tomorrow I decided to try something different. I split the mix in half and put half in a smaller 8" shallower cake pan and the other half into muffin pans. The muffins are in the oven now and will see what happens.

They're done. The cupcakes came out perfect with a nice crown. The smaller round pan didn't help, still looks like a volcano erupting. :o Will try to find the ceramic or glassware and see how that works and a temperature probe for the oven because I don't know how accurate the temperature control is and use experience for cooking other items in it. The house smells really good now. :D

I'd say you oven temperature is too high with a hot-area in the center - try lowering it to 180C or even 170C- also, when finished do not remove it from the oven immediately but let it cool for 1/2 hour in the oven while it is switched off or turn the oven down to 80C since you are using a table-top oven which will not keep the temperature as long as a normal oven would - this will stop the cracks in the top - you can also try and cover the cake with foil for the first 1/2 hour of baking which will also result in a more even heat distribution and a more even rising of the cake and lastly place a small bowl with water into the oven while the cake is baking - the moisture will also help a more even baking process (not only with yeast based products)

the lower temp will require a longer baking process so check with a long toothpick for readyness

Edited by JohnBKKK

Make two cakes the same - cut the cone off (and disgard) - sandwich the two good halves together with a thick layer of butter icing (butter mixed in powdered sugar) - cover top with powdered sugar - maybe use a template to make it 'pretty'.

I say get out the thermocouples and perform a heat temp profile of the oven to see if it is indeed the culprit......

Actually I have an 8 channel TC data acquisition system and could do a full profile of the oven ramp and distribution, but hey - it's only a cake. :D

the lower temp will require a longer baking process so check with a long toothpick for readyness

I see about half way through the baking cycle it looks perfect then it starts coning. You're probably right about too much heat, the outsides get done but the center is still warming up. Yep, always test with a toothpick.

Make two cakes the same - cut the cone off (and disgard) - sandwich the two good halves together with a thick layer of butter icing (butter mixed in powdered sugar) - cover top with powdered sugar - maybe use a template to make it 'pretty'.

Butter icing, will have to give that a try, sounds really good.

Gave it to the secretaries this morning and watched the raised eyebrows and grins of surprise. Seemed to go over well regardless of appearance in that it was all gone in about 10 minutes. My boss reserved a piece and commented that not only am I an engineer but I can cook too. :o

Why haven't I thought of that ? .. guess you must be a baker :D but not butter cream ... all they seem to know in LOS is buttercream .. I hate buttercream .. why not make a nice nougat cream instead put it in between the 2 sheets and than, using a pallet knife spread it around the outside as well - now that would be a cake to show off with :o

Nougat sugar, golden syrup, honey and water heat until 127C than poor into stiffly beaten eggwhites - add chrushed, roasted nuts and some vanilla extract - easy to make and sooo delishious

Why haven't I thought of that ? .. guess you must be a baker
...you are too kind.

But as Tywais impilcates engineers are smart people and can normally have a fair stab at any subject. I've always had an interest in science of food. (Round salt anyone?) The heat issue with the cake in the oven is just a chemistry and physics enabled by engineering to provide a controlled enviroment. Recovering from a cake failure is engineering.

I read this the other day.

Edited by Cuban

The outside of the cake is cooking faster than the inside, hence the doming. This might be because the oven is too hot, your cake tin is too high in the oven or the outside of the tin is just getting too hot. So either lower the rack, verify the temperature or, a trick my old mum used to use, wrap the outside of the cake tin in brown paper (it keeps the outside temperature down). Whatever you do, it will always dome slightly, but ideally in a gentle curve.

Then email me a slice.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have seen the same problem before here in Thailand. If you have a small counter top oven there are 2 heating elements-top and bottom. Try this preheat the oven with both elements on, then turn off the top one for baking time.

I have also try to be careful to insulate the bottom of my pan with either a pizza stone or at least a tray with a silicone baking mat on it. Lets the heat distribute more evenly.

Also if you have good non-stick cake pans do not grease the sides this will result in a flatter and denser cake in any kind of oven. Martha taught me that trick many years ago.