I'm heading to Laos next week for as tourist visa and yes I have some questions. Do I need to show an airline ticket( onward ticket leaving thailand) at the thai embassy ???? Also can i pay everything in baht I heard its best to carry some U.S $$$$$$ can anyone shed any light on these questions If you can I will be eternally greatfull.

thanks

1) you will not need any ticket

2) you can pay the embassy in Baht (2k for a double entry tourist visa)

3) you might save a bit of cash at the Lao border if you pay for your visa in USD

Sorry, :o

There is a big billboard now on the Lao side of the Friendship bridge with the prices for the trip to Vientiane!

PREPOSTEROUS! :D

Unfortunately the Laotians are learning from the Thais how to overprice!

There are two boots for money exchange too,either side of the border,the exchange rate seems fair,but I didn't use them.

You can pay for most of your needs in Baht, Hotels, Embassy. I wouldn't advice anyone to carry to much cash anywhere anytime, however Laos is a developing country and there are a few ATMs, (BBL SCB KTB) I was once told(not confirm) that you can only withdraw Bt Two Hundred per Day(200)(??) So might want to carry as much cash as you think you might need. Good luck, hope you have a wonderful trip. Drop us a note here a let us all no how things go. :o

You can pay for most of your needs in Baht, Hotels, Embassy. I wouldn't advice anyone to carry to much cash anywhere anytime, however Laos is a developing country and there are a few ATMs, (BBL SCB KTB) I was once told(not confirm) that you can only withdraw Bt Two Hundred per Day(200)(??) So might want to carry as much cash as you think you might need. Good luck, hope you have a wonderful trip. Drop us a note here a let us all no how things go. :o

You can draw now from the ATM in Vientiane up to a million Kip(and ONLY Kip),at current rates about 4000 Baht.

The service is a little expensive,due to duty and exchange rates,I presume.

Laos is wonderful..........it's cheap, it's friendly and easy....

Top tips.... get your visa for laos in Bangkok...Thai culture centre MRT and mo/cy taxi 40 baht. laos visa depends on country most 1400 for next day or 1600 for 1 hour service. Also can get in Nong Khai........Can go Udon thani to Vientiane 2 hours 80baht ....painless....also nong Khai to Vien 60 baht.

If at border on Laos side walk diagonally right to "blue noddy bus" gets to Vientiane 1 hour 20 baht.

After that Beerlaos on the Mekong for sunset 45 baht large beer............Lovely.....

Visa service very sweet .............vang Vien very sweet....................................

...................................... all in all the best of border runs in the best of all posssible worlds

Chokdee and kop jai dur :-)

3) you might save a bit of cash at the Lao border if you pay for your visa in USD

There is a big billboard now on the Lao side of the Friendship bridge with the prices for the trip to Vientiane!

There are two boots for money exchange too,either side of the border,the exchange rate seems fair,but I didn't use them.

Huh ? 300 baht for the trip into Vientiane (by private taxi), seems very reasonable to me. Has been 250 baht for some years, they now increased it by 50 baht, probably as fuel is up in Laos as well. Cheaper options are available.

I do agree that the tuk tuk drivers that cater to tourists are rip-off artists. 40.000 kip for a trip to That Luang (which is less then 4 KM from the river) is way too much, they quoted me 80.000 kip return, they took me for 50.000, which is still way too much for such a short trip.

Regarding cash, bring Thai baht, and exchange some of it to Kip at any bank, as you will get overcharged if you use thai baht for everything. ATM's are indeed increasing, but sometimes refuse to work for whatever reason.

Sorry, :D

Well at least there can be no mistake about the price, that is something the Thai can learn from Laos than.... :o

I'd recommend keeping everything in Thai baht. The fee at the airport in Laos can be paid with USD or Baht. The people in Laos don't like using Laos money (Kip), they will charge you more if you do use it and it's very confusing anyway. There's an ATM down from the consulate, in front of the Toyota dealer that will let you take up to 3 million in a day, if I'm not mistaken.

There's also a fellow that hangs out at the consulate, he calls himself Mr. Oun; speaks decent english; he can help you out. He charges, but he's honest and he'll fill out your paperwork; they won't even hardly glance at it inside. He can fill out the paperwork for the O visa, or whatever you're looking to get.

Also, there's a Tex-Mex restaurant/bar that's not to bad; it's down on beach road and has decent chips and salsa and burritos. They even sell Corona, I don't recommend Beer Lao... I couldn't stand it. Thank goodness I sit or have to lay down after getting smashed. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Please tell us what prices where marked up on the billboard.