Mailing Passport To Another Country For A Visa ....

Digitalchromokey posted the following correct statement in another thread.

" BTW It is illegal to be without your passport in Thailand - better get a second one. You cannot post a passport overseas from Thailand to get a Thai visa.

I have a 1 year Non B multiple that is due to run out soon. I also recently acquired a work permit. I am being told that my local Immigration will NOT give me a 1 year extension because the company is also new and the work permit is valid for 6 months only.

Fine, I understand this.

So I call around all of South East Asia and am being told by the Embassies / Consulates that they will not issue a Non B Multiple to me because of the 6 month work permit and I can show no company tax records ... etc

Fine, I understand this as well.

So, Digitalchromakey made a correct statement that you CANNOT mail your passport out of Thailand for a new visa. You must be in possession of it all the time. I have heard of people getting caught at Immigration when their in and out stamps dont add up.

Now it looks like I have to take a 30.000 Bt + flight to somewhere like Hull to get a visa, thats not a financial option sadly.

My question is ( FINALLY ) ............ If i were to go to a neighboring country and mail my passport from there is that considered illegal ?

A few days holiday in KL, a visit to Fedex and hopefully within 5ish days I will get my passport back.

Has this been done and if so, is it deemed illegal ?

Do i personally have to appear or be in the country where I am applying for the Thai visa from. ????

Any other options as to how to get a Non B Multiple 1 year GREATLY appreciated.

This pops up regularly :o

Once outside Thailand there is no legal problem except that you will be without your PP in a foreign country which likely has similar rules on PP posession to Thailand.

Also, Hull will not mail outside the EU so you'll need a drop address there that can forward on your PP.

Digitalchromokey posted the following correct statement in another thread.

" BTW It is illegal to be without your passport in Thailand - better get a second one. You cannot post a passport overseas from Thailand to get a Thai visa.

I have a 1 year Non B multiple that is due to run out soon. I also recently acquired a work permit. I am being told that my local Immigration will NOT give me a 1 year extension because the company is also new and the work permit is valid for 6 months only.

Fine, I understand this.

So I call around all of South East Asia and am being told by the Embassies / Consulates that they will not issue a Non B Multiple to me because of the 6 month work permit and I can show no company tax records ... etc

Fine, I understand this as well.

So, Digitalchromakey made a correct statement that you CANNOT mail your passport out of Thailand for a new visa. You must be in possession of it all the time. I have heard of people getting caught at Immigration when their in and out stamps dont add up.

Now it looks like I have to take a 30.000 Bt + flight to somewhere like Hull to get a visa, thats not a financial option sadly.

My question is ( FINALLY ) ............ If i were to go to a neighboring country and mail my passport from there is that considered illegal ?

A few days holiday in KL, a visit to Fedex and hopefully within 5ish days I will get my passport back.

Has this been done and if so, is it deemed illegal ?

Do i personally have to appear or be in the country where I am applying for the Thai visa from. ????

The relations between countries are governed by International law or bilateral agreements between two countries or a group of countries.

One of the rules is that if you are in a country as a tourist and you are not registered as living in that country, you must be in possession of yout travel documents, or temporarily documents issued by your own Embassy.

If not in possession of your passport or other documents, you cannot prove who you are, or that you are legally in that country.

So sending your passport to England, I presume you are from the UK, while, for example stying in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia & all, and not in your possession of your passport, you are not able to prove your identity, which is deemed NOT legal in nearly all countries of the world.

Besides, all Thai Embassies and Consulates are not allowed to send your passport with visa abroad.

And, if the passport arrives in the mail from another country, they will probably not give you the visa anyway, because obviously, you are not living in the same country as where the Embassy or Consulate is.

Worst case scenarion, the passport gets mislaid, lost or whatever?

You think you will have no problem there?

Edited by hansnl

So sending your passport to England, I presume you are from the UK, while, for example stying in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia & all, and not in your possession of your passport, you are not able to prove your identity, which is deemed NOT legal in nearly all countries of the world.

I understand that and am prepared to take that risk, hey I have travelled alot and never had my passport on my person at all times.

Its a role of the dice that I am prepared to take considering my only option is to fork out 30.000 Bt + to actually go to one of the " friendly " consulates.

The big question is, and thanks to Crossy for his imput .... Is there a problem with the Thais if they see a visa issued from Hull or Perth and NO entry stamp into that country.

My passport will show that I was OUT OF Thailand when the visa was issued.?

Has anyone done this and if so ........... any problems ?

I would have thought that Hull would Baulk at a non-UK return address, but reviewing the application pack I can find no requirement that the return address be a UK address, just that a £6 fee applies for mainland UK addresses if you don't supply a pre-paid envelope. Maybe there is a rule somewhere that the 'permanent address' required in the pack is a UK address, but then it doesn't say that the return address needs to be the same os the permanent address. Just say you are on a world tour, your UK address is given and you happen to be in KL or wherever at the moment and pre-pay Fed-Ex to collect and return.

Simpler to Fed-Ex it to a friend/relative in the UK and have them mail it in and Fed_Ex it back to you. If it goes missing or you get questioned in the meantime.. "Oh dear it appears to have gone missing..." :o

Best thing is to email Hull and ask!

Having said that, wouldn't it be equally dodgy to be passport-less in any surrounding country - surely they have similar visa regulations.

One final thought - it is still possible to get a second British passport if you have a good reason, for example if you don't want Israeli stamps in a passport you may have to use in neighbouring countries and vice versa. Could you get a second passport mail that in for a fresh visa, then visa-run leaving on old passport, returning on the new one. When that one is up mail the old passport in for a new visa. Repeat ad nauseum ? Just speculating... :D

Edited by phaethon

There is/was definately a note on the Hull website that they would not mail outside the UK/EU.

The UK don't stamp your PP so there would not be an entry stamp for Thailand to not see, if you see what I mean :o

Edited by Crossy

Phaethon, I am not British and I doubt the second passport option would work.

There have been posts on Thai Visa about people getting busted at Immigration for having visas issued when they were still officially in Thailand. They sent them out by mail and in some cased they were deported.

Basicially its illegal here, but the question is, do the Thai Authorities have a problem with me leaving Thailand and THEN mailing my passport to another country. My passport will show that I left Thailand and was outside Thailand when my visa was issued.

I know if I call Immigration I will get 258 different answers.

I understand that and am prepared to take that risk, hey I have travelled alot and never had my passport on my person at all times.

Its a role of the dice that I am prepared to take considering my only option is to fork out 30.000 Bt + to actually go to one of the " friendly " consulates.

The big question is, and thanks to Crossy for his imput .... Is there a problem with the Thais if they see a visa issued from Hull or Perth and NO entry stamp into that country.

My passport will show that I was OUT OF Thailand when the visa was issued.?

Has anyone done this and if so ........... any problems ?

This might be more of a long term solution but may prevent this situation from arising in the future. As a UK citizen you are allowed to have 2 passports running concurrently. You must prove to the embassy that you travel frequently and often require multiple visas. If you obtained the second passport you could post that one to the UK and still be legal here. I have done this on numerous occasions without any problems.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

I remembered a post a person talking about getting a multiple in Melbourne. Says great service and etc.

Heres the topic. Says he got a flight for 15,000. Post has link for airline and visa to Austrailie. Might cost a little more than sitting around KL for at least a week but less riskey.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Non-Single-N...ti-t212878.html

There is/was definately a note on the Hull website that they would not mail outside the UK/EU.

The UK don't stamp your PP so there would not be an entry stamp for Thailand to not see, if you see what I mean :o

I was using Hull as an example anyway but even with a little bit of cross checking the Immigration here would find out that the passport came in by post to say Hull and was returned to Malaisia by post ( example ).

Usually when they issue you anything here they want copies of all pages from your passport and its someones sad job to find little problems like this.

Even my Lawyer could not answer this, bit i know you TV'rs are alot wiser when it comes to Visa issues.

Someone must have gone to Malaisia, mailed the passport, got it back and came back here.

Is it that crazy an idea ?

I remembered a post a person talking about getting a multiple in Melbourne. Says great service and etc.

Heres the topic. Says he got a flight for 15,000. Post has link for airline and visa to Austrailie. Might cost a little more than sitting around KL for at least a week but less riskey.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Non-Single-N...ti-t212878.html

I covered that angle this afternoon. The cheapest flight to melbourne is slightly under 28.000 Bt with Jet star.

Its the taxes that are driving the prices up and that price is with just carry on luggage.

I am going to bed now, well having a few beers first and tomorrow I will wake up to lots and lots positive answers on this thread and someone hopefully a few of you will have the solution to my problem and the answer to my question ( is it deemed illegal by the Thais to get a Visa from a foreign Consulate even though you are not in that country ).

go to kota bharu in malaysia, i got mine there with a new company less than a year so no tax return and a work permit valid for 9 months, obviously even if you work for yourself, they'll ask to see your work contract.

few things when you go to the consulate, your shoes will have to stay outside and be dressed politely, put a jeans and at least a t-shirt, a shirt is better btw.

you'll have to sign at the entry of the consulate, you'll see a number beside your name, remember that number as you'll have to write it again inside the consulate on another book.

those informations are from 3 months ago, maybe they changed their policy regarding the application so you had better call them and ask all informations and explain your situation before you actually go there.

I was using Hull as an example anyway but even with a little bit of cross checking the Immigration here would find out that the passport came in by post to say Hull and was returned to Malaisia by post ( example ).

Usually when they issue you anything here they want copies of all pages from your passport and its someones sad job to find little problems like this.

Even my Lawyer could not answer this, bit i know you TV'rs are alot wiser when it comes to Visa issues.

Someone must have gone to Malaisia, mailed the passport, got it back and came back here.

Is it that crazy an idea ?

No, it's not a crazy idea at all.

The answer is pretty obvious really.

If the Thai consulate in Hull will issue a person with a visa while that person is not in England then of course it's legal. Why would a Thai Consulate issue a visa for Thailand that wasn't legal? I've even seen a notice issued by the Thai Consulate in Hull indicating that it is ok. Just have your passport posted back to you by someone in Europe.

If it was me I'd send it from Malaysia. I wouldn't be concerned about being caught without a passport while in Malaysia. It's quite common for passports to be posted to other countries to get visas so I couldn't imagine there would be much of a problem if you were caught without one...and very unlikely too.

Phaethon, I am not British.

Then hull probably wouldn't work. IE: they might have a look and notice that you have do not have an entry to the UK. You probably would need to send it to a consulate in your home country via a drop address there. Same for the return address. Also the estimate of a 5 day stay that was posted is bit short. I would think it could be double that.

I am going to bed now, well having a few beers first and tomorrow I will wake up to lots and lots positive answers on this thread and someone hopefully a few of you will have the solution to my problem and the answer to my question ( is it deemed illegal by the Thais to get a Visa from a foreign Consulate even though you are not in that country ).

Answer to your question is no. They probably wouldn't even notice when you come back in. IE: Somebody that is in a country wishing to get a visa to Thailand and there is no Thai embassy/consulate there.

Ideas: I have posted an option to try Jakarta and Bali for a multi. Any consulate that is not a regular visa run location would be worth a try. Here's a link to a world wide list of Thai emabassys/conulates that has contact numbers, email and websites. It does not list honarary consulates.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2712.php

Hobart. you have a much easier solution available.

Go to Labour, when you apply for your usual WP5 renewal, also fillout form WP7 (Change) and request the vaidity period on your WP is extended to one year.

Make sure they also mark your WP to show the vaidity period above you latest permission stamp (magic stamp = date of one year expiry plus labour dept signature).

Go to KL with the usual company papers plus WP5 receipt (marked awaiting visa in Thai) and your Work Permit.

Apply for a one year non B multiple; you should be ok.

Good Luck.

A friend of mine recently did the exact thing the O/P is talking about.

My friend flew to the Philippines, sent his passport off FedEx to a friend of his in the UK, who then mailed it to Hull. It was returned to his friend's UK address within two days, and then mailed FedEx again back to the Philippines to my waiting friend. He spent 8 days there on holiday and returned to thailand with a Non-Immigrant Type-O, multi entry visa.

Upon his entry into thailand he was NOT questioned about the visa being issued from the UK while he was staying in the Philippines.

It can work, but Hull will only mail to an addy inside the UK.

Apply for a Non-O multi entry with the reason "to visit friends in thailand" and you'll get it.

You can always change the status of a visa once you're here, from O to B later.

Go to Labour, when you apply for your usual WP5 renewal, also fillout form WP7 (Change) and request the vaidity period on your WP is extended to one year.

Make sure they also mark your WP to show the vaidity period above you latest permission stamp (magic stamp = date of one year expiry plus labour dept signature).

Go to KL with the usual company papers plus WP5 receipt (marked awaiting visa in Thai) and your Work Permit.

Problem is that the work permit is a few months old and that I can only renew it after 6 months, at that time they want to see financials and tax returns. The business is not requirted to file taxes first until Jan 1 2009 so I hardly think that they will give me a renewal stamp if I cannot show them anything.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place here. I think I will rule out a visit to the Labor Department.

Someone mentioned that they know people who have mailed passports from malaisia.

As I mentioned before, there are some threads here about people getting caught mailing their passports from Thailand.

My big question that nees the technical answer is : If I leave Thailand and mail from outside Thailand is this a reason to invalidate the visa.

I had a looooong discussion / argument with the NY consulate last year about this and they told me that I had to be in the country from where I am applying for the visa from, otherwise it is invalid ( if I get caught ).

All of us who have ever had dealings with any Govt agency here have submitted hundreds of copies of our passports to them and its not rocket science to track back a visa and to determine where you were when it was issued.

Off to bed again to dream about a world without borders

My big question that nees the technical answer is : If I leave Thailand and mail from outside Thailand is this a reason to invalidate the visa.

Are we wasting our time replying here?

Your question has been answered a number of times already.

The Hull Consulate issues visas by mail to people not in the UK. They even issue visas to non-UK citizens by mail. This is a well known fact.

If the visa has been issued it is valid.

If for some reason they refused the visa on the grounds that the applicant is not in the UK at the time, then there is no problem about legaility is there?

Don't get too technical about Thai visas.

Problem is that the work permit is a few months old and that I can only renew it after 6 months, at that time they want to see financials and tax returns. The business is not requirted to file taxes first until Jan 1 2009 so I hardly think that they will give me a renewal stamp if I cannot show them anything.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place here. I think I will rule out a visit to the Labor Department.

As regards your 'little' question. You can increase the 'Work Period' in your WP to One Year (bottom left of page 5) using WP7 - requires very little paper work. Not locked into the WP renewal process.

When you make a WP5 renewal application before your visa run to KL, you just need to show copies of the regular company papers plus: last year's comapany tax returns (not applicable for a new company) monthly salary tax returns (Por Ngor Dor 1) and your tax return from last year (Por Ngor Dor 91), not audited accounts. Then you can make a visa run to KL and apply for a multiple entry non B with the right papers.

I don't understand why you want to break (or certainly 'stretch') the law when you can quite legally get a one year multiple non B in KL if you just modify your WP.

That is NOT correct.

If the Immigration authorities notice that you were "still in Thailand" according to their records

when your visa was issued, it automatically be voided.

This has happened to many people.

If you are on the Black List it does not matter what visa you hold you will be sent

straight home. I personally know of one person who was sent home.

A visa just says you have a provisional approval to enter the country, not a right.

Doing this sort of thing discredits the system. It is an abuse. The next thing is the Thai Government will tighten things up to stop people abusing the system. For example people who who want visas from Hulll or where ever will have to apply in person.

This will be another example of the irresponsible few spoiling things for the majority who play by the rules. Please do not do it.

That is NOT correct.

If the Immigration authorities notice that you were "still in Thailand" according to their records

If you are on the Black List it does not matter what visa you hold you will be sent

A visa just says you have a provisional approval to enter the country, not a right.

Absolutely correct Astral.

...If the visa has been issued it is valid...

Absolutely correct. It is valid for exactly that which is stated on the visa, ie for the stated number of journesys to Thailand. Nothing more and nothing less. It is definitely not a permission to stay in Thailand. It let's you get on the plane at airport where you start the journey, it let's you get off the plane in Thailand and walk to the immigration desk, and that's where the usefulness of the visa ends.

...Don't get too technical about Thai visas.

Right. Let’s just quote from the immigration website:

Each time you arrive at the port-of-entry, an immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter Thailand.

--

Maestro

Stuandchris, I have to disagree with you. Once a person has received a visa from a Thai consulate it is perfectly legal for him to use that visa to get on a plane to Thailand. If you can give a link to or post a copy of any Thai law or regulation that says otherwise it will of course be greatly appreciated. Please remember that I am talking about a visa to travel to Thailand, not about a visa giving the right to receive permission to stay in Thailand, since a visa never gives such right.

--

Maestro

That is NOT correct.

Could you please link to a few reports of the "many people" who have had their visas voided. What type of visas were these?

However...the OP's case is different:

1. He was planning to be OUTSIDE of Thailand for the application of his visa.

2. He's not blacklisted as far as we know.

Could you please link to a few reports of the "many people" who have had their visas voided. What type of visas were these?

It was 4-5 years ago. Someone was running a scam, taking passports to a consulate

for issuance of visas, without the owners going as well.

When it all came unravelled the visas were cancelled.

I do not remember the visa types.

However...the OP's case is different:

1. He was planning to be OUTSIDE of Thailand for the application of his visa.

2. He's not blacklisted as far as we know.

Quite right. As long as you are outside Thailand when you apply I do not foresee a problem.