Eating Giant Snails ?

cojones

Thai snail-eaters remain in critical condition

BANGKOK, Nov 29 (TNA) - Two Thai labourers in Taiwan who became critically ill after eating giant snails remained in intensive care today, showing few signs of improvement.

Mr. Singhadech Chu-amnart, a senior foreign liaison official from the Ministry of Labour, said that Mr. Sayan Roopdee from Thailand's central province of Nakhon Phanom and Mr. Prayun Ratchabutdee from the country's northeastern province of Nong Khai were still in critical condition.

Both men, who are being treated in a Taiwanese hospital, are said to have over 20 parasites from the giant snails in their brains.

The two men are among four Thai construction workers who checked into hospital last week suffering from severe headaches and vomiting, two weeks after eating the snails which they had found in the wild.

The other two Thai workers have already been discharged. (TNA)--E006

when i see the locals eating these things i cant join in , they look orrible

they seem to get them in the local river ..

Large snails are introduced into rice paddy in some places to provide a second cash crop.

We eat insects in the north too. They range from bland to delicious. I've never eaten a bug that tasted bad. The gritty texture can turn people away but can be reduced by removing wings and feet/legs. They are much better fresh...I've never eaten an insect in Bangkok....even the ones in the night bazaar in Chiangrai are not nearly as good as fresh ones. One of the best ones is called meng jahn. When the men plow the rice field the women and kids follow along and collect fish, frogs, crabs, and insects which are almost exclusively meng jahn. You don't kill any of these, just put them into a basket. Later you take the meng jahn and fry them up and eat right away...very tasty 'cause they're fresh fresh fresh.

I've never eaten a bug that tasted bad. 

Me neither. I don't think people eat them because there's nothing else but because they taste good. Or rather, even people who don't have to eat insects still enjoy their bugs.

I've never eaten giant snails but often have the regular-sized ones.