Gold Bars

inthemarket

Gold bars, Bullion (THB) 13750 13850

thats great. very small spread only 100 baht.

where can you buy these though? i did a search and all the information i found said it is nearly impossible to find anybody willing to sell you the gold bars.

Yes anyone Gold shop will have gold bars

is Anyone Gold Shop the name of a shop or are you saying any shop will have them? i have asked many shops and they never do....

Yes anyone Gold shop will have gold bars starting at 5 ounces which is 10 baht of gold.

Here is the current price you will pay per baht of gold

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

ie. it is the selling rpice you pay them as they are selling it to you not you buying it from them.

I guess I am ignorant as I have never bought gold before other than jewelry. But the website says 13,900 baht for the selling price. Is this for 1 oz? I realize that it is 96.5% gold but with gold on the market for over $800 USD an oz how can this be?

No this is for 1 baht of gold (thai baht gold system)bascially 2 baht of gold is 1 ounce, then there is the fact that it is only 96% gold and the exchange rate etc etc.

If you want to seriously invest in gold find a broker :o

ahhhh now I see...thx BBKK

Yes anyone Gold shop will have gold bars starting at 5 ounces which is 10 baht of gold.

Here is the current price you will pay per baht of gold

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

ie. it is the selling rpice you pay them as they are selling it to you not you buying it from them.

How about 1 ounce gold coins (Krugerands, Gold Eagles, Gold Maple Leafs, etc.) is there anyplace in Bangkok that sells them at prices reasonable close to the market price of gold?

No this is for 1 baht of gold (thai baht gold system)bascially 2 baht of gold is 1 ounce, then there is the fact that it is only 96% gold and the exchange rate etc etc.

it is less as 1 Baht is equivalent to 0.487 troy ounces. for an easy calculation/comparison (96.5 purity considered) add 6.09% to the price of Thai Gold and divide by prevailing exchange rate when comparing with the international price of "999" fine gold.

it is less as 1 Baht is equivalent to 0.487 troy ounces. for an easy calculation/comparison (96.5 purity considered) add 6.09% to the price of Thai Gold and divide by prevailing exchange rate when comparing with the international price of "999" fine gold.

Hence the word 'basically'.

• 11 months later...

I previously bought some five baht gold biscuits (each about 2.36 troy ounces of gold) at HUA SENG HENG goldshop in Chinatown-Yaowarat (Bangkok)..

they are one of the oldest and most reputable shops....they buy back, no questions..at the then current "buy back price" which is Baht100 lower than the "sale price" per baht weight....

I think I will buy some occassionally from monthly wages, just for another form of savings for a rainy day (in addition to equities, mutual funds, bonds, CDs, real prop., prov fund etc.)...and squirrel them away in a bank safe box....

they also have ten and twenty-five baht weight bars....(and also, traditional "boat" shaped bars).... [they also have tons or necklaces, bracelets, etc. but I have no interest in those]

are any long-term expats doing this? or am I alone?? (I know of several Thai co-workers doing this)....

here is a pic of a five baht weight bar (equivalent to 2.36 troy ounces of gold)

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0235-1.jpg

does anyone know the website of the well known gold dealer in china town that sells the bars in big weights and ornaments? i know where the shop is just dont know the name of it.

thanks in advance

huasengheng dot com

• 3 weeks later...

Oldest gold shop in Bangkok is Tong Toh Kang. it is in Soi Mongkon, off Yaowarat road, (2 lanes before The China Hotel, go left) The shop itself is in a very old building opposite Bangkok Bank.

The Phone number is 022242422. They have excellent English speakers and you can buy 1 kg. bars 99.99 purity or whatever they have in stock at the time, otherwise you have to order. There is also a gold museum upstairs which you need to make appointment to view.

If you google the name most people recommend this shop and say you will never get ripped off there. I wired my money, got a fixed price and picked up what I wanted a few days later. No problems. I am also told you can buy in Phuket city but I have yet to discover exactly where.

some good info here thanks

i was looking into gold and silver

looks like silver isn't traded in thailand but burma is a great place to

obtain some

started shopping for gold in pattaya

many shop keepers told me to go to china town in bkk

and according to this thread you can get better purity than 96 or so percent

(is there any place in pattaya that has the pure stuff?)

i also heard there are safe deposit boxes available in china town but i don't know anything

about them or how trustworthy they are

once you purchase, what are the safest/best ways to store it?

100 baht spread sounds great!

• 10 months later...

Oldest gold shop in Bangkok is Tong Toh Kang. it is in Soi Mongkon, off Yaowarat road, (2 lanes before The China Hotel, go left) The shop itself is in a very old building opposite Bangkok Bank.

The Phone number is 022242422. They have excellent English speakers and you can buy 1 kg. bars 99.99 purity or whatever they have in stock at the time, otherwise you have to order. There is also a gold museum upstairs which you need to make appointment to view.

If you google the name most people recommend this shop and say you will never get ripped off there. I wired my money, got a fixed price and picked up what I wanted a few days later. No problems. I am also told you can buy in Phuket city but I have yet to discover exactly where.

ThongThip Gold Centre opposite Pearl Hotel on Montri Road, Phuket City.

Hua Seng Heng is reputable, just ask around, no need to believe me. 5 to 10 Baht bars in stock at every branch, sometimes you'll have to order in advance at the Seacon Square branch, takes them 1 day to get things over from Yaowarat.

:)

Hua Seng Heng is definitely the most popular and reputable.

They have, I think, 4 shops in Yaowarrat - the one I use, at the corner of the Soi which has the old Cathay Department store, is often packed when other Goldshops are empty. They usually have all sizes from 1, 2, 5, 10, 25 and 50 Baht weight in stock - upstairs is a Gold Trading Room which is interesting if you have time.

Most buying is done in Cash and you will be amazed at the amount crossing the Counter - literally several million Baht in one trade is common.

Patrick

The easiest way to buy is to go to Hua Seng Heng gold shop (number 4 from memory, near lotus, call the number on the website for details) on Yaworat rd between 5.30-10pm and go up to the 4th floor of the building. I went there, was the only customer in the shop and did the whole deal in 5 mins.

Have bought previously in a couple of other Hua Seng Heng jewelry shops at Chinatown and one at Secon and found them a real hassle having to fight for the attention of surly staff, shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the rabble.

Strangely, the price is 10 baht per baht cheaper than in the jewelry shops.

Just be careful as you leave as the entrance is in a small dimly lit soi.

Thai gold is less pure than US/Canada, South African coins/bars- selling them outside thailand you may have to accept a lower price than you can get here.

Coins from the above mentioned countries is the best way to go- you can take and sell those any where in the world no problem

The markings on these bars are probably acceptable for later sale inside Thailand,

overseas it may not be so easy!!

Not only bars, but any Thai baat gold chain and jewelery is a tough sell in the Asian gold shops outside of Thailand. The Thai elite buys their gold bars and jewelery in Hong Kong.

• 2 weeks later...

Is their VAT on gold bars? what about jewelry and ornaments?

No there isn't. A month or so back I bought gold 1 bath gold bars at 18050 plus 100bath charge handling costs to the gold shop, there is no haggling over gold.

OP wants to go to " Jobs, Economy, Banking, Business, investments" forum your get the best advice there from guys like ' naam & churchill '.

You don't really need a gold broker if you want to do it yourself in Thailand.