Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

There have been casualties? Is this misinformation from General Anupong, or is the press being heavily censored from the government?

Anupong was quoted as saying that an investigation should be launched to determine how and why high casualties happened when police claimed to have fired tear gas, Sansern said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085347

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cabinet members and lawmakers trapped inside Parliament

Anti-government protesters have locked the gate of Parliament trapping the prime minister, his Cabinet members and lawmakers.

Parliamentary officials are trying to coordinate with authorities in charge of Ananta Samakhom Palace to open a side gate to let lawmakers out. But authorities said they are politically neutral and do not want to get involved in the rifts.

The talks to use the side gate are still inconclusive after an hour.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has an appointment at 2.00 pm.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

You assume that police "shot" many people because they were aiming teargas rounds at them.

How if a Demonstration was carrying an improvised explosive device (e.g. Pipebomb) and it exploded prematurely while he was surrounded by other demonstrators, that would explain why many demonstrators were injured wouldn't it?

Haaa! that a better explanation that some bloody general could give.

The police shot many people and get the gun powders into his eyes, maybe?

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters have locked the gate of Parliament trapping the prime minister, his Cabinet members and lawmakers.

Parliamentary officials are trying to coordinate with authorities in charge of Ananta Samakhom Palace to open a side gate to let lawmakers out. But authorities said they are politically neutral and do not want to get involved in the rifts.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Hi all.

All this mayhem on the streets is 100% down to Somchai and probablyWomper, all in the interest of getting what they want for Kuhn Thaksin, Well on the news this lunchtime PAD were quoted saying that a lot of supporters were traveling to Bangkok, Somchai would be well advised on his next move , amongst the travelers could well be an assasin or 2, many in the South carry a greviance against all the Thaksin family. It would not surprise me.

phupaman.

And we are expect to see a government give crowd led by persons with arrest warrents, a minority of the population, totally dictate the future of government! Give us a break!

Sorry mate, but the government issued the arrest warrAnts, the government is a coalition therefore the PPP represents a minority of the population etc ....

and the answer is YES ... when government is corrupt then people must stand up to it.

You assume that police "shot" many people because they were aiming teargas rounds at them.

How if a Demonstration was carrying an improvised explosive device (e.g. Pipebomb) and it exploded prematurely while he was surrounded by other demonstrators, that would explain why many demonstrators were injured wouldn't it?

Haaa! that a better explanation that some bloody general could give.

The police shot many people and get the gun powders into his eyes, maybe?

You are repeating posts from two other posters...congrats?

Doesn't make it more true.

Uhhhhh.... I did say I was speculating. Please read my posts....

Ri-ight, but unfortuanly

1 - Police has reported no sightings of pipe bombs.

2 - Your claim would have to mean that all of those manufactured exploded prematurely

Sounds reasonable to you?

Unless your point was to speculate and obfuscate...

Anti-government protesters have locked the gate of Parliament trapping the prime minister, his Cabinet members and lawmakers.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Aren't having hostages an even BIGGER bargaining chip than just an empty building? Hey, score another one for PAD!

Seriously, by not opening an escape route for the parliamentary officials, the "authorities"** are automatically siding with PAD.

**Who the heck are the "authorities"? Someone with a Security Guard's badge and holds the key? Imagine the possible irony of a 150-baht-a-day security guard finally bringing down the government! :o

Edited by toptuan

If you were carrying a pipe bomb, tell me... Would you be carrying it like you would an umbrella? Or would you tuck it somewhere hidden like you would with a 45 caliber?

Prematurely? That means they had them strapped to their ankles?

Again you are right in line with sunrise ... you contribute nothing to the discussion and get caught out and hide.

Unless pipe bomb exploded prematurely...?
HUH?

You come up with the strangest ideas .... they created pipebombs and then blew up their own feet?

Put the pipe down and back away slowly!

Prematurely? That means they had them strapped to their ankles?

Again you are right in line with sunrise ... you contribute nothing to the discussion and get caught out and hide.

Please stop the personal attacks and respect tthe differences of opinions and perspectives!

There cannot be an equal share of respect for views when one is trying it's out-most to lie and obfuscate.

And I count you into that group.

It cannot even be counted as a serious or honest debate.

This is not a debate, my friend. It is an internet forum where we post a rainbow of perspectives and light-hearted banter.

No,

some people are attempting to have a serious discussion ... and then we get some sophomoric morons tossing in inanities

take your trolling elsewhere please.

Having just read a whole bunch of Thai and foreign news reports on these incidents I have to say that it seems the desperately created meme of balming people for their own injuries is unique to TV in this case.

Nobody else is speculating on pipe bombs at all. Kind of bizarre we get an obsession with it here

Having just read a whole bunch of Thai and foreign news reports on these incidents I have to say that it seems the desperately created meme of balming people for their own injuries is unique to TV in this case.

Nobody else is speculating on pipe bombs at all. Kind of bizarre we get an obsession with it here

I would say applying balm to injuries is a perfectly-accepted medical practice! :o

Edit: Sorry, just now noticed the poster is Hammered.

Edited by toptuan

I feel sorry for the people that got injured.

However I also believe that the PAD protests have to end sometime (sooner rather then later), as they are clearly doing a lot of damage to Thailand, and they are quite clearly breaking the law.

They have been rallying at Government house for a long time now, forcing the new PM to retreat to Don Muaeng, they have been blocking airports, and now parliament. Meanwhile talks between the new government and the PAD were underway, maybe being disturbed by the recent arrest of two of the main PAD leaders, whose arrest is within the law.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse, but that might be wishfull thinking.

I am currently in Singapore and having a hel_l of a time with keeping my Thai wife in the USA.. she was in the middle of the fighting back in 92 when a lot of students got killed protesting....now she want to return to Bangkok to fight for her country....

The PPP will be disbanded at by the courts at the next scheduled hearing...They know it...hence the rush to get the constitution changed to protect themselves and protect Thaskin......

While you say the arrest was within the law.....it was a Martial Law proclamed by a convicted criminal (Samak) who is now going to jail, and it is likely the entire case will be thrown out at the 1st hearing.

Until we can drag a bunch of these thugs back into the Thai jails and have a system where the rich MUST obey the laws of the country, Thailand will never progress.

At present the courts have at long last started to act.

I for one hope the entire current corrupt government falls apart. I applaude the percerviernce of the PAD. They are not running to take over the country but to change it.

Deputy Commander of the Metropolian Police Police Major General Umnuay Nimmanai affirmed that police only used tear gas and no other explosive devices.

Police Major General Umnuay further indicated that both the Police Commissioner-General and the Interior Minister ordered for the use of force so that police could control the situation.

- ThaiNews / 2007-10-07

I would say applying balm to injuries is a perfectly-accepted medical practice! :o

could be a tad painful to a feshly sevred foot :D

Does any of this strike anyone as a very handy diversion?

A certain gentleman in England has lodged or is about to lodge an application for Political Asylum.

To claim that it would be dangerous for him to return to a country where the people are holding peaceful protests against a corrupt government lacks a certain something.

However, he can now point to the violence and bloodshed in the streets and squeal that he might be torn limb from limb if he has to return to such an awful place. He would have a point, too!

:D:D:o

However, which way ever, he has a hand in all this!

He doesn't have a hand in all this. All this is about him. Nothing more. Nothing less than his wanting his money back and paying countless proxies to ensure that end. And preferably another go or two at the trough.

There have been casualties? Is this misinformation from General Anupong, or is the press being heavily censored from the government?
Anupong was quoted as saying that an investigation should be launched to determine how and why high casualties happened when police claimed to have fired tear gas, Sansern said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085347

"casualties" does not refer to deceased exclusively. It also means injured.

Police fire more tear gas on demonstrators

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presented his government's policy statement at a sparsely-attended Parliament Tuesday as police lobbed fresh rounds of tear gas Tuesday at anti-government demonstrators gathered at Bangkok's Royal Plaza, after tear gas was earlier used to disperse thousands of protesters at the nearby Parliament.

There was no immediate report of casualties, but as clouds of tear gas drafted by the equestrian statue of the

revered monarch King Rama V, scenes of discord and disorder witnessed the loss of the traditional harmony

of the setting.

Meanwhile, House Speaker Chai Chidchob adjourned the parliamentary session after the premier delivered his policy statement to Parliament which 164 opposition Democrat MPs and 40 senators boycotted.

Some PAD protesters reportedly locked the gate at the only entrance to the House, temporarily delaying the legislators' departure.

Pol. Maj-Gen. Amnuay Nimmano, Metropolitan police chief, said the police had to use tear gas to control the situation, but affirmed that the police only used tear gas without rubber bullets or broken glass.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesman Dr. Booranuch Samutrak said the government had lost its legitimacy to deliver the state policy, saying that the morning clash between police and protesters was against the

government's promise which vowed to solve the political turmoil through peaceful means.

At about 6am, police used tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters rallying at Parliament after the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) marched to Parliament on Monday night, extending its rally from Government House, and vowing to stop the government from delivering its policy statement.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat took office September 25.

Unarmed, but heavily-protected with helmets, face masks and shields, hundreds of police moved through the barricades erected by the PAD activists overnight. Some 100 rounds of tear gas were fired into the ranks of the PAD demonstrators shortly after dawn, and the massed police formations moved across the site.

69 people were injured in the fray, including one man who reportedly lost his leg due to an exploding tear gas canister.

Meanwhile, PAD core leaders called on its supporters in provinces to join the protest at Government House while telling their supporters to stay clam inside the Government House compound.

PAD core leader Sondhi Limthongkul told demonstrators at Government House that the rally at Parliament would be their "final battle" and would not back off.

He also called for donations of water and medicines, particularly eye drops, to treat protesters who suffered from tear gas.

-- TNA 2008-10-07

Read Post 192 and 195 and you will understand that I make no claims.

Ri-ight, but unfortuanly

1 - Police has reported no sightings of pipe bombs.

2 - Your claim would have to mean that all of those manufactured exploded prematurely

Sounds reasonable to you?

Unless your point was to speculate and obfuscate...

I feel sorry for the people that got injured.

However I also believe that the PAD protests have to end sometime (sooner rather then later), as they are clearly doing a lot of damage to Thailand, and they are quite clearly breaking the law.

They have been rallying at Government house for a long time now, forcing the new PM to retreat to Don Muaeng, they have been blocking airports, and now parliament. Meanwhile talks between the new government and the PAD were underway, maybe being disturbed by the recent arrest of two of the main PAD leaders, whose arrest is within the law.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse, but that might be wishfull thinking.

I am currently in Singapore and having a hel_l of a time with keeping my Thai wife in the USA.. she was in the middle of the fighting back in 92 when a lot of students got killed protesting....now she want to return to Bangkok to fight for her country....

The PPP will be disbanded at by the courts at the next scheduled hearing...They know it...hence the rush to get the constitution changed to protect themselves and protect Thaskin......

While you say the arrest was within the law.....it was a Martial Law proclamed by a convicted criminal (Samak) who is now going to jail, and it is likely the entire case will be thrown out at the 1st hearing.

Until we can drag a bunch of these thugs back into the Thai jails and have a system where the rich MUST obey the laws of the country, Thailand will never progress.

At present the courts have at long last started to act.

I for one hope the entire current corrupt government falls apart. I applaude the percerviernce of the PAD. They are not running to take over the country but to change it.

Excellent post :o

PAD issues an ultimatum for House dissolution

BANGKOK: -- People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul has demanded for House dissolution by 6.00 pm.

Sondhi threatens to intensify the protests if Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat refuses to relinquish power.

He also calls on protesters to trap Somchai inside Parliament. But it has been confirmed that PM's aides successfully sneaked Somchai out of Parliament although there was no details how he got passed the locked gate.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presented his government's policy statement at a sparsely-attended Parliament Tuesday as police lobbed fresh rounds of tear gas Tuesday at anti-government demonstrators gathered at Bangkok's Royal Plaza, after tear gas was earlier used to disperse thousands of protesters at the nearby Parliament.

There was no immediate report of casualties, but as clouds of tear gas drafted by the equestrian statue of the

revered monarch King Rama V, scenes of discord and disorder witnessed the loss of the traditional harmony

of the setting.

Meanwhile, House Speaker Chai Chidchob adjourned the parliamentary session after the premier delivered his policy statement to Parliament which 164 opposition Democrat MPs and 40 senators boycotted.

Some PAD protesters reportedly locked the gate at the only entrance to the House, temporarily delaying the legislators' departure.

Pol. Maj-Gen. Amnuay Nimmano, Metropolitan police chief, said the police had to use tear gas to control the situation, but affirmed that the police only used tear gas without rubber bullets or broken glass.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesman Dr. Booranuch Samutrak said the government had lost its legitimacy to deliver the state policy, saying that the morning clash between police and protesters was against the

government's promise which vowed to solve the political turmoil through peaceful means.

At about 6am, police used tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters rallying at Parliament after the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) marched to Parliament on Monday night, extending its rally from Government House, and vowing to stop the government from delivering its policy statement.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat took office September 25.

Unarmed, but heavily-protected with helmets, face masks and shields, hundreds of police moved through the barricades erected by the PAD activists overnight. Some 100 rounds of tear gas were fired into the ranks of the PAD demonstrators shortly after dawn, and the massed police formations moved across the site.

69 people were injured in the fray, including one man who reportedly lost his leg due to an exploding tear gas canister.

Meanwhile, PAD core leaders called on its supporters in provinces to join the protest at Government House while telling their supporters to stay clam inside the Government House compound.

PAD core leader Sondhi Limthongkul told demonstrators at Government House that the rally at Parliament would be their "final battle" and would not back off.

He also called for donations of water and medicines, particularly eye drops, to treat protesters who suffered from tear gas.

-- TNA 2008-10-07

And that after:

HM the Queen worried over police's use of tear gas on protesters

HM the Queen is very worried on the police's use of tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters at the Parliament.

"HM the Queen is very worried that the incident happened and that many people were injured during the incident," the director of the Vachira Hospital said.

The Queen donated Bt100,000 to Vachira Hospital where many injured protesters were treated.

The Royal Household Bureau informed the hospital to foot the bills of the injured protesters with the bureau.

quote from the nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/07...es_30085316.php

PM flees out of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat fled outside Parliament at 1:32 pm after finishing his policy statement.

He left the assembly hall through the Building 3 and climbed down the stairs to the ground floor. He then climbed over the fence to the Vimarnmek Mansion.

The Royal Household Bureau allowed only the prime minister to leave through the throne hall side.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Let me share my thought here.

I think the Thai political system is simply a crap, not working in anyways we want it to be. How many times this event has to repeat again and again? Don't we get it? It is not working. I have seen/experienced these events since I was a kid and they are all the same. Thais killing Thais doesn't matter whose side you're on. You are just a pawn in a chess game. I am, by no means, a master of politics, but I think the only way to eliminate this problem is to flush those greedy politicians out of the system. We need a new system that let us be the master of the game, not a pawn.

Golf

Edited by Golf

PAD issues an ultimatum for House dissolution

BANGKOK: -- People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul has demanded for House dissolution by 6.00 pm.

Sondhi threatens to intensify the protests if Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat refuses to relinquish power.

He also calls on protesters to trap Somchai inside Parliament. But it has been confirmed that PM's aides successfully sneaked Somchai out of Parliament although there was no details how he got passed the locked gate.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

meanwhile there are details from the nation

PM flees out of Parliament

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat fled outside Parliament at 1:32 pm after finishing his policy statement.

He left the assembly hall through the Building 3 and climbed down the stairs to the ground floor. He then climbed over the fence to the Vimarnmek Mansion.

The Royal Household Bureau allowed only the prime minister to leave through the throne hall side.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085354

BANGKOK: --

-- TNA 2008-10-07

unarmed? 100's of rounds of teargas?