Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

This from an article just posted on the Bangkok Post website:

When asked about the cause of a male protester, who has lost his leg during the riot, Pol Maj Gen Amnuay said the man could have stepped on barbed wire around the Parliament.

Just what was the barbed wire constructed of that ripped a man's leg clean off??

Unhelpful 'explanations' like that are sure to further inflame the situation by suggesting a cover-up...

Or suggests that the Pol Gen is a completely out of touch idiot.

The few of these characters I have ever met have always been aloof even arrogant and believed everything they said, thought and believed in was right and that others should listen to them and respect them because of their elated position. As for idiots I dont thinkso. But they are dangerous considering the very real power they have.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonder when the U.N Peacekeepers will be arriving,

Seeing how the Thai Government, Military and Police can't control there own country,

Yesterday Black Monday on the Stock Market, Today Black Tuesday Civil Unrest,

How many more Black Thailand days tell total chaos.

PAD regain control in front of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Protesters re-besieged Parliament and drove police out of the gate on the Phichai Road.

Protesters used batons to fight against police and drove them off.

Many of the protesters also inflated the tyres of police vehicles.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

Inflated the tires??

That was very nice of them, you see the PAD are nice people. :o

He needs to borrow this family heirloom...

thaksin003.jpg

PM refuses to answer questions

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat made no comments on policy announcement and PAD's seizure of Parliament's compound.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat arrived at Parliament at approximately 9:50 am this morning (October 7). He refused to answer questions regarding whether government's policy declaration would take place and solutions to the People Alliance's for Democracy (PAD) protesting and seizure of Parliament's compound.

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-07

predictable, maybee grab some radio & TV stations to get some un filtered " content " out.

by by high season. more difficult times ahead, ( world banking imploding, etc ).

this guy would serve the country best at the end of a rope.

Wounds are not caused by tear gas, but powerful explosives : doctors

BANGKOK: -- Vachira Hospital's director Dr Wanchai Charoenchokthavee said the protesters's wounds were not likely to be from tear gas.

Despite police insisted of using tear gas, several photos showed one protester lost his leg and another protester lost his foot.

The leg amputation has already been posted. Here's the other victim of "tear-gassing"....

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

SERC assures no power, water cut off

The Deputy Secretary-General of the State Enterprises Workers Relations Confederation (SERC) Umnat Plamee affirmed there would be no water or power outages, calling on the government to take responsibility for the events that transpired this morning at the Parliament building.

SERC Deputy Secretary-General Umnat Plamee denied this morning (October 7) reports that the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has called on employees under the SERC to abandon work and cut power and water services along with PAD's members joining in rallies.

Mr. Umnat said that the reports were a misunderstanding following the SERC's revealing that it would support PAD.

SERC Deputy Secretary-General assured that general public would not be affected by the situation as power and water would not be unduly cut off.

He stated however that the Parliament has an outstanding electricity bill that may result in a power outage for the building. :o

He also said that SERC would take swift action in response to the use of force against PAD protesters this morning.

Mr. Umnat said that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat must take responsibility for the situation.

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-07

Anybody catch this? The power just happens to be cut to a major government facility just before a very important meeting that many protesters are trying to stop.....but...it's due to an unpaid bill??

Finally someone did the right thing. Is just amazes me to see the patience of the government. Anywhere else these people would have been done away with long ago. Just imagine the same abusive protesters in Singapore, Vientianne, Rangoon, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpor..........

or Washington, Moscow, London etc..........come on, these people are way way out of line and give no respect to the rules of the land.

Dear mister Somchai is showing his true face very fast. He asks for peace with one hand and with the other hand he commits violence. Shows what kind of a person he is.

Waerth

What kind of person he is??? He was unblocking the parliament building.

The PAD should not have been blocking it. Tear gas is the only language they understand.

Am I missing something here?

Bryan - congrats - the only sane comment here - the other OP's really have no idea - these mafia PAD have caused enough division in this country already -- the elected government of this country has the right to govern with the mandate of the people - for good or bad - and to disrupt the daily working of the government and try to topple it with blockades and civil unrest as that which the PAD is trying to stir up is just as the leaders have been charged with - yet to be found guilty I would add - treason and - look up the word "treason' if some of you computer potatoes don't know - "VIOLATION by subject of allegiance to sovereign or to chief authority of State " and in this case the elected government -- if u ask me = guilty by definition -- the police have acted within the law as the PAD has refused to move and so force seems to be the only option left - also interesting to just read that the leaders have been urging the protested to continue but happy to stay in the back ground -- what happened to lead by example haaaaa -- and if some of the protesters are injured - all i can say is 'som nam na'!

Ermmm Aussimike I didn't really mention how I feel about the protests. I am both Anti-PAD and anti-PPP. They are both responsible for the mess. The division of Thailand started with Thailands election of Thaksin in 2001.

Back home in Oz having a family dynasty rule politics, the army and the police would be impossible wouldn't it? Also a Prime-Minister offering peace and then using violence is not really trustworthy is he? Back in Oz or in Europe that person would be forced to resign by his own party. The problem is both sides are thoroughly corrupt. This government is a farce and so is the PAD. They are both a bunch of hotheads only interested in their own interests. Neither party cares about the common Thai.

Also can both of you please refrain from personal attacks. Just respect eachothers opinions. I respect your opinion on the situation, and I ask you to respect mine. Keeps it nicer for everyone.

Waerth

If the core blame must be placed anywhere for this debacle, it HAS to be

at the feet of Thaksin Shinawatra and his quest for control of all of Thailand.

Hubris, arrogance, and amorality in a mono-maniacle quest to regain his ill gotten gains.

76 billion baht and huge loss of face are driving him round the twist. What are his limits?

Where will he draw the line and say enough, too much damage, I give up.

But I watched him in the 2 months prior to his being deposed,

and he was saying pretty paranoid sounding things

and looking pretty much a darned nutter...

This is all from the man who professed to be through with politics.

We must pray for peace for sure.

But also pray he doesn't go for broke.

Certainly the blame should not be put solely on the PAD circus. Though Sondhi would chew the leg off his own brother to get a little media exposure, ego gratification and a lot of loot, Thaksin also could have made the transition from democracy to PAD-inspired mayhem a lot easier.

Thais don't like to lose nor do they like to lose face. Get ready for some pissed off PAD people, POPP, to take more action. Looking at the TV images of old ladies, children, women and young folks being carted off to clinics, hospitals and recovery zones with injuries is only going to enrage these folks and others that were on the sidelines and will now come to their support.

Hmmm. Maybe. Yesterday there were a lot of comments about how Chamlong's arrest would bring "his followers" out. The question in my mind is, "Does he still have a lot of followers?" The Thai people I've been able to talk to about this (not very many) have been opposed to PAD, and glad to see the police break them up. PAD seems to have a couple of thousand people available, but how many of them are being paid the minimum wage to attend the rallies, and how many of those are willing to get into a violent confrontation? Certainly some of them are, since the PAD has at least several hundred "security guards". Wonder how much they are being paid.

The statement that there were kids at the rally suggests to me the PAD thought it would be another cakewalk. Parents brought their children because they assumed the police would continue to not act. Now that they see there is some danger, attending the rally might be a less attractive way to spend a few idle hours.

If it becomes clear that blockading government buildings is hazardous to your health, maybe we'll get a little clearer idea how much hard core support the PAD really has. I'm very curious, because almost all the Northeastern and working people I've talked to are pro-Takhsin.

Edited by Acharn

The leg amputation has already been posted. Here's the other victim of "tear-gassing"....

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

Strange how everything else has better resolution but the alleged injury is quite blurry. Any poster an expert on PhotoShop altering?

A seriously injured anti-government protester is attended to by medical personal after an explosion blew off his lower left leg during clashes with Thai police in front of parliament in Bangkok, Thailand, on Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008.

Associated Press

Can somebody shed a light on how an explosion could have occurred when otherwise unarmed police shoots tear gas on a harmless (presumable also unarmed) group of protesters?

I think you missed the earlier post. According to a senior police spokesman, the guy got his leg tangled up in barbed wire. A perfectly logical explanation...

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

Strange how everything else has better resolution but the alleged injury is quite blurry. Any poster an expert on PhotoShop altering?

Oh please, don't start perm_dissorder of on one of his conspiracy theories again.

Wonder when the U.N Peacekeepers will be arriving,

Seeing how the Thai Government, Military and Police can't control there own country,

Yesterday Black Monday on the Stock Market, Today Black Tuesday Civil Unrest,

How many more Black Thailand days tell total chaos.

Really, this kind of stupid comment just goes to show how truly out of touch some of the farang posting here are with the mindset of their host country! 'UN Peacekeepers arrive in Bangkok' Hmm. Where do you think you are? Bosnia?

Oh and by the way, you're right, it is their own country and you have not a jot of a clue as to how they wish it to be run - nepotism and corruption free. Do try to keep up.

Edited by jackyseymour

Hey mang,

This photo probably came from the mainstream thai press. I think it is socially taboo to publicly show sexual organs, middle fingers, and grotesque injuries.

Jeff

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

Lawyers and human rights advocate comdemn the government

BANGKOK: -- Thai Lawyers Association of Thailand and human rights advocacy group voice their opposition to the government's violence. The asosciation released its statement and said they disagree with the government's measure in a bid to disperse the anti-government protesters.

Somchai Homaor, lawyer and human rights advocate, said he did not agree with the government's violent mean. "The government has crossed the line of decency by ignoring the peaceful mean," he said.

He said the attack to the protesters was not necessary and the tear gas should not have been used.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

I do wonder the effect of a tear gas canister fired directly at someone. Maybe this could explain wounds although it would certainly cast the police training or police control in a very poor light. I wouldnt care to guess on the altrenatives if this explanation doesnt hold water.

There is no Explanation this will certainly cause further questioning!

If the canisters are fired directly at people and on impact they explode... well see what happened with the leg of this very unlucky protester!

Looking at "the barbed wire" lie/excuse...one could easily assume a cheap cover up!

The big question remains "was it an order"?

Edited by Samuian

The "End Game" has begun. A lot of high ranking "men" wanted this to happen and it did. Now bringing the "chaos" and "out of control" protesters to the street of Bangkok is the next step. Once that objective is accomplished, we will see the "Massacre" once more...

Golf

P.S. Let see Garugaruman's YouTube videos again

http://www.youtube.com/user/garugaruman

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

notice no blood stains anywhere either.... :o the guy holding the leg has his hands cleaner than abhisit's..... :D

BANGKOK: -- Vachira Hospital's director Dr Wanchai Charoenchokthavee said the protesters's wounds were not likely to be from tear gas.

The doctors said the wounds were caused by powerful explosives which can destroy tissues and bones.

Despite police insisted of using tear gas, several photos showed one protester lost his leg and another protester lost his foot.

Wanchai said a total of 47 people received treatment at the hospital. Most of them had wounds on the bodies.

Thank you, Dr. Wanchai... you're brave for saying so.

Actually there are serious reasons to believe these poor guys blow themselves up by poorly manufactured home-made pipe bombs. And as far as my source is concerned, the police don't manufacture their own ammunitions. Live by the sword …

Edited by Pierrot

Urgent: Police fire tear gas at protesters in front of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Police fire dozens of tear gases at protesters, who staged a blockade outside Parliament at 6:20 am.

The firing of tear gases managed to open an access to Parliament at the gate on Phichai Road.

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy urged the protesters to remain protesting there.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

It is about time. Who is this PAD? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the PAD is opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Perhaps all of these misguided protesters should get jobs and help the beleaguered Thai economy.

The doctors said the wounds were caused by powerful explosives which can destroy tissues and bones.

Wanchai said a total of 47 people received treatment at the hospital. Most of them had wounds on the bodies.

Actually there are serious reasons to believe these poor guys blow themselves up by poorly manufactured home-made pipe bombs. And as far as my source is concerned, the police don't manufacture their own ammunitions …

Live by the sword …

You really are the most stupid individual I've ever seen on this forum. And that really is saying something.

Actually there are serious reasons to believe these poor guys blow themselves up by poorly manufactured home-made pipe bombs. And as far as my source is concerned, the police don’t manufacture their own ammunitions …

Live by the sword …

HUH?

You come up with the strangest ideas .... they created pipebombs and then blew up their own feet?

Put the pipe down and back away slowly!

Edited by jdinasia

Urgent: Police fire tear gas at protesters in front of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Police fire dozens of tear gases at protesters, who staged a blockade outside Parliament at 6:20 am.

The firing of tear gases managed to open an access to Parliament at the gate on Phichai Road.

Leading members of the People's Alliance for Democracy urged the protesters to remain protesting there.

-- The Nation 2008-10-07

It is about time. Who is this PAD? They lost an election and now trying anarchy to overthrow legitimate government elected by the people. If the PAD is opposed; they should elect their candidates.

Perhaps all of these misguided protesters should get jobs and help the beleaguered Thai economy.

I think that you need to read more mate.

Supposedly constitutional amendments designed to get people off the hook triggered the protests.

Then the issues just multiplied.

Now this.

And while everyone is distracted, the real action takes place:-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/061008_News/06Oct2008_news20.php

This thing will not end anytime soon.

That is an interesting expose of the misuse of tax money. Lets hope that the administrative court does deal with this issue and a ruling a suggested by the writer to make the cabinet financially responsible for the misuse of tax funds woudl be a welcome thing in Thailand.

Sadly one thing lost in all the shennanigans currently going on is the oversight of a questionable to say the least government and this article higlights just one area that needs to be questioned.

Imageaspx5432.jpg

TOC

Newspapers here smudge/pixelate graphic images and it gets reposted here. No-one doctored the image.

Surely an expert of PS would have made a far better job if faking news was the intent. :o