Pattaya Clean Up Started

monty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame the authorities choose to "clean up" in a situation where you have a choice to partake or not, more need to see some order brought to the areas that we do not have a choice in.....

Drive by thefts, robberys by ladyboys, house break in's, getting caught in the crossfire from some gang shootouts etc, etc!!! :o

It is a shame the authorities choose to "clean up" in a situation where you have a choice to partake or not, more need to see some order brought to the areas that we do not have a choice in.....

Drive by thefts, robberys by ladyboys, house break in's, getting caught in the crossfire from some gang shootouts etc, etc!!! :o

Good grief, are you mad? :D What you are suggesting involves the BiB in police work. :D

The BiB are purely there to shake down local people, tourists, businesses and anybody else with the temerity to possess money. Getting involved in cleaning up the place from the kind of activities you suggest brings them into contact with criminals. Many of these crims will inevitably be family members placing the BiB in a dilemma (sp?) regarding who they should uphold.

What I can't understand is why the government is much stricter on laws (that are sometimes IMO silly anyway) in tourist areas and only haphazardly enforces them in most other areas of the country.

It really seems to me that the government wants tourists to come to this country, show them how tough they are on making everybody do it their way, quickly herd them around in single file to specific tourist attractions and areas, give them five minutes to empty their wallets on outrageously overpriced crap, and have them get back on the plane where they came from not to come back until their wallets are full again for another five minute spending splurge. :o

Soundman.

What I can't understand is why the government is much stricter on laws (that are sometimes IMO silly anyway) in tourist areas and only haphazardly enforces them in most other areas of the country.

It really seems to me that the government wants tourists to come to this country, show them how tough they are on making everybody do it their way, quickly herd them around in single file to specific tourist attractions and areas, give them five minutes to empty their wallets on outrageously overpriced crap, and have them get back on the plane where they came from not to come back until their wallets are full again for another five minute spending splurge. :o

Soundman.

The only logical explanation (in an illogical country :D ) is that it done to generate tea money for the BIB. Cheaper than giving them a pay rise.

If this is the case, the expect things to slowly return to normal, but more extortion from the Mafia/police.

they keep trying to clean up pattaya for the families. this will never be a family area and the only families that come here dont know any better. keep pattaya as a party resort and keep the family areas for family.

i have been living here 3 years and never went swimming in this dirty water and reluctantly let my dog go swimming in the ocean only on days he is due for a bath. I am hassled by all the touts in the day and night in pattaya so i can imagine what some poor family must go through.

Quote from my favourite Soi 6 librarian only a month ago.

'Polis no come Soi 6. Tlee munet plaid'.

So if the authorities are enforcing anything on Soi 6 the situation is serious but as all clean ups in the past it won't last.

Probably they want to keep it quiet for the people who are reading in the library.

:o

It COULD happen. Pattaya COULD go upmarket. Pattaya COULD become a family resort.

But it would require co-ordination planning and investment for the long term.

Indeed, the headlines on the national press are of fighting on the streets of the capital with dead and injured, international news web sites carry (top story) the political unrest with pictures, on Pattaya's beach the sea looks a funny color and has power boats hacking up and down the swimming zones. The local television carries daily reports of street robbery, drug related shootings and questionable suicides.

....and the highest priority is closing tourist attracting businesses and creating a 'new' web site. :o

I considered before that political positions should be filled by people that do not seek them.

they keep trying to clean up pattaya for the families. this will never be a family area and the only families that come here don't know any better. keep pattaya as a party resort and keep the family areas for family.

I agree let them have Bangkok, Hu Hin, Chai Am, Krabi, Phuket, Ko Sa Mui, Chang Mai.

They have 7 and we have 1. Win Win :o

Soundman.

What the Thais would really prefer is that you flew into Bangkok airport and left all your money in a big bin at the airport and flew straight back home.

That would really save them a whole lot of problems.

What the Thais would really prefer is that you flew into Bangkok airport and left all your money in a big bin at the airport and flew straight back home.

That would really save them a whole lot of problems.

Here ! Here ! :o

Pff, to put the blame on any nationality is rather shortsighted. Consider that Patters is highlighted in almost any country's news 1 day or the other as the greatest whorehouse in the world. It removes all doubt in falang households why uncle John always spend his holidays here all alone by himself...

Can it be that with all troubles brewing some individuals want to set up a little scenario to make a extra buck a few weeks down the road, it might be one of their last opportunities if leadership should change. If by a miracle there are falangs to blame for this ,,, a gift from heaven.

Now don't cry in despair, Soi 6 will turn to the original format fast. Give it a few weeks. Uncle John can be pissed off that all this happens during his holiday in his favorite soi. The rest of us understand that this is a Come&Go, heard these stories before.

Logic (?) would dictate that a similar situation will soon prevail along Beach road, and possibly even Walking street...

Either these closure orders will be applied rigourously, or increased demands for local cash based unnoficial taxation will follow soon.

Experience would suggest that after a short period of the former, the latter will come into effect.

However, it's undeniable that a lot of money has been sunk into some very large luxury hotels and shopping complexes in the center of Pattaya, and big money talks very loudly in Thailand. The owners of these large concerns have been agitating for a change of image in central Pattaya so as to attract more "Straight Family based tourism".

This deplorable situation may be designed to force many bars who are currently struggling with a very dry season to the brink of bankruptcy. Watch out for some very parsimonious offers being made for failing businesses soon by well connected local entrepreneurs

The upscale shops may want more family tourism, but that was never the draw for Pattaya and will never support the city at the current levels. They could raize the city to the ground and build gleaming steel and glass shopping malls. I can assure you that they will lose more business than they will gain. As in most things, some equilibrium will be reached and some lower level of economy may end up in there.

I hope the Thais will resist foreign influence on this one. But I do understand the TAT's position. I would have no problem if they just called a spade a spade and legalized what most people can clearly see goes on there. That has worked in many other cities of the world. If one doesn't like it, then don't go there!

The funny thing, I reject the conclusion that the Belgian story about sex in Pattaya is a negative connotation. If people don't like it, stay away. Adults can manage quite will on their own and should be able to choose what they want to do. If sex is outside a certain culture or religous realm, well, they don't have to do it. I find it refreshing if people are somewhat free to do what is on many of their mind's.

Edited by gk10002000

well, my cahier has just come back again from a meeting in soi 6 and today is saying all pattaya not just soi 6, must not open till 6pm!

so still no clearer, just phoned bertie whos gone on a recon see if he can make it any more understandable.

so they cant turn all bars off in thailand till 6pm at night, surely, so some will have to open, then will it be bars serving food? or accomadation? or open bars or closed bars or air con bars or non aircon or non smoking bars, bars with "you" in the name?????

see what tommorow brings!

Boy, their tourism is down a bunch, the disturbances in Bangkok are scaring away even more tourists, and they want to mess with this bar thing as "high" season approaches.

Tourists may start voting with their air plane tickets and going somewhere else. The Philippines may get a little more busy this year. Visa on arrival for many visitors and the prices are reasonable.

Good grief, are you mad? :D What you are suggesting involves the BiB in police work. :D

The BiB are purely there to shake down local people, tourists, businesses and anybody else with the temerity to possess money. Getting involved in cleaning up the place from the kind of activities you suggest brings them into contact with criminals. Many of these crims will inevitably be family members placing the BiB in a dilemma (sp?) regarding who they should uphold.

For the most part they seem to do what the fk they please, but when you get caught in the crossfire in fkn foodland carpark then that realy starts to piss me off, and the BIB stopped me today and took my lisensce because my wife was not wearing a seat belt, i feel a Leo coming on!!!

well, my cahier has just come back again from a meeting in soi 6 and today is saying all pattaya not just soi 6, must not open till 6pm!

so still no clearer, just phoned bertie whos gone on a recon see if he can make it any more understandable.

so they cant turn all bars off in thailand till 6pm at night, surely, so some will have to open, then will it be bars serving food? or accomadation? or open bars or closed bars or air con bars or non aircon or non smoking bars, bars with "you" in the name?????

Most of the girls are now ouside the back doors!! Soi 6/1

As far as I understand it is that this is all about enforcing the alcohol ban.NO alcohol served before 6 PM.I remember from about 2 years ago that law was announced,please correct me if I'm wrong.

How long the enforcement gonna hold is another case of course.

Is this the same Pattaya I have just returned from this afternoon?? Yesterday I was out and all the bars were open as quite a few girls and customers were enjoying drinks.

Its a bit like Bangkok. This weekend the Governor elections were on so no drinking from Sat evening to Sunday Midnight. At 4pm and at 8pm sunday I was enjoying a drink in Soi 8 while Nana was closed. Lots of guys sitting in the bars by Nana Plaza nursing their cokes whilst Soi 7 beer bar was packed with people drinking beer!

As far as I understand it is that this is all about enforcing the alcohol ban.NO alcohol served before 6 PM.I remember from about 2 years ago that law was announced,please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont think it was anything ever to do with bars.

OK, so it is a ban on alcohol, so why not turn your bar in to a coffee shop, give Starbucks a run for there money?

Also question what the law says, is it a blanket ban on the sale of Alcohol or is just bars, are hotels exempt?

So we all agree to blame it on the Belgians? :D

It's a ridiculous overreaction. Just up the road in Amsterdam prostitution is a tourist attraction.

At least the girls will a lot fresher at 6pm. :o

Edited by tropo

OK, so it is a ban on alcohol, so why not turn your bar in to a coffee shop, give Starbucks a run for there money?

Also question what the law says, is it a blanket ban on the sale of Alcohol or is just bars, are hotels exempt?

"Also question what the law says" :o:D

Drove by today on the way to big C..it looked like business as usual, this was around 3:00..

Ha ha On My Way to Big C............. :D Great excuse to go to soi 6 i will have to tell my other half that one

"sorry Dah Ling got to nip to Big C"

:o

Most of the girls are now ouside the back doors!! Soi 6/1

be careful of those girls at the back or you might get a little surprise....................