Thai Airways....mobile Phone Stolen!

thaigerd

First rule of air travel: never put anything of significant value to someone else in your checked baggage! Even the airlines will tell you this. I can't tell you how many times my checked bags have been opened and obviously rummaged through.

Unfortunate that you lost something so expensive, but lesson learned.

Gers, last year one of my hotel staff got a job at Phuket airport as a baggage-handler.

He resigned after 1 week in disgust at the amount of stealing that was going on from luggage.

I think that this type of problem is rife in many 'third-world' countries. The authorities just turn a blind eye to it.

Now if there was an undercover TV crew who publicised this..... that would make the authorities wake up!

I've got an old secondhand Nokia 'basic' phone if you need to borrow it :o

Simon

Now if there was an undercover TV crew who publicised this..... that would make the authorities wake up!

I've got an old secondhand Nokia 'basic' phone if you need to borrow it :o

Simon

This sounds like a job for................SUPER TPV!!!!!!!!

You have a handy telephone kiosk?

I think that this type of problem is rife in many 'third-world' countries.

I guess than countries like England, Luxembourg, and Germany must be "third-world", as they all have had problems with pilfering in the past. Don't put valuables in your checked baggage, period.

<br />
<br /><br />I guess than countries like England, Luxembourg, and Germany must be "third-world", as they all have had problems with pilfering in the past. Don't put valuables in your checked baggage, period.<br />

When leaving the U.S. they ask if your luggage is locked, and that you unlock it in case there needs to be a search. Valuables in unlocked luggage? Definitely not....

Sir Burr, the best strategy is to conceal myself inside a suitcase returning from Bangkok, make noises like a mobile phone, and jump out with handcuffs at the ready when the devious thief 'liberates' me :o

Simon

I guess than countries like England, Luxembourg, and Germany must be "third-world", as they all have had problems with pilfering in the past. Don't put valuables in your checked baggage, period.

no they are not third world countries....they just employ 3rd world people

you can only really blame yourself for this one, as there is a sign at check in that tells you not to pack your mobile phone

Yes, I agree with you!

I was just to lazy and took all my belongings into my bag........

cause I wanted to look for a nice gift for my wife(found it) :D

May be a bad karma as well:

When I was waiting the day before in the departure lounge at HKT airport I found an envelope with a 188K Baht cheque in it, found the owner and gave it back...........

Returning to Phuket when waiting at the baggage carousel my bag was the only one which slipped down inside from these black transportation pannels........strange.

Looked today for the new 3G Iphone...........nearly 40k :o

Gerd

a little bit off topic but along the same lines, recently when travelling with Cathay Pacific (usually I am very happy with them) I got my recently purchased duffelbag off the carosel at Suvarnabhumi and the thing was mangled !

I mean both ends of the bag were torn, there was a hole in the bottom, I think it must've fallen out or the transport vehicle and gotten run over.

As I had some time as my connect to Phuket was a couple hours away, I filed a complaint and took it up to the Cathay Pacific office.

They said they were sorry, couldn't imagine what happened, asked me how much I needed to be compensated. When I told them I had bought it off the street in BKK for 500thb the two Cathay office people looked at each other, one went back into the office. That person came back with a paper for me to sign, and 500thb.

I could've just as well skipped it, no biggie, but it was the point of the matter.

you can only really blame yourself for this one, as there is a sign at check in that tells you not to pack your mobile phone

Yes, I agree with you!

I was just to lazy and took all my belongings into my bag........

cause I wanted to look for a nice gift for my wife(found it) :D

May be a bad karma as well:

When I was waiting the day before in the departure lounge at HKT airport I found an envelope with a 188K Baht cheque in it, found the owner and gave it back...........

Returning to Phuket when waiting at the baggage carousel my bag was the only one which slipped down inside from these black transportation pannels........strange.

Looked today for the new 3G Iphone...........nearly 40k :o

Gerd

40K? crazy...I bought mine in USA, completely unlocked and out of jail for $600.

.... I told them I had bought it off the street in BKK for 500thb ...

So you're not really the street-wise, jive-talking Huggy Bear then, 'cos the real one would never have missed such an opportunity! :o

Agreed. Time to fill your boots with lost this and lost that and your time to go buy it at XYZ,000 baht an hour etc.

It has happened in Sydney and Melbourne too. Now the area is filmed and recorded. I don't think it is just a Thai problem.

It's everywhere :o

Peel Regional Police arrested 7 baggage handlers including the supervisor at the "state of the art" secure baggage handling facility at Pearson Int'l, Toronto in Jan. 2007. Apparently it had been going on for some time. These guys stole "digital cameras, camcorders, jewellery, cell phones and even clothing. Owners wouldn't even be aware anything was gone until they reached their destinations hundreds or thousands of miles away - and by then, there wasn't much they could do about it."

Earlier this month, at CDG, Paris "Twelve baggage handlers appeare in a French court accused of one of the biggest stealing operations in airport history. Millions of pounds worth of goods were taken from passengers passing through Paris Charles de Gaulle, which is used by thousands of Britons every year. Detectives swooped on the homes of the dozen handlers at dawn, recovering computers, video-recorders, iPods, iPhones, as well as mountains of clothes and jewellery.One baggage-handler was found with 80 pairs of designer shoes, while another had solely concentrated on designer perfumes."

My fantasy is to put mousetraps with razors in my bags to slice off the fingers of the pilferers. Impossible to do, but I'm allowed to dream.

• 4 weeks later...