ForeignDevil

well...english name is ........... catfish

thai name is pla dook...............

well,... yes

thank you

I know it's a catfish

what I'm inquiring is the specific type

as in what species

such as big ooi, ooi na, latsia. pla dook thaleh (catfish-eel: plotosus canius), etc

maybe it is only called pla dook in Thai

I was under the impression that pla dook was a general term for all catfish and not necessarily specific to this particular species

if anyone knows the english or latin or if there is a more specific thai name (or if it is indeed just plain old pla dook) please let me know

here's a picture of them before the grill

5Catfish.jpg

Thanks

FD

Bplaa is fish, any fish or anything fishy gets a bplaa attached to it. Bplaa duk (ปลาดุก) is catfish and there are many species.

Most likely this is of the family Clarias, by the look of them the Broadheaded Catfish, Clarias macrocephalus, Blaa duk uey (not sure of the transcription for the last bit - seen it translated as 'fat')

Bplaa is fish, any fish or anything fishy gets a bplaa attached to it. Bplaa duk (ปลาดุก) is catfish and there are many species.

Most likely this is of the family Clarias, by the look of them the Broadheaded Catfish, Clarias macrocephalus, Blaa duk uey (not sure of the transcription for the last bit - seen it translated as 'fat')

many thanks

FD

image002.jpg

"ดุกอุย" is this it?

how do you pronounce in Thai?

called "Cá trê vàng" in Vietnamese

Edited by ForeignDevil

"ดุกอุย" is this it?

how do you pronounce in Thai?

called "Cá trê vàng" in Vietnamese

Looks like it. There are several variants listed on:

http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/C/Clarias_macrocephalus/

Click "Common Names in Thai" under the Common Names heading.

awesome!!!

just found this site myself as well

along with

Clarias macrocephalus

thanks so much

FD

I suddenly have a craving for Larb Pla Dook... :o ...one of my favourite Thai dishes.

Until recently my wife used to make it at least once a week but as we are trying to cut down our sticky rice intake (due to expanding waistlines) we haven't had any for a month or two now.

Aroi, aroi!