Cat Adsl.. Info Required

Pdaz

Just signed up to try CAT G.SHDSL... They will run a cable directly to my house .. I already have the correct modem but according to the contract they only bring the cable to the exterior of my place.. the internal wiring is upto me.. No probs just want to know what they have on the end of their cable so I can fit a connector box outside ready.. Is it just a pair of wires ? which I can terminate to a tag strip or a connector of some type.. Any info appreciated.. I was planning to run a new cable in thru my wall direct to the router and have a nice tidy waterproof box outside so's I can get a decent connection without some clueless ''Somchai'' wrapping some dodgy twisted together affair in cheap electrical tape.. ( yes I know all the other connections along the line will probably have been done like that :o )

Anyone else in Nern Plub Waan using CAT ? Any good ? ( anything must be better than TOT :D )

Just signed up to try CAT G.SHDSL... They will run a cable directly to my house .. I already have the correct modem but according to the contract they only bring the cable to the exterior of my place.. the internal wiring is upto me.. No probs just want to know what they have on the end of their cable so I can fit a connector box outside ready.. Is it just a pair of wires ? which I can terminate to a tag strip or a connector of some type.. Any info appreciated.. I was planning to run a new cable in thru my wall direct to the router and have a nice tidy waterproof box outside so's I can get a decent connection without some clueless ''Somchai'' wrapping some dodgy twisted together affair in cheap electrical tape.. ( yes I know all the other connections along the line will probably have been done like that :o )

Anyone else in Nern Plub Waan using CAT ? Any good ? ( anything must be better than TOT :D )

I can't help you with details on the cable connection. When C.A.T. set me up, they used the existing TT&T cable that I had in place for the telephone service that I cancelled due to the lack of availability of TT&T DSL in this area. C.A.T. ran their cable to the telephone pole about 50 meters from my house; connecting it to the telephone line there.

I live near the east end of Nern Plub Warn. Most of the time, the signal is good enough for me to stream video from the USA (American football games). That programming runs at "off hours", with games from about midnight to about 10 AM on Monday morning; and a game from 7:30 AM to 11:00 AM on Tuesday morning. During prime time hours, I do have occasional problems with slo speeds, and downtime now and then. However, those things do occur minimally. Overall, considering what I read from others with TOT or TT&T, I'm satisfied with this service here in Thailand. My average speed is well over 1000 kbps, most of the time.

Thanks for that :o PF

I'm gonna keep my existing phone line with TOT just for calls.. If they connected it to your existing line I guess it's just standard 4 core phone wire.. Which is fine I'll just install a short length at my place beofre the arrive.. Cheers again !

• 3 weeks later...

I hear mostly good things about CAT. TOT have to be the worse people in the world to do business with. My phone was out for two months, every day I would call them every day they would tell me someone will be comming out the next day. Lies Lies Lies.... One time the guy on the phone started laughing then he set the phone down, then I could hear the word falng falang and about five people in the room would break out in laughter after about 30 seconds he hung up the phone. Their internet service was always slow except very early morning say about 3AM . Stay away from them at all cost. My location is Soi Khao Talo in Pattaya.

CAT is kinda pricy about 2600/month but I hear the service is pretty good and I also heard that if you have a problem that they will take care of it right away.

TT & T I have a friend that has their Max Net and he gets a good solid 3Mbps. I have heard some bad stories about them so it may be a hit and miss with them.

I personally use Banglamung CATV Internet service I guess it is actually Hi Net fron CAT. At first there were some problems but they worked on it and now it seems to be working pretty well. 1600 a month

TOT I guess would rather spend their money on new office buildings than buying bandwidth for their subscribers. I was so happy to walk into their new office and cancel my seervice, I had a grin on my face from ear to ear. The girl in the office did ask us why we were cancelling, she did'nt seem to suprised by our answer....

I only have good things to say about cat, have them both at my house and at work. Decent speed, very little down time and good service, compared to tot that I used to have it's a huge difference on all three accounts.

Both times they installed it they got the cable into the building so all I had to do was plug in the router. I guess if you want any wiring done within the house you'll have to do it yourself.

wrassell; Think the package you're talking about is down to just over 2k/month now.

// Johan

Thanks for that :o PF

I'm gonna keep my existing phone line with TOT just for calls.. If they connected it to your existing line I guess it's just standard 4 core phone wire.. Which is fine I'll just install a short length at my place beofre the arrive.. Cheers again !

Can you please keep us informed on what kind of termination they have and if they bring it into the house ets ? Also be interested in the kind of speed your getting when it's set up.

I live on Nernplubwaan opposite the snake farm and currentlu use TOT, while it has been ok for almost 2 years the service has steadily dropped in the last 3 or 4 months and I'm considering changing to CAT.

CAT will leave a standard black box with 2 wires and an earth, just run a standard 2 core telephone cable into the house (beige with a red and green wire inside) heaviest gauge you can find. Terminate inside the house with a standard telephone socket and then just plug a phone cable from that to your modem. 500 baht to the guys who come to connect you will normally get them to do it for you if they have time. No splitter required as its ADSL only with CAT. Service and after sales service is good, I've been with them 2 years almost, they even contacted me a week in advance when they were planning to move a cable and i would loose service for half a day.

Update:

CAT arrived a week early and ran a two core cable (plus strain relief core) to my house. I'd already installed a small termination box and a cable thru my wall to a standard phone socket. Connected their white and blue wires to mine (black and red) and that was it.. Woman from the office called an hour later to say tech was connecting their end and could I see the DSL light on the router. Ten minutes later it was away and working.. So far so good. Higher speed than my TOT connection but it is almost double the cost. Also seems more stable too.. Guess time will tell and depends how much you use the net.. Best part was going to see the miseries at TOT and canceling my connection :o

• 10 months later...

Is anyone currently using this service and can update with a review? I'm in the Hua Hin area and reading bad reports about TOT and TT&T, so thinking about going with CAT. I see they have both standard and premium rates - is anyone on one of the three standard tarrifs and can advise on quality, reliablility, etc...

Thanks.