Ubc / True - Extra Cost For Two Boxes ?

torrenova

Does anyone know what the extra cost is to have UBC in another room in the house ? We are on the gold package at present with something like Bt1400 a month for the TV and Bt150 or so for renting the box.

i am pretty sure it will be extra cost

if i was you i will look at setting it myself.

Sorry no more info, but i know someone who have it, can look at two different channels on two different locations.

Perhaps more replies later from someone in the know.

Does anyone know what the extra cost is to have UBC in another room in the house ? We are on the gold package at present with something like Bt1400 a month for the TV and Bt150 or so for renting the box.

According to their website. It is 155.15 Baht monthly rental and 282.48 Baht a month for the package.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/eng/pricing.aspx

If you don't desperately need to watch two different channels separately, I'd assume your primary TV is connected to the red, white and yellow outputs on the UBC box. There is also a coax out which can be run into another room and connected to the other TV's antenna socket. Carries picture and audio. Quality's ok and a cheap solution. Coax cable is 25 - 50 baht a metre and the plugs for each end cost about 10 baht.

It all depends on what you want. Do you want two independent systems (2 boxes with 2 cards) or do you just want 2 boxes and you will move the card from room to room? If you want a second card, I believe, but don't quote me on this, they will charge you about 50% more on your subscription for th second card. As for boxes, you could rent another box, but I prefer to use my own boxes when possible. I have 3 boxes set up in my house, one rental because of the Thai language menu capabilities and 2 Humax boxes that I brought with me when I moved to Thailand.

There is a 7500 Baht 'installation' charge (which they want even if you have your own receiver and do your own wiring) :o

For that you could buy a cheapo digital receiver and a card sharer, no extra fees, hook up to half a dozen receivers to a single card :D

All channels are on the same polarity, so a simple power-pass splitter will let you run two receivers from one dish (we're running three).

• 2 weeks later...

I just accomplished this in my own home...going thru True instead of trying to do it myself...in part because the added wiring I needed had to travel a somewhat difficult path.

Indeed, True's list price to do this is a ridiculous 7000 baht or so for the install. But, check their web site and list of specials and promotions, because they often seem to be running one that includes a second installation.

I did that recently, and got the second TV with separate box and card done for an install fee of just 1,000 baht plus a refundable 2,000 baht deposit on the box. I also have Gold Package, though they would have done this under any programming package.

The extra monthly cost under the deal I did is only to pay the extra 155 baht monthly rental for the receiver box. There was/is no extra programming charge for having the second outlet.

I did that under something they called their Truevisions SIM promotion, which you qualify for by having/using a True Mobile SIM mobile phone plan for at least 300 baht per month. I already had and was using the True SIM for my mobile, so that was really nothing extra for me.

I should add...I'd been wanting to do this for some months, but had been put off by the ridiculous True 7,000 baht price, and, at the same time, I didn't know who to contact in BKK who could do a third-party solution to me. But in the end, it was good I waited and finally found a decent promotion for what I wanted.

Edited by jfchandler

For that you could buy a cheapo digital receiver and a card sharer, no extra fees, hook up to half a dozen receivers to a single card :o

Crossy, here in BKK, I don't have permission of my Thai building owner to install any kind of external satellite dish on the outside of their building. True UBC is OK, but pretty weak in terms of Western TV offerings.

Do you know, if there any kind of solution I can use that DOES NOT have to have something installed outside? And if so, who can provide/install that kind of solution... Thanks much....

I just accomplished this in my own home...going thru True instead of trying to do it myself...in part because the added wiring I needed had to travel a somewhat difficult path.

Indeed, True's list price to do this is a ridiculous 7000 baht or so for the install. But, check their web site and list of specials and promotions, because they often seem to be running one that includes a second installation.

I did that recently, and got the second TV with separate box and card done for an install fee of just 1,000 baht plus a refundable 2,000 baht deposit on the box. I also have Gold Package, though they would have done this under any programming package.

The extra monthly cost under the deal I did is only to pay the extra 155 baht monthly rental for the receiver box. There was/is no extra programming charge for having the second outlet.

I did that under something they called their Truevisions SIM promotion, which you qualify for by having/using a True Mobile SIM mobile phone plan for at least 300 baht per month. I already had and was using the True SIM for my mobile, so that was really nothing extra for me.

I should add...I'd been wanting to do this for some months, but had been put off by the ridiculous True 7,000 baht price, and, at the same time, I didn't know who to contact in BKK who could do a third-party solution to me. But in the end, it was good I waited and finally found a decent promotion for what I wanted.

Do I understand correctly that you were able to obtain a 2nd Gold Package card at no additional monthly charge just by having a True Mobile SIM phone plan?  If so, I may have to look into this because I have to pay an additional 50% of a regular full subscription for my 2nd card with the Platinum package.

Do I understand correctly that you were able to obtain a 2nd Gold Package card at no additional monthly charge just by having a True Mobile SIM phone plan?  If so, I may have to look into this because I have to pay an additional 50% of a regular full subscription for my 2nd card with the Platinum package.

Yes, in answer to your question.... In BKK, dealing with True directly for their cable TV service (Gold package), under what they call their TrueVisions SIM promotion, I am paying a total of 1,723 per month for Gold Package plus two decoder boxes and cards. No extra programming fee for the second outlet.

However, that is a better deal that the regular pricing and regular promotions shown on the True web site, as might be expected... Here's their regular and regular promotions pricing site, which does show an extra programming charge normally for extra outlets:

http://www.truevisionstv.com/eng/pricing.aspx

As I mentioned above, to qualify for the TrueVisions SIM promotion, you had to be on a True Mobile postpay plan of at least 300 baht per month. (Obviously, you can't do that by using their pre-pay cards.... only via post-pay service, where they often demand to see a work permit to establish that kind of plan). I did this with them about one month ago.

All they did for this, was come out to my home, install a splitter in the main room with the original decoder box, and then run coax cable into my bedroom, where they installed the second (new) decoder box and card. So while both have the Gold package, I can tune each TV separately using the separate boxes and remotes.

Here's the True Mobile web site link for the promotion I mentioned (it's listed on the True Mobile web site, not True UBC web site... I see at the bottom it was slated to expire on Aug. 31, but it's still listed on their promotions web page... It also applies only to those who have either the Gold or Platinum packages for True service.

http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/tm_sim_tvs.htm

There is a 7500 Baht 'installation' charge (which they want even if you have your own receiver and do your own wiring) :o

For that you could buy a cheapo digital receiver and a card sharer, no extra fees, hook up to half a dozen receivers to a single card :D

All channels are on the same polarity, so a simple power-pass splitter will let you run two receivers from one dish (we're running three).

Can you please explain more on what your meaning by "....you could buy a cheapo digital receiver and a card sharer ......".

Thanks.

Would appreciate more info on the card-splitter (links to pics or where to buy)...

I'm looking to route one signal from one dish to multiple rooms (ideally with being able to change channels from within each room). Only need to watch from one room at a time.

Thanks.

i have this same problem and the cable guy from ubc offerred me a solution :

my main receiver is in the living room tv. from the receiver, he attached a coax cable (using the house's discreet outlets) running to my bedroom tv. at the other end of the coax cable, he installed an infra red receiver that is then attached to my bedroom tv. result, i can use the same remote to switch channels in the living room tv or in my bedroom tv. if both tv's are on though, it'll be on the same channel.

i assume it's legit as the guy gave me a receipt for the whole thing - around THB1,000 for the cable and the IR receiver.

Get dreambox clone boxes at under 4k baht per box.. Set one machine up as the 'master' with the legit access card in it and then run a cardserver in the master box.. All the other boxes then slave from that one card and communicate over CAT networking. Can run many boxes all from the one access card.

Or buy any box and use a smartwi wireless card share setup..

i have this same problem and the cable guy from ubc offerred me a solution :

my main receiver is in the living room tv. from the receiver, he attached a coax cable (using the house's discreet outlets) running to my bedroom tv. at the other end of the coax cable, he installed an infra red receiver that is then attached to my bedroom tv. result, i can use the same remote to switch channels in the living room tv or in my bedroom tv. if both tv's are on though, it'll be on the same channel.

i assume it's legit as the guy gave me a receipt for the whole thing - around THB1,000 for the cable and the IR receiver.

Simply cloning the output is simple.. But your stuck all watching the same source channel.