Where Is Gold Going In This Market

Gold is going up.. in the long run. Period. As with any investment if you can keep ahead of the real rate of inflation you are doing WELL. Gold has traditionally always kept up with the rate of inflation... almost exactly actually.

Compare a chart of the money supply to gold price...http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/gold_money_supply_012820093

In roman times an Oz of gold bought a gentleman a good tunic, boots and a belt. Today and Oz of gold will buy you a good suit and good shoes. People dont make money from gold.. they just protect their money.

Central banks have been robbing us for years... robbing the poor people who are most exposed to inflation. And they expect you to pay tax on your "gains" even though they arent actually gains at all.

Trying to trade is is a mugs game. Watching the charts every day is a waste of time. There s a good argument for 20-50% of your money in Gold/Silver. Of course.. if we are heading for a systemic collapse there may be a huge bubble in the gold price while everyone moves to gold (probably pre-cedded by a drop as everyone moves to the dollar before they figure out that is also <deleted>**ed). Chance to make some huge gains 50-100%+ temporarily if you are brave and get in and out at the right times.

The strange thing with gold, looking at the shot term, ive noticed is that fear of inflation drives the price up.. but actual inflation (stats provided by Gov) drives it down. I cant get my head around that one.

If you are a risk taker get a doubler ETF otherwise just hold the metal.. think of it as your retirement fund. I honestly cant see how people can make money trading it? Probably better to play poker

Thailand is an excellent place to buy gold. The spread is low.. even with jewelry. 30 baht gold chains can be easily taken through customs without having to pay import taxes. Gold bars are usually subject to duties. Coins are best (but not generally available in Thailand), Silver is a no-go as it carries GST in Thailand.

Read Daily Reckoning, Money Week / Morning, Zero Hedge

Edited by BuffaloRescue

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In roman times an Oz of gold bought a gentleman a good tunic, boots and a belt. Today and Oz of gold will buy you a good suit and good shoes. People dont make money from gold.. they just protect their money.

post-35218-0-93344100-1333944637.jpg

I do appologise old bean.. if someone already said that.. i didnt read all 6000 replies!

In roman times an Oz of gold bought a gentleman a good tunic, boots and a belt. Today and Oz of gold will buy you a good suit and good shoes.

am i right to assume that the tailors and the shoemakers charged in 1970 only 35 dollars for a suit and shoes, in jan 1980 they hiked their price to around 800 dollars, ten years later in 1990 they reduced the price to 350, another ten years they charged only 250 and last year they demanded 1,900 dollars?

AW JEEZ! av-11672.gif

FXstreet.com (Barcelona) - After testing support around 1635 as the trading week started, Gold went off to the upside above the opening price at 1642, printing its daily high at 1638.70 in early NY session.

Resistance plunged the commodity back to the opening price area, but Gold quickly recovered and has returned to daily highs.

“Gold short-term trend remains weak beneath its 200-day average”, writes MIG Bank analyst Howard Friend, adding that it’s “still worth remembering the dramatic $103 one-day drop which will continue to offer psychological pressure for investors and traders”.

MIG Bank analysts point to 1600, 1567 and 1522 as supports for the pair. Below there, gold could even drop to 1460 and 1300. “Only a sustained confirmation above $1810 will put the bearish scenario on hold and offer further extended recovery higher on gold”, says Friend.

http://www.fxstreet.com/news/forex-news/article.aspx?storyid=a819c8cd-3d5e-42b7-b02e-0ff2b04cb583

Gold is going up.. in the long run. Period. As with any investment if you can keep ahead of the real rate of inflation you are doing WELL. Gold has traditionally always kept up with the rate of inflation... almost exactly actually.

Compare a chart of the money supply to gold price...http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/gold_money_supply_012820093

Central banks have been robbing us for years... robbing the poor people who are most exposed to inflation. And they expect you to pay tax on your "gains" even though they arent actually gains at all.

Trying to trade is is a mugs game. Watching the charts every day is a waste of time. There s a good argument for 20-50% of your money in Gold/Silver. Of course.. if we are heading for a systemic collapse there may be a huge bubble in the gold price while everyone moves to gold (probably pre-cedded by a drop as everyone moves to the dollar before they figure out that is also <deleted>**ed). Chance to make some huge gains 50-100%+ temporarily if you are brave and get in and out at the right times.

The strange thing with gold, looking at the shot term, ive noticed is that fear of inflation drives the price up.. but actual inflation (stats provided by Gov) drives it down. I cant get my head around that one.

If you are a risk taker get a doubler ETF otherwise just hold the metal.. think of it as your retirement fund. I honestly cant see how people can make money trading it? Probably better to play poker

Thailand is an excellent place to buy gold. The spread is low.. even with jewelry. 30 baht gold chains can be easily taken through customs without having to pay import taxes. Gold bars are usually subject to duties. Coins are best (but not generally available in Thailand), Silver is a no-go as it carries GST in Thailand.

silver is meant to attract GST but you can easily buy 99.99% silver beads used for jewellery and are not charged tax. Weather this is because its exempt or just another example of how no one seems to obey law or rules here I dont know. I have bought and sold silver 99.99% pellets over years and spread at moment is 1000 baht a kg which is around 3% instead of 0.5% or less for gold. GST is never charged for this type of silver

In roman times an Oz of gold bought a gentleman a good tunic, boots and a belt. Today and Oz of gold will buy you a good suit and good shoes.

am i right to assume that the tailors and the shoemakers charged in 1970 only 35 dollars for a suit and shoes, in jan 1980 they hiked their price to around 800 dollars, ten years later in 1990 they reduced the price to 350, another ten years they charged only 250 and last year they demanded 1,900 dollars?

AW JEEZ! av-11672.gif

AW JEEZ! av-11672.gif

dont be silly its beneath your normal good comments no asset over time exactly matches inflation but real assets over long long term normally do All things being equal which they are not gold and silver is probably overpriced but that does not stop me having 30% or so of our total assets in stuff just in case since if doomsayers are right and they could easily be its about only easily convertible asset around. Property is great IMO and over time will bet gold since it can give an income so are shares but in a real emergency only PM again IMO p gives a means to get quickly and easily fiat money or whatever to buy what is needed. I am of course talking real physical stuff although we do hold 1/2 our PM in places like bullinavault and gold silver and even HSBC London unallocated gold and SLV GLD. Obviously HSBC london loco unallocated cant be fully backed or at all backed by real stuff but then if they go bust its a whole new game and SLV GLD is same but it provides a very liquid way to get fiat stuff to buy real assets like property or shares or whatever or to get fiat rubbish needed to buy bread etc.

now India is back from strike ..

'Trading closed with a premium of about 10 dollars for gold and about 12 cents for Silver compared to US close on Thursday.

because India has introduced recently a 1% special tax on precious metals trading?

You seem to have an answer to every question Mr Naam.

The questions that matter get deleted.

Never mind.

most facts (like the one above) which i post are either ignored, negated or labelled negatively if they do not comply with resident prevailing wishful thinking. an undeniable fact is that India has introduced recently an additional tax which will not be scrapped because some "dreamer" posts the irrelevant and unwarranted comment "you seem to have an answer for every..."

The never-ending price hike of gold rates seems to have an adverse effect on gold traders following the additional taxes levied by the Union in this year’s Budget.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, S Venkatesh Babu, member of All India Gems and Jewellery Trade Federation (AIGJTF), said, “There has been a constant increase in our business. One per cent custom duty has been increased to 4 per cent, in addition to the 3 per cent central excise duty and 2 per cent of VAT. Likewise, when it comes to cash sales, 1 per cent for cash transactions of `2 lakh is being paid.”

“With this kind of decision, various illegal activities like smuggling and black markets will flourish, and affect middle class people who are already at the receiving end. They will suffer from price rise,” he warned.

http://ibnlive.in.co...879-60-119.html

Probably best ignored Naam.

I'll settle for varnished wood.

Careful on the bar stool.

dont be silly its beneath your normal good comments no asset over time exactly matches inflation but real assets over long long term normally do All things being equal which they are not gold and silver is probably overpriced but that does not stop me having 30% or so of our total assets in stuff just in case since if doomsayers are right and they could easily be its about only easily convertible asset around. Property is great IMO and over time will bet gold since it can give an income so are shares but in a real emergency only PM again IMO p gives a means to get quickly and easily fiat money or whatever to buy what is needed. I am of course talking real physical stuff although we do hold 1/2 our PM in places like bullinavault and gold silver and even HSBC London unallocated gold and SLV GLD. Obviously HSBC london loco unallocated cant be fully backed or at all backed by real stuff but then if they go bust its a whole new game and SLV GLD is same but it provides a very liquid way to get fiat stuff to buy real assets like property or shares or whatever or to get fiat rubbish needed to buy bread etc.

-a typical "rebuttal" and unsuccessful attempt to steamroll hard facts (35, 800, 250, 1900 dollars) with an irrelevant noncommittal platitude,

-followed by a number of statements which have no bearing at all on the last discussion "roman tunic then, suit now."

post-35218-0-61619100-1334007368_thumb.j

I agree with Namm gold isnt money, its a heavy metal with a universally accepted market value. I feel that investing in gold is akin to investing in any commodity profit is made when market demand is high and losses are made when it is low. I keep a certain amount of gold as a golden parachute, that is if hit-the-fan.gif I can break a few links of my heavy chains to barter a way out. This is the true value of gold. as a safe haven. However, when you consider value per weight nothing beats plastic, for example I have a small plastic card here worth over $100,000 US

so... where is Gold going?

Gold is going into vaults and jewelery boxes, The price of gold will stagnate til he US economy takes a dump then it will rise or it will continue to decrease as the US economy appears to improve. In my lamen opinion I believe the price of gold is in a bubble and is slowly deflating.

Gold is going into vaults and jewelery boxes, The price of gold will stagnate til he US economy takes a dump then it will rise or it will continue to decrease as the US economy appears to improve. In my lamen opinion I believe the price of gold is in a bubble and is slowly deflating.

i'm not sure whether it's a bubble but a lot of people realised that gold is not marching along a one-way street. minus 15% in 7 months is scary for some "investors" who timed their entry wrong.

i'm not sure whether it's a bubble but a lot of people realised that gold is not marching along a one-way street. minus 15% in 7 months is scary for some "investors" who timed their entry wrong.

I see people are realising gold is a poor investment as it pays no dividends or interest. The only way to make money on it is through capital gains, minus transaction costs and storage fees, which is totally dependant on markets forces. I bought my gold at 18000 per baht which i think would be closer to its true value. But this is just my uneducated simplistic opinion.

Edited by waza

-a typical "rebuttal" and unsuccessful attempt to steamroll hard facts (35, 800, 250, 1900 dollars) with an irrelevant noncommittal platitude,

-followed by a number of statements which have no bearing at all on the last discussion "roman tunic then, suit now."

I accept what your saying. The big question is what other investment hasn't had bubbles like that? Where else to put your money.... so your wife cant find it? What are you comparing it against? Comparing to house prices in the UK its back to 1990 adjusted levels now which i suppose is scary in a way but then maybe that makes it a good buying opportunity. The only trend i can see is for gold is comparing it to the money supply.

30-50% id agree with. But what else to buy?

Edited by BuffaloRescue

long-term outlook positive

Gold

• Uptrend since 2008 to be broken in 2Q12

• Insufficient investment demand is likely to trigger a break of the

uptrend in gold that has been ongoing since 2008.

• A deteriorating technical picture poses risks for a large part of the

460 tons in non-commercial net long futures positions by non-commercial

accounts.

• Given the high likelihood of a price dip to USD 1,520/oz, we strongly

recommend that investors protect their gold long positions during

2Q12.

Higher prices require stronger financial demand

Investment demand needs to grow to keep the gold price appreciating. We

now estimate that financial demand has to advance by around 335 tons

(+20%) this year versus 2011. This year, higher mine output (+50 tons),

less gold buying by central banks (–140 tons) and less jewelry demand (–

138 tons) are the key drivers that call for additional investment demand.

Such a demand increase is unlikely to materialize in a world that is seeing

better economic activity than initially expected. With the US Fed less likely

to engage in more quantitative easing, investors need the right incentive

to buy gold. We think this will come with a soft patch in prices during

2Q 2012. Thus, we recommend that gold investors protect their positions

against short-term price volatility. Investors should not build up new

positions at current levels, nor should they engage in yield-enhancement

strategies as the risk of conversion from USD to gold is very high. Lower

gold prices, which improve the expected return outlook for the metal,

should provide the necessary condition to secure sufficient financial

demand, including demand from central banks.

What about the long-term outlook?

Although we lowered our 12-month gold forecast in recent weeks from

USD 2,200/oz to USD 1,820/oz, the message remains unchanged. In the

long run, we expect prices to appreciate due to the risk of debt monetization

and firm wealth creation in emerging economies.

Tungsten Filled 1 kilo Gold Bar Discovered in UK

http://silverdoctors...o-gold-bar.html

lets get ready to rumble......cowboy.gif

That is one a strong magnet may have revealed to buyer

I *think* ? tungsten usually has cobalt & nickel in it? Not 100% though

Tungsten is neither magnetic nor would a fraudster use Tungsten adulterated with any other stuff.

reason: specific weight would go down and the difference to Gold too obvious.

Tungsten is neither magnetic nor would a fraudster use Tungsten adulterated with any other stuff.

reason: specific weight would go down and the difference to Gold too obvious.

:jap:

I figured you would know ;)

long-term outlook positive

Gold

• Uptrend since 2008 to be broken in 2Q12

• Insufficient investment demand is likely to trigger a break of the

uptrend in gold that has been ongoing since 2008.

• A deteriorating technical picture poses risks for a large part of the

460 tons in non-commercial net long futures positions by non-commercial

accounts.

• Given the high likelihood of a price dip to USD 1,520/oz, we strongly

recommend that investors protect their gold long positions during

2Q12.

Higher prices require stronger financial demand

Investment demand needs to grow to keep the gold price appreciating. We

now estimate that financial demand has to advance by around 335 tons

(+20%) this year versus 2011. This year, higher mine output (+50 tons),

less gold buying by central banks (–140 tons) and less jewelry demand (–

138 tons) are the key drivers that call for additional investment demand.

Such a demand increase is unlikely to materialize in a world that is seeing

better economic activity than initially expected. With the US Fed less likely

to engage in more quantitative easing, investors need the right incentive

to buy gold. We think this will come with a soft patch in prices during

2Q 2012. Thus, we recommend that gold investors protect their positions

against short-term price volatility. Investors should not build up new

positions at current levels, nor should they engage in yield-enhancement

strategies as the risk of conversion from USD to gold is very high. Lower

gold prices, which improve the expected return outlook for the metal,

should provide the necessary condition to secure sufficient financial

demand, including demand from central banks.

What about the long-term outlook?

Although we lowered our 12-month gold forecast in recent weeks from

USD 2,200/oz to USD 1,820/oz, the message remains unchanged. In the

long run, we expect prices to appreciate due to the risk of debt monetization

and firm wealth creation in emerging economies.

do you agree with this?

since reading this the price has risen from 1643 to 1657.80

do you agree with this?

i neither agree nor disagree as i have no freaking idea in which direction the price of gold is heading. and neither have the "anals" of my bank -whom i quoted- an idea. using the unprecise term "in the long run" is proof enough for me.

Nondestructive testing of metals is possible, but when tests point to an issue, suspect item is cut open, melted down, etc. in a somewhat destructive test Here is one for gold bars http://www.runtogold...ten-gold-found/ Gamma ray inspection to identify composition of a "gold" bar might also be used.

Edited by ronz28

Technically, it’s not permissible now for Vietnamese banks to pay interest on gold deposits anymore, but it still happens in practice.

So much for Warren Buffet’s assertion that gold is just a silly cube that doesn’t pay any yield.

perhaps ol' Warren does not trust Vietnamese banks? ermm.gif