Is The Thai Press Biased ?

Pierrot

Do you think the Thai press is  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted neutral, because if you read a lot of them, it ends up neutral. Some press is biased toward PPP and some toward PAD. Some writers are pro/anti any particular group within the same media.

As a whole, the press is biased almost everywhere. They want to sell, and people aren't always interested in reading/seeing things that don't fit their ideas.

It would be interesting to compare the Cambodian Press and Thai press on the issues related to the border.

Thai press is mostly privately owned with owners being very removed from editorial policies.

The choices in this poll are plain wrong and irrelevant. The press takes a stance that is based on honesty, dedication to public service, and doing and saying what they believe is right. It's not pro anti or neutral anything.

Of course it's not an ideal world, and journalists come with certain cultural luggage, but all in all they are doing great. Some outlets tend to gravitate towards certain points of view, but nothing unusual.

Broadcast media, on the other hand is always kept on a tight leash with little editorial freedom.

And don't forget ASTV or Thailand Outlook, or Manager - those are exceptions.

Kinda matters if you are just a foreigner looking at what you understand as the Thai Press ... or if you speak the language. Some people seem blithely unaware that the Gov't controls many of the media outlets.

So are we talking about ASTV and Manager? ... I'd say there is a little :o pro-PAD bias there

Are we talking about TNA MCOT etc ... they show a bias to the gov't but this week they don't seem to be pushing the gov't agenda too far without at least trying to report facts :D

What a pity. When you posted (in another thread) that you had started a poll, I was hoping it was another: "Do you support the PAD, Yes or No" poll, like this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pad-Comments-t209464.html

It would be nice to get an update - to know what effect all these pro-PAD posters have had (on the membership of this forum) by flooding it with all their... er... posts. :o

I guess they can't get over the fact that the result is nearly 3 to 1 against them.

Us uneducated rural types clearly don't deserve a vote. Where have I heard that before?

What a pity. When you posted (in another thread) that you had started a poll, I was hoping it was another: "Do you support the PAD, Yes or No" poll, like this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pad-Comments-t209464.html

It would be nice to get an update - to know what effect all these pro-PAD posters have had (on the membership of this forum) by flooding it with all their... er... posts. :o

I guess they can't get over the fact that the result is nearly 3 to 1 against them.

Us uneducated rural types clearly don't deserve a vote. Where have I heard that before?

Congrats on a post that shows just why ........

not a single mention of the Thai press in it ... just your bias against PAD :D Don't tell me you know nothing of the Thai Press or after this much time in Thailand you neither read or speak Thai!

not a single mention of the Thai press in it ... just your bias against PAD :D Don't tell me you know nothing of the Thai Press or after this much time in Thailand you neither read or speak Thai!

Yet another irrelevant answer to a posters OPINION , not your thoughts , his .

Yet another irrelevant answer to a posters OPINION , not your thoughts , his .

TOPIC ......

Are you familiar with the Thai press in Cambodia? If so would you care to enlighten us on your opinion of the TOPIC?

Maybe you should update your own signature:

There should be 2 rules about posting on political topics!

1) Have a brain that is not put in idle .....

and

2) Have a sense of humor!

Some people have neither!

:o

The Thai Press is biased towards the political and business interests of it's editors and shareholders, same as the media outlets in most countries. Up until Thaksin started pulling strings (and advertising revenues) from newspapers critical of him and his government, the Thai press was relatively open and free.

Duncan McCargo's book Politics & the Press In Thailand is an interesting book on the media here.

Maybe you should update your own signature:

There should be 2 rules about posting on political topics!

1) Have a brain that is not put in idle .....

and

2) Have a sense of humor!

Some people have neither!

:D

again ----- Off Topic. :o

Can you contribute to the topic please? The Media in Thailand (specifically Thai language media) I am assuming from the title of the thread etc that people are missing the meaning here ....

Oh dear, this poll is invalid because it is not clear about the real issues and the voters don't understand what they are voting for. Now where have I heard that before? :o

1) see the other thread

2) hardly a scientific poll

3) definitions must be agreed upon to be valid

4) keep trying :D

Are we discussing only print?

Broadcast?

Sattelite?

Foreign Language?

Thai Language only?

but you are right this is just as valid as any of the current elections have been (ie: it isn't) :D