Vigo Headlight Upgrade

jaiyenyen

Hi,

I own a 2007 Vigo PreRunner, and the headlights don't seem to be all that good.

Can I just replace the standard bulbs with xenon bulbs, or do I also have to replace the reflectors.

They don't 'seem' to be all that good? Is this a gradual deterioration? Seriously, maybe your night vision is deteriorating?

I heard that after-market xenon's can cause power problems due to power surge when starting up and believe a beefier alternator may be a requirement. Reflectors are reflectors. Has dust got inside the sealed beam unit somehow? Park the vehicle alongside an identical one at night and see if the illumination is any different between the two vehicles?

Can I just replace the standard bulbs with xenon bulbs, or do I also have to replace the reflectors.

There are a lot of differences between the standard tungsten head lights and HID (Xenon/Halide) lamps. The tungsten operate directly from a low voltage source such as the car battery and alternator. On the other hand, HIDs require support electronics due to their requiring high voltage (arc) startup and stabilization. In other words, they need a ballast and an ignitor (sometimes the latter is combined in the bulb). From Wiki:

HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ignitor is integrated into the bulb in D1 and D3 systems, and is either a separate unit or integral with the electronic ballast in D2 and D4 systems. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. The ignition and ballast operation proceeds in three stages:

1. Ignition: a high voltage pulse is used to produce a spark — in a manner similar to a spark plug – which ionizes the Xenon gas, creating a conducting tunnel between the tungsten electrodes. In this tunnel, the electrical resistance is reduced and current flows between the electrodes.

2. Initial phase: the bulb is driven with controlled overload. Because the arc is operated at high power, the temperature in the capsule rises quickly. The metallic salts vapourise, and the arc is intensified and made spectrally more complete. The resistance between the electrodes also falls; the electronic ballast control gear registers this and automatically switches to continuous operation.

3. Continuous operation: all metal salts are in the vapour phase, the arc has attained its stable shape, and the luminous efficacy has attained its nominal value. The ballast now supplies stable electrical power so the arc will not flicker.

I believe the costs to retrofit standard lamps is quite expensive, around 20-30k Baht. Just guessing at that though from past costs.

Hi,

I own a 2007 Vigo PreRunner, and the headlights don't seem to be all that good.

Your eyesight is fine, the vigo headlights on dip are awful, fit a set off 55w xenon 6000k, they are a vast improvement and dont listen to all the talk of problems, they work fine and are far superior to the original h series glow worms ! :o

^ In that case, go buy one high quality replacement bulb and replace one of the 'bit yellow' bulbs and see if there's any difference. Swap over just to make sure as the lenses scatter light differently. If the new bulb looks significantly brighter in both locations, you have your answer. If there's no difference, you have a spare bulb!

There is no advantage in putting "Xenon" bulbs in unless it is a real HID kit. The bulbs that look the same as normal halogen bulbs but claim to be xenon just provide a different colour of light, they do not increase the amount of light. In fact the higher the "XXXXK" they are, the less usable light they give out.

An HID kit will come with completely different bulbs and two small boxes which ignite and provide power for the bulbs. These kits cost about 4000 baht, however, unless you have projector headlights, fitting them into your vigo will likely blind every other lowish car on the road.

The first step you should try is getting a pair of good quality halogen bulbs, try Philips X-Treme Power or Philips Vision Plus. Make sure you don't get any with a blue tint.

There is no advantage in putting "Xenon" bulbs in unless it is a real HID kit. The bulbs that look the same as normal halogen bulbs but claim to be xenon just provide a different colour of light, they do not increase the amount of light. In fact the higher the "XXXXK" they are, the less usable light they give out.

An HID kit will come with completely different bulbs and two small boxes which ignite and provide power for the bulbs. These kits cost about 4000 baht, however, unless you have projector headlights, fitting them into your vigo will likely blind every other lowish car on the road.

The first step you should try is getting a pair of good quality halogen bulbs, try Philips X-Treme Power or Philips Vision Plus. Make sure you don't get any with a blue tint.

Good advice,if you fit xenon bulbs ( although i doubt they are xenon ) you will have a set of bluiish dull lights instead of yellow :o

Yes 55w are hard to find here, I ordered mine off the internet from the US, ended up at about the same price in the end.

Remember you will be blinding people though. My car is low to the ground and when something drives towards me with aftermarket Xenons fitted into reflector headlights, I can't see a thing. I have had several close calls due to this!

Well, I had some 8000k ones put on my Isuzu Gold Series truck. Just got back from a trip upcountry where you really need them. They worked great and much better than the ones that came with the truck. Installed, I think they were 9500 baht and come with a 1 year warranty.

You will get oncoming traffic flashing you as they will think you have your highbeams on. I do feel for them, but I have bad nightvision and when I have to drive at night they really work for me.

<deleted> with these lights often set at the wrong angle / height are so inconsiderate. Coppers should nick them but TIT !!!
Exactly, the lights are fine, its the installers that are no good,. have the beam set up properly and no one will be blinded, if you look at the 07 on dmax it has xenon as standard and they are superb,.

Xenons fitted into reflectors designed for halogens will never work 100% right. This is because halogens give out a very specific beam and the reflectors are designed around this. When you put xenons in a lot of the light "spills" out, as if it was a high beam. You might be able to adjust the angle to minimize the blinding but then your main beam of light (on dipped still) might be too close to the car.

If you get HIDs, don't get any over 4500K, any more than that is just too give a blue look, which actually leaves you with less usable light and greater eye strain while driving (blue light not good for the eyes).

Well, I had some 8000k ones put on my Isuzu Gold Series truck. Just got back from a trip upcountry where you really need them. They worked great and much better than the ones that came with the truck. Installed, I think they were 9500 baht and come with a 1 year warranty.

You will get oncoming traffic flashing you as they will think you have your highbeams on. I do feel for them, but I have bad nightvision and when I have to drive at night they really work for me.

So that makes it ok then does it ? Because you are blind at night and should be kept off the road the rest of us have to suffer ?

If you truly feel for us you will leave your vehicle parked after dusk.

Now I wonder where I can get a catapult which throws large rocks at cars with these lights or a laser which blows up their engines. Only partially joking as people like you think you have some buddah / god / whatever given right to drive when you should be kept off the road for the safety of others.

Totally inconsiderate and even more so given you know the problem that your adjustments cause oncoming traffic.

I would suggest two options.

1) Replace the lightbulbs with a better quality one becasue that's as a good as it gets. Don't buy those xenon replacement bulbs or those 100w watt aftermarket rip offs. These things are hot, draw a lot of current and will explode. They also overheat your wires and sockets. Not worth the cost and damage.

2) Replace the system with a HID system, about 10,000 - 14,000 baht.

The problem is I don't think the VIGO has internal reflectors on the cases in front of the bulb socket. The OEM bulbs are coated at the tip so light doesn't shine directly like a high beam. HID bulbs don't have the coated tips because HIDs are designed for use with reflectors or non direct light systems. HIDs are suppose to generate glow not shine directly. So if you do get a HID system make sure you get a reflector socket. Otherwise you will be driving with high beams all the time pissing off other drivers. I love my HID replacement system. Its 100% more stable and consitent. Its brigher, less heat and doesn't screw up my wiring and even draws less power! Make sure you mount the ballasts high though, don't get them wet. Also I recommend no higher than 6,000k. Any higher and you sacrifice brightness and visibilty for color. I prefer a bright white light other than some blue, green, or purple. Actually the most lumens output per watt of energy is 4300k