Battery Trickle Charger

ozsamurai

a computer power supply will work....or just buy a UPS and connect the leads to your battery instead of the one inside the UPS...a UPS uses a 12 volt battery inside.

for a real high current charger and variable voltage, thats another thing.

The small local hardware shops that look like they have everything usually have an assortment of battery chargers. Just stop in and look around you will see the variety. The one I bought will do 6 or 12 volts but not trickle rate but OK for me. It was cheap

I haven't seen proper trickle chargers over here yet.

I had one brought over from Europe, checks if your battery is still OK, trickle charges, does battery re-generation the whole works.

Comes with cabling so you can install a little plug somewhere convenient so as not having to open your engine compartment everyday...

Best bet would try to find one online and hope they ship to Thailand, or let a friend bring one over!

Something like this:

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?...40b1986df74fb8d

Thank you for all the suggestions, the leg work today revealed two places

Paragon: Had a jumper unit that can be charged but is not a charger itself for 2950

Khlong Thom: Downstairs in the auto parts building, variable rate charger 6V or 12V for 1300

As the car was dead I have the battery on charge now and we'll see in the morning, now just to find out what was draining it. I had a new stereo fitted last night, he said something about turning it off, normally its switched through the IGN key, maybe he's done something weird there. It would be a pain to have to remember every time to make sure the stereo is off.....hmmmm.

Thanks all

oz

oops thought you had a motorcycle...

i used to be a car audio tech....the system should turn off when the key is off....and the system should power up when the key is in the 'acc' position...not the 'ign' position..any other way and the installation isnt right.

theres a wire on the cd player called the remote turn on which is suppose to connect to the amps and power antennae.

I have been having a few problems with running the battery flat, short trips etc. I would like to find a trickle charger for a 12V battery to do top ups, but haven't seen any as yet, can anyone point to a store?

Oz

Ozsamuri,

Here in Issan, small 12V / 6 V0lt, Wet / Dry, chargers are available at local markets and hardware stores for 220 / 250 Baht. With thier low output on "dry" setting they are ideal for Trickle charge, but as the max at 12 V is two amps, no good for Quick charge. In my experience if an auto battery goes flat for any reason for more than three or four cycles or if left flat for a period they are a definate "bin Job". No Lazerus within the modern Accumulator scene.

Basics:

1)What is the age of the battery? If over or nearly two years it could be the battery it self. Have it tested !

2)Are you sure the battery is charged in the car whilst driving? If you have your battery tested let them check this too, it is easy.

VVP have been advertising battery chargers in the Bangkok Post. Their web page is http://www.vvp4x4.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=33_120

I am sure that they have what you are after. However, I have to agree with others, you should not need to trickle charge a good modern battery. We have trucks and heavy equipment that sits for months and normally starts without needing a boost.

• 4 weeks later...
Basics:

1)What is the age of the battery? If over or nearly two years it could be the battery it self. Have it tested !

2)Are you sure the battery is charged in the car whilst driving? If you have your battery tested let them check this too, it is easy.

Most places that sell batteries can test it for you. They will charge it for a few hours and then put a load on it and see how much the voltage drops. This is a good indicator of how well the battery is holding a charge and how much power it will give you on demand. Time, overcharging and undercharging all take their toll. Never leave a battery discharged. You can also get an indication of the capacity of an older battery by checking specific gravity after its been charged.

Have you checked the fluid level and topped up to the line with distilled water?

• 1 year later...

I am looking to bring back a trickle charger from England. The ones on sale here say they are suitable for particular engine sizes. Does this really make a difference. It has confused me, although that is not difficult to do.

My concern is that I need one for a small petrol car and a large deisel pick-up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

the best trickle chargers are the CTEK's patented in Sweden, made in China, they're for sale in Thailand at VVP on Srinakarin road.

These really do the work, they won't overcharge since they're regulated properly, they can deliver quite some charge if required. Recall they're around 3k baht. These are especxially good if you have longer periods of non use.

H

Thank you for all the suggestions, the leg work today revealed two places

Paragon: Had a jumper unit that can be charged but is not a charger itself for 2950

Khlong Thom: Downstairs in the auto parts building, variable rate charger 6V or 12V for 1300

As the car was dead I have the battery on charge now and we'll see in the morning, now just to find out what was draining it. I had a new stereo fitted last night, he said something about turning it off, normally its switched through the IGN key, maybe he's done something weird there. It would be a pain to have to remember every time to make sure the stereo is off.....hmmmm.

Thanks all

oz

Was there a capacitor installed? I bought a car recently that runs a lot of power through the stereo and it uses a capacitor. I was told by both the seller and the battery guy ( just bought a new one and he changed it) that the capacitor needed to be turned off so as to not drain the battery. I'm not sure why this is so, but I've had two people tell me this.

the best trickle chargers are the CTEK's patented in Sweden, made in China, they're for sale in Thailand at VVP on Srinakarin road.

These really do the work, they won't overcharge since they're regulated properly, they can deliver quite some charge if required. Recall they're around 3k baht. These are especxially good if you have longer periods of non use.

H

seconded, best there is in LOS and at 2500-3000 baht not bad price