Best Bank For Farang

I'm going to disagree with Soutpeel and recommend Kasikorn. Have opened up several accounts, using visas on arrival, and have had no problems. Also every branch I've been in has been extremely helpful. Helped me set up my online accounts and get a web-card (think a Visa card with a proper CVV that you can use for online purchases).

Having said that, what is with the Mickey Mouse account balance/transaction system they have on their website? Shouldn't online banking be available all hours of the day not just between the hours of 0600 and 1530 (or so)?

Have opened up several accounts, using visas on arrival, and have had no problems.
Please be 100% clear in your use of these words - do you mean a visa that you applied for and were granted at the airport when you landed in Thailand or do you mean a 30-day permision to stay based on having a passport issued by a particular nation. Doesn't bother/affect me personally but such mis-information can confuse people reading these threads at a later date.

I also offer a vote for SCB but hold other accounts as well.

Please be 100% clear in your use of these words - do you mean a visa that you applied for and were granted at the airport when you landed in Thailand or do you mean a 30-day permision to stay based on having a passport issued by a particular nation. Doesn't bother/affect me personally but such mis-information can confuse people reading these threads at a later date.

I also offer a vote for SCB but hold other accounts as well.

Good call. The visa I was talking about was the one issued to me based upon my passport (American) that I obtain on arrival. I show them my passport, they take a picture (don't know what they do with all those old ones), and give me a pretty little stamp in return. So, per Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, my mis-use of the term "visa on arrival" is wrong. I actually fall under the Tourist Visa Exemption. I'm not sure if the differences would matter to those attempting to open an account though.

My apologies to all those confused.

Get all 3 majors. Bangkok Bank - everywhere, Siam Commercial (easiest for money payment over net) and Kasikorn for webcard (like real visa for online with CVV).

When you get them all set up, you can transfer Bt100,000 a day between any of them instantly for a few baht at Bt50,000 a go.

When you get them all set up, you can transfer Bt100,000 a day between any of them instantly for a few baht at Bt50,000 a go.
I had my SCB online transfer limit raise a few years ago, took one phone call an about 30 minutes. I think it was increased to 250,000 Baht per day - not sure.

I opened an account in kasikorn, very satisfied with them. They where very helpful, I had some problems with my log in (forgot password)on Cyber account and the call center helped me immediately and guide me by phone, even its was 03.OOam Thai time.

My account is an BKK branch, but when I visited a branch in Nakhonsawan they where very helpfully to give me the information needed, and took all efforts to find out the things I would like to know. They even phoned head office for it.

Sometimes English speaking staff is difficult to find, but at the end they always find somebody.

I short, itsa great bank for me.

Farang friendly Banks in Thailand?None really.

I have an account with the BKK Bank,the main branch in Silom,it's the best that I found.(but I'll change to the HSBC next time).

My local branch,I quitted long ago,gave me only worry!

Tried the SCB,it went well as long they didn't change the manager,after that, s***.

Now by Kasikorrn,last week I had to go to the office where i opened my account to to cash a check,and 3 days later,of course.

No credit/debit Card at all,for that you have to be a (pennyless)Thai.

Not a big problem,I can use my wife Cards,but Thai banking remains in the MiddleAge. :o

Most of the above listed banks will do. What is important is to get a branch near where you are going to be most of the time. For instance if you are in Pattaya but established your account in Bangkok, you will have to pay a small ATM fee to get your money out of your bank's ATM in Pattaya. So where you establish your bank account will impact your use.

I vote for SCB but have heard good things about Kasikorn and have had mixed results with Bangkok Bank.

Kasikorn bank: try to do anything over the net and they send you one time password (OTP) via SMS, just before you press Enter key. Even for balance inquiry.

Now, what if you don't have mobile phone?

What if you are abroad? You need a Thai mobile number with roaming (60-70$ per month).

What if you are in Japan where you can not receive the SMS, unless you have Thai mobile + roaming + guarantee it will work in Japan at all?

My wife had to send 5000B to her mother (from Kasikorn to Kasikorn account) and that is IMPOSSIBLE via Kasikorn without that SMS password.

Bangkok bank: works from anywhere, no SMS needed (only 1st time when you register 3rd party accounts). And the money went as drag and drop from Japan.

Kasikorn bank: try to do anything over the net and they send you one time password (OTP) via SMS, just before you press Enter key. Even for balance inquiry.

What if you are abroad? You need a Thai mobile number with roaming (60-70$ per month).

What if you are in Japan where you can not receive the SMS, unless you have Thai mobile + roaming + guarantee it will work in Japan at all?

My wife had to send 5000B to her mother (from Kasikorn to Kasikorn account) and that is IMPOSSIBLE via Kasikorn without that SMS password.

Bangkok bank: works from anywhere, no SMS needed (only 1st time when you register 3rd party accounts). And the money went as drag and drop from Japan.

Hmm, your wife needs to visit the branch and change it from OTP to an online PIN. If that branch doesn't know how to do that, time to switch branches. I've had great success with the big branch in Samut Prakarn; there's an older balding manager (sorry forgot his name) who seems to want to go out of his way for the wife and I when we go in there.

Hmm, your wife needs to visit the branch and change it from OTP to an online PIN. If that branch doesn't know how to do that, time to switch branches. I've had great success with the big branch in Samut Prakarn; there's an older balding manager (sorry forgot his name) who seems to want to go out of his way for the wife and I when we go in there.

She told them we need the account just for online transfers from Japan. They said no problem.

When we did a test transfer within BKK, we noticed the catch. Then she went to the branch and complained - that's how it works, no exceptions they said.

Could be their incompetence but that may explain another thing - most of foreigners who reported success in opening bank account in BKK with passport and no any visa - did that with Kashikorn Bank. That brings more doubts about Kashikorn Bank and their general competence in their bread and butter activities.

No, thanks.

Edited by think_too_mut

All major banks and their services mentioned here are good, different branches, different people different situations - differing results!

Bank of Ayutthaya and Siam City Bank are competitive as well!

Edited by Samuian

That brings more doubts about Kashikorn Bank and their general competence in their bread and butter activities.
My take on most experiances reported here, bank policy varies depending on time of day, staff member you are speaking to and the weather amoung other factors.

That brings more doubts about Kashikorn Bank and their general competence in their bread and butter activities.
My take on most experiances reported here, bank policy varies depending on time of day, staff member you are speaking to and the weather amoung other factors.

and the phases of the moon, the particular day you walk in.. :o

You're not wrong. I think everyones experiences vary. In my own experience Kasikorn bank is the worst bank I've encountered in 40 years on 3 continents in 7 countries. Others say it's quite good. I think opening a few accounts at various banks might be the best approach, and then close the accounts at the banks you like least.

She told them we need the account just for online transfers from Japan. They said no problem.

When we did a test transfer within BKK, we noticed the catch. Then she went to the branch and complained - that's how it works, no exceptions they said.

Could be their incompetence but that may explain another thing - most of foreigners who reported success in opening bank account in BKK with passport and no any visa - did that with Kashikorn Bank. That brings more doubts about Kashikorn Bank and their general competence in their bread and butter activities.

No, thanks.

Well, your experience differs significantly from mine. I'd recommend changing branches, because as I've said, there's imbeciles the world around.

I'm surprised you didn't root around in your account page and find the attached form. Print it out, take it to the local branch and it will get things done the way you like it.

You're not wrong. I think everyones experiences vary. In my own experience Kasikorn bank is the worst bank I've encountered in 40 years on 3 continents in 7 countries. Others say it's quite good. I think opening a few accounts at various banks might be the best approach, and then close the accounts at the banks you like least.

You got it, had same experience, but back then it was still named "Thai Farmers Bank" it was horror, I got the impression there that you had to be thankful to be allowed in there and have them have your money! Just terrible... my best experience was with Siam City, very friendly, very helpful, including a cup of Chinese tea whilst waiting!

But yes, it seems to depend on a variety of factors, it's certainly not exceptionally service based industry, the bells ring different here....

Farang friendly Banks in Thailand?None really.

I have an account with the BKK Bank,the main branch in Silom,it's the best that I found.(but I'll change to the HSBC next time).

My local branch,I quitted long ago,gave me only worry!

Tried the SCB,it went well as long they didn't change the manager,after that, s***.

Now by Kasikorrn,last week I had to go to the office where i opened my account to to cash a check,and 3 days later,of course.

No credit/debit Card at all,for that you have to be a (pennyless)Thai.

Not a big problem,I can use my wife Cards,but Thai banking remains in the MiddleAge. :o

I had my debetcard immedeatly. Everything in my name. And I only put 10 000 baht in my new account.They just ask my pasport and an contact adress in Thailand.. I have O visa 1 year multiple entrance.

Kasikorn Its no problem to make an money transfer from abroad.. my wife have and I have a prepaid mobile phone card from.123. Not neccesary to have roaming. They send the pasport wherever you are. I live in Belgium I just switch my belgium sim card with the Thai one. If you have no mobile they can send the otp code in by mail, you just have to contact the 24/7 callcenter to arrange it.

You got it, had same experience, but back then it was still named "Thai Farmers Bank" it was horror, I got the impression there that you had to be thankful to be allowed in there and have them have your money! Just terrible... my best experience was with Siam City, very friendly, very helpful, including a cup of Chinese tea whilst waiting!

But yes, it seems to depend on a variety of factors, it's certainly not exceptionally service based industry, the bells ring different here....

I always contact the contactcenter of kasikorn when I like to have some information. I do it by mail or phone. Always a very swift and accurate reply to all my questions and problems, in fluent English.

If I compare the service of kasikorn with Bangkokbank its like night and day.

BKK Bank is ok except that 100% of any printed documents are in Thai.

They just don't give a dam_n.

Don't bother with the hate flames.

No out of town ATM fees with them & branches open 365 except public holidays. BigC Tesco & Carrefour all have these little branches.

I was pissed that the merchants name wasn't mentioned on the VISA (BeFirst) statement. That's a 200 baht per year "option".

No one mentioned Standard Chartered. They are actually a local bank too. Branch limited, but it has one near where I live that opens 7 days a week. Although they are small (here), I am quite happy with them. I have never wire money out before. But I have no problem wire money in.