Thaksin Guilty In Land Case, Gets 2-year Imprisonment

george

Thaksin guilty in land case, gets 2-year imprisonment

post-128-1224579223_thumb.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra sentenced to two years in jail

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court Tuesday found former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra guilty in the Ratchada land case.

He was sentenced to 2 years in jail.

Pojaman Shinawatra, his wife, was found not guilty and the court revoked arrest warrant against her.

The court found that Thaksin had violated Article 100 and Article 102 of the National Counter Corruption Act, which states that government officials, including prime ministers, and their spouses are prohibited from entering into or having interests in contracts with state agencies under their supervision.

-- The Nation 2008-10-21

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was not the government official.

He had to OK her purchasing the land as a subservient female.

His acts not hers.

She has her own stretch to do for her attempts a asset conceilment still.

Yes I saw this coming last year. Was raised with a lawyer in the house.

All the elements were there for conviction. It sets a landmark for politicians now also.

Not sure how they can get around this other than to invalidate the courts with legislation.

It is now a done deal, and all points of law are argued and adjudicated.

He's toast as well as any future legal political seats.

Bur then again... they want to distract us while they rewrite the constitution.

Can they do that while we watch war in the streets for 2 weeeks?

There is the NEW 900lb gorilla sitting in the corner.

Edited by animatic

Thaksin guilty in land deal case

Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions Tuesday found ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra guilty in Ratchadaphisek land deal case and sentenced him to 2 years in jail. His wife Khunying Potjaman was freed from all charges.

Continued here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=131548

Interesting he goes down and she doesnt.

I guess we just await the rush for constitutional ammendments to start now.

I don't know the Thai law very much, but a guess might be that he abused power, but she just bought cheap, didn't abuse power nor paid any corruption money.

But just an idea......

Interesting he goes down and she doesnt.

I guess we just await the rush for constitutional ammendments to start now.

I don't know the Thai law very much, but a guess might be that he abused power, but she just bought cheap, didn't abuse power nor paid any corruption money.

But just an idea......

That's what I thought.

Besides, she wasn't on trial was she?

BBC NEWS, Page last updated at 08:45 GMT, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 09:45 UK

Thai ex-PM guilty of corruption

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been found guilty of corruption and sentenced to two years in prison by the Thai Supreme Court.

In the landmark ruling, he was found to have used political influence to help his wife purchase land from a state agency at a knock-down price.

The couple fled to the UK in August, saying they would not get a fair trial.

The decision comes amid growing tension between the former leader's supporters and his opponents.

The Supreme Court's decision is the first in a series of cases lodged against Mr Thaksin.

For weeks protesters have demanded the resignation of the government, saying it is too close to Mr Thaksin.

The administration of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat - who is Mr Thaksin's brother-in-law - has been virtually paralysed by the protests.

And correspondents say the verdict is unlikely to pacify the thousands of protesters who have been camped outside the prime minister's office for the past two months.

Unquote

The fact that he has been convicted is a very important milestone in Thai history.

I,d like to think he would serve the sentence handed down, but even if he doesn,t, the important precedent has been set and many of the ex TRT and the present substitute government will be well and truly wondering what will happen next. for the rest of them.

IMHO as always.

Happy times indeed by the mere fact that he was found guilty.

marshbags :o:D

P.S.

My only other observation is that he only got 2 years and not a sentence at least equal to those being served by petty criminals who are incarcerated for decades for what in comparison to this offence in terms of accountability and it,s offence against the justice system and the laws of Thailand fade into insignificance.

Edited by marshbags

The BBC is reporting that Thaksin expected a guilty verdict. He also stated that he is not in fact seeking asylum in the UK.

Well that means:

1. He is so rich he can stay there forever

2. He is a British Citizen

3. He knows old Somchai is gonna pull a constitutional ammendment and allow him to come marching home again.

4. He plans on doing the time

5. He is gonna relocate to some West Indian paradise and tax haven

6. He is going to lead a band of mercenaries to take Thailand

7. He is lying

8. Something quite ludicrous

The BBC is reporting that Thaksin expected a guilty verdict. He also stated that he is not in fact seeking asylum in the UK.

Criminals do tend to know their guilt.

He is not seeking asylum. He is just taking a break in peaceful London because there are too many riots in Bangkok.

never going to jail,so why waste tax payers money on court cases till he's back in thailand .

Well, justice has been done but now theres even more reason for him not to come back here anytime soon. Nonetheless, I doubt we have heard the end of it yet.

never going to jail,so why waste tax payers money on court cases till he's back in thailand .

Because it sets a precedent.

Because it is FACT now.

Because it loses him some support at a critical time.

Because it scotches his asylum bid

which he JUST retracted 10 minutes after conviction.

Because he deserved it if only symbolicly.

Because it will be tied in with other upcoming trials

as matters of record.

With both Thaksin and Pojaman now being convicted criminals, I wonder if both did get extradited back and imprisoned if they would allow conjugal visits between them?

What horrible imagery.

Great ruling.

Now lets see which way his cronies jump and how PAD react to that.

With both Thaksin and Pojaman now being convicted criminals, I wonder if both did get extradited back and imprisoned if they would allow conjugal visits between them?

I got told in a Thai jail with enough money, you have rooms, office own chef, fax internet, phone etc etc etc....

Just a question of money.

The trial is a fair as it could get. Pojamas was found not guilty and 2 years is a brisk compared to 10 years.

pojamas would have had more respect if she just stayed in bkk on bail and went to the verdict. She would have just walked away from the courthouse no questions asked.

Because it sets a precedent.

Because it is FACT now.

Because it loses him some support at a critical time.

Because it scotches his asylum bid

which he JUST retracted 10 minutes after conviction.

Because he deserved it if only symbolicly.

Because it will be tied in with other upcoming trials

as matters of record.

Definitely sets a precedent for all politicians, current and future. Can't be a bad thing for Thailand.

Not sure it loses him any support. His loyalists will always claim it is politically motivated. It will become a cause celebre for many.

Asylum bid scotched. I don't think so, on the basis that he can claim it is politically motivated.

Anyone know for sure if this is the case

Unfortunately the bastards still got the land!!! Read the fine print ........ Unbelievable yeah you are convicted of illegally acquiring it, but we will give you the land anyway:

"The high court ruled to sanction the land transaction and dismissed the prosecution request to seize the plot."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30086540

Is like his quitting politics?

This will send his little blown out of proportions ego, absolutely ballistic!

It won't stop him from remote controlling and steering the political apparatus i this country, he has all the means at his hands and the willing servants are already united in the "new HQ" in the Shin.Corp. Building!

Yes, next is the constitution..... and an amnesty, or something similar, maybe we see the day his proxy government will try to declare the courts proxies of Sondhi, Chamlong and the PAD including Sonthi and Surayud!

"Lawyers of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra files a complaint with police against Sondhi Limthongkul, his Manager newspaper and cable TV for disseminating libellous information against Thaksin."

Frontpage Headlines from - The Nation -

Unfortunately the bastards still got the land!!! Read the fine print ........ Unbelievable yeah you are convicted of illegally acquiring it, but we will give you the land anyway:

"The high court ruled to sanction the land transaction and dismissed the prosecution request to seize the plot."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30086540

Amazing decision. I can't find anywhere that they should recompense the state for it's supposed loss either. Just possible fines up to 20k. These laws on the books are always skewed to custodial sentences, but surely, if you are convicted of profiting from robbing the state there should be a recompense. How can they keep the land???

I got told in a Thai jail with enough money, you have rooms, office own chef, fax internet, phone etc etc etc....

Just a question of money.

Did you hear that from Chuwit? I guess with enough money, you can also have own webcam and satelite transmission to run the war room. Perhaps he can boardcaste live 24 hours "Ex PM and 1st lady in jail". How much would NBT/TOC/ASTV pay for the boardcasting rights?

Well pojamas was the one that bought it. And she wasn't guilty. So I guess she gets to keep it. The FIDF should be the guilty ones for selling so cheap.

With the current economic crisis, the property is over price now. No thanks, FIDF don't want it back. Pojamas can keep it, and book the loss.

Oh I forgot. With all her asset frozen, she have no where to book the loss to offset tax.

Toxin did agood hing in leaving. If he was here he would have had his in-law government build a 1st class private prison with government money. Probably some 100 rai mansion with a sign that says detention center. With free visit hours, cable t.v., race track, zoo, etc. the entire PPP would be able to visit and hold meetings.

Kinda like a Pablo Escobar prison.

Two years for emptying the nation's treasury. WOW! I am in the wrong business. And Merry Olde England, whose immigration officers traumatize and humiliate tourists at entry points to assure the they will leave the Kindgom, will welcome the wealthy convicted felon with open arms and permit unlimited residence.