Baldness Is A Big Fear For Most Thai Men

george

BTW, that pic of Tina Turner shows her in a wig.

vanity runs deep, particularly here in Thailand - which is becoming sooooo consumer driven.

That's why it's a relief (for me) to visit neighboring countries - particularly off the beaten track, where traditional values, closer to nature - are appreciated.

In contrast, I brefly perused a Thai womens' gossip mag the other day, and nearly all the dozens of ads were for whitening creams.

If Thai men could appreciate Thai womens' innate beauty (and lovely milk chocolate skin tone) as much as farang men do, then things might be a bit less insane - at least in the whitening cream industry.

Yes Tina is in a wig.

She has hundreds of them. It's a business expense.

I met her on her last HUGE tour, and she made me a salad in the dressing room.

Made the dressing on the spot herself and handed me the plate.

Cool lady, very well spoken and kind hearted, no airs at all.

most thai's i know with thinning hair are part chinese ,it seem full thai's seldom lose there hair.

You may have a point as apparently baldness in Thai men is more common in the North of Thailand than in Isaan. Apparently this is due to different ethnicity . Read about this in the Bangkok Posts weekend supplement donkeys years ago.

At least among younger Thai men, there seems to be a trend to excess hair. Waiting in the internet cafe today, there were no schoolboy/military style haircuts on the staff. Almost all had shoulder length hair, bangs/fringe, and those incredibly long locks in the front that went to their chin.

Yes Tina is in a wig.

I agree, she's very nice. She invited me for a salad too, but I was far too busy getting rat-arsed with Britney at the time.

Yes Tina is in a wig.

I agree, she's very nice. She invited me for a salad too, but I was far too busy getting rat-arsed with Britney at the time.

I helped her soundman with some system issues at Saratoga

when her second huge album tour was on, and that got me full access.

First thing he did was take myself and a friend to meet her,

and explain what we did.

She was quite gracious and thankful.

I even got a personal thank you note a month later from herself.

I also worked with Ike...once... not the same attitude for sure.

She had 3 steamer trunks filled with just wigs.

Edited by animatic

BTW, that pic of Tina Turner shows her in a wig.

vanity runs deep, particularly here in Thailand - which is becoming sooooo consumer driven.

That's why it's a relief (for me) to visit neighboring countries - particularly off the beaten track, where traditional values, closer to nature - are appreciated.

In contrast, I brefly perused a Thai womens' gossip mag the other day, and nearly all the dozens of ads were for whitening creams.

If Thai men could appreciate Thai womens' innate beauty (and lovely milk chocolate skin tone) as much as farang men do, then things might be a bit less insane - at least in the whitening cream industry.

Yes Tina is in a wig.

Geez folks, I know it was a wig that Tina was wearing. The post was meant to be a humourous tongue-in-cheek comment on the subject of baldness and had nothing to do with race. To delete the picture and then make remarks about Thai male's lack of appreciation of dark skinned women is really an unfair twisting of the intent of my post. Lighten up why don't ya.

Yes Tina is in a wig.

Thats funny ? Britney never mentioned meeting you. I'm gutted :D Mind you , when I was having breakfast at Tiffeneys with Tina she said some cruel things about animatics verse but I stuck up for him....I mean, Nutbush City Limits ??? She's a one to talk. Oh and finaly, did you know she's got a bald.......oh maybe not....I said I wouldn't mention it. :o

since this thread is getting dominated by the ever amazing Tina, let me ask a question:

About 30 years ago I saw a cool book with no text, just great realistic paintings of rock stars.

The pic of Tina showed her hanging laundry outside - the 'wholesome Tina' than few get to see up close.

Does anyone know about that book and/or where it might be found?

Another great book, again without text, had only paintings by a San Francisco painter. Each painting looked like the most fantastic LSD trip - with patterned sunset skies, etc. a true work of genius. I can't recall the authors for either of those two excellent books, but any tips would be mucho appreciarlo. .....sorry to get so off topic. Not really.

But not at all happy when you toss your cookies EH .

What is all the concern about the egotistical Thai males going bald ? Should they face the truth instead of putting as much into losing face , i for one would feel much more comfortable knowing i would be more likely to be told the truth instead of subterfuge to hide it in as many ways as possible .

A better topic may been the seemingly very difficult task of whales probogating , or whatever !

Oh the thought of Tina Turner whipping out Animatic's salad dressing by hand and handing it over to him on the plate.

TV has certainly changed in this past week. More pix in "university dress" thread, now Tina - it's become very cultural.

Getting back to the subject-my Thai husband (who looks nothing like Tina Turner) has been shaving his head for about 15 years, long before it became fashionable. He also has a full beard which if you look around is quite unusual for Asians, although beards, hairy legs etc are around more than there used to be-on males that is.I reckon its to do with the diet-more dairy and meat.Nothing hubbie likes better than a big steak on the barbie(with a stubby to help it along of course)

Miss Raesum states, "Nothing hubbie likes better than a big steak on the barbie (with a stubby to help it along of course)"

BB replies: I don't know what 'a stubby' is, but I'm too proper to venture a guess in mixed company.

Seriously though; we've got bunches of Thai men worried about 'face' as it pertains to hair on their heads. An we've got millions of Thai women worried about shielding themselves from getting a few rays of sun on their faces.

Good thing they can't see what's on the inside, and I don't mean 'psychologically speaking.'

I mean physiologically. Nearly everyone, Thais and others, have caked up globs of yuk stuck in their colons. Sometimes that gunk becomes like a large misshapen rubber snake - and it's lodged in the colon for decades. Sure doesn't do any good.

The message here is: devote some attention to what you eat and (if you can handle it) fasting - and your physical attractiveness will be enhanced much more than any amount of hair plugs or whitener creams. Cleansing from the inside out yields REAL natural beauty. All else is window dressing. Oh, and don't forget a good aerobic work-out at least once per day.

The Thais should seek and use my motto when it comes to baldness, 'No FEAR'......

Here I am at 50 and all I have to say is, 'Thanks Grandpa!!!!'

Yes, that is a nice jacket for sure. :o With a new tie and a updated haircut you would look awesome

Edited by Hawkup2000

The Thais should seek and use my motto when it comes to baldness, 'No FEAR'......

Here I am at 50 and all I have to say is, 'Thanks Grandpa!!!!'

Yes, that is a nice jacket for sure. :D With a new tie and a updated haircut you would look awesome

Are you 'hitting' on me again? :o

Why do so many people want hairs in this hot weather? I have grown my hair just a little bit a while ago. In the morning it looked nice, but in the evening it was so dark and sweety. A shaved head might not be cool for all but it certainly feels cool and comfortable. My mother chose a nice Thai style wig for me, which according to others, suits me well. I like to wear it to have a new look for a while, and it can be washed without messing the bathroom floor!

In my home counrty there are always remarks about baldness, but I am amazed that Thais have hardly ever mentioned something to me. I had some remarks about a few grey hairs before, though, but they call it white hair. :o

Why do so many people want hairs in this hot weather? I have grown my hair just a little bit a while ago. In the morning it looked nice, but in the evening it was so dark and sweety. A shaved head might not be cool for all but it certainly feels cool and comfortable. My mother chose a nice Thai style wig for me, which according to others, suits me well. I like to wear it to have a new look for a while, and it can be washed without messing the bathroom floor!

In my home counrty there are always remarks about baldness, but I am amazed that Thais have hardly ever mentioned something to me. I had some remarks about a few grey hairs before, though, but they call it white hair. :o

Its' funny how men with little or no hair say how being bald is 'cool'.... lmfao

I choose long hair because I can. Growing up in the 60s and 70s long hair was the 'in thing' and I have always kept it long in style. Mind you these days it is not nearly as long as I used to when I was in my teens and early 20s. But having long hair is kind of like a 'chick magnet', sort of like having that cute puppy dog in your back pocket. (Not that I need that now as I am faithfully married to the 'love of my life'.) Yeah, I can hear you now saying, 'Yeah yeah yeah, sure, what a joke." I'll tell you this, sit me in a bar anywhere, BKK, Tokyo, NYC with a 50 year old bald man and see who the girls start talking to first or just open up to easier... I am sure it will not be the bald dude.

And as for being hot, yes I get hot, but here in LOS everyone gets hot even the bald guys. Yeah I sweat too (..and I am "sweet") but not excessively as I am not one of those many overweight 50 year olds. And when I do sweat (........I'm still "sweet".....) I would rather look like a damp mop rather than a melting Popsicle.

By the way, my hair is blonde so the white hairs I do get blend right in... I really don't notice them but my wife always seems to find them.... :D

Edited by dingdongrb

How many bald guys would want a bald woman?

:o

Well, Britney didn't look so hot when she shaved (her head), but I forgave her for one night. Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta), Demi Moore (GI Jane), Bjork (Icelandic pop star), Sinead O'Connor (Irish singer) didn't look too bad with little or no hair, though Demi is a little larger than I normally prefer.

I could grow my hair any which way I like now, but prefer a very short "buzz" cut. It's so much easier to maintain and keep clean when working in a place like Afghanistan, and I can keep it that way with with a quick buzz every 2 weeks.

My g/f here tells me she likes it very short as well (the "gray" isn't as apparent). Haven't shaved my head in years, but when I did, the girls seem to like it.

No matter. People have been going bald long before they knew how to write, and will be going bald long after we are all gone, so who cares ?

:o

Well, Britney didn't look so hot when she shaved (her head), but I forgave her for one night. Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta), Demi Moore (GI Jane), Bjork (Icelandic pop star), Sinead O'Connor (Irish singer) didn't look too bad with little or no hair, though Demi is a little larger than I normally prefer.

I could grow my hair any which way I like now, but prefer a very short "buzz" cut. It's so much easier to maintain and keep clean when working in a place like Afghanistan, and I can keep it that way with with a quick buzz every 2 weeks.

My g/f here tells me she likes it very short as well (the "gray" isn't as apparent). Haven't shaved my head in years, but when I did, the girls seem to like it.

No matter. People have been going bald long before they knew how to write, and will be going bald long after we are all gone, so who cares ?

Try Persis Kambata from Star Trek. Perfect just like that.

:D

If people didn't care about their hair, they wouldn't be spending US$ billions a year taking care of it. Baldness (which is different to shaving your head) = dying, aging, chemotherapy, etc., is not the same as CHOOSING to shave your head. One is like trimming back the grass (you can still see life just waiting to spring back), the other is like the dust bowl of the Great Depression. :o

Gals say bald men "try harder" ... there's a reason, they know they need to compensate. More power to them.

:D

Edited by Heng