Things Not To Joke About With Thai's

GeneralFritzPlugmaster

the very ( sad) fact that there happens to be one subject, any subject ( we all know what it is in this case) that any society cannot maturely openly discuss shows the lack of maturity in that society

and why it remains open to question regarding its progress,and the butt of some jokes.

Jokes often contain some truths. And sensible discussion.

Hence we cannot make jokes about this subject because it might just spark some people to start thinking for themselves and question certain things and eventually grow up.

agreed completely, but can't really expound upon this subject.

the very ( sad) fact that there happens to be one subject, any subject ( we all know what it is in this case) that any society cannot maturely openly discuss shows the lack of maturity in that society

and why it remains open to question regarding its progress,and the butt of some jokes.

Jokes often contain some truths. And sensible discussion.

Hence we cannot make jokes about this subject because it might just spark some people to start thinking for themselves and question certain things and eventually grow up.

agreed completely, but can't really expound upon this subject.

I disagree, I might say that those enfused with juvenile contrarianism for the sake of some petty intellectual idealism on government, are the ones that need to grow up. Most Thais know when and when not to pay respect to someone if they deserve it, it's not a blind reverence. Divinity can just as quickly change into infamy if the public sees what's going on, look at Laos or Cambodia. Why then tear something down, just for the sake of it or because one wants to make Thailand a mirror image of our bleak Western countries?

Anyway, I still think joking about ghosts at night is still the number one no-no! :o

Can you joke about money with Thai's? And in what circumstances?

I noticed once that a thai cashier did not react well to a small joke I made about money when I was paying for some items.

I think you need to be careful about money because of the images thereon. The guide books warn especially about using your foot to stop a dropped coin or note from escaping.

I *think* folding notes might be frowned on, too -- I believe I have noticed a nervous laugh when passing those to taxi drivers so no longer do it. Anyone know about that ?

I dont know about "what jokes thai's dont like" but i dont think they understand the following:

Flippancy

Sarcasm

one liners

Puns

winding them up(pommy term)

I would add that not understanding some of these is not just limited to Thai's, I have found our Colonial cousins dont understand the four I have highlighted either.... :o

Yeah, spot on, mate! New Yorkers don't get sarcasm. Absolutely.

I dont know about "what jokes thai's dont like" but i dont think they understand the following:

Flippancy

Sarcasm

one liners

Puns

winding them up(pommy term)

I would add that not understanding some of these is not just limited to Thai's, I have found our Colonial cousins dont understand the four I have highlighted either.... :o

They understand them, they just don't think you're funny.

Does anyone have any thoughts about making jokes to thai's about certain subjects?

Yes..when you are giving it to them personally.

I noticed once that a thai cashier did not react well to a small joke I made about money when I was paying for some items.

But in other cases, there has been no problem.

In certain cultures, one never jokes about a person being fat, but in other cultures it may be ok.

Thais joke about my fat all the time, but then again it is rather cuddly.

The fact that you pay them makes you cuddly.

If you didn't pay, you'd be just another fatso, just like you'd be in the western world.

oh oh, do i sense a bit of envy on the part of our esteemed collegue? no, ok then just I will just ignore his blatently xenophobic comments on the premise of his ignorance and pride.

My regular driver liked to point out that I gained weight after returning from work, he thought it was funny until I told him he just blew his tip :o I had the last laugh, I was just joking with him but did explain that westerners could be offended by his remarks thus losing him tips or clients. He says Thais are not offended by such remarks but thanked me for pointing out the cultural differences.

Edited by Sakeopete

I think some Thais do feel offended by jokes about being fat (perhaps some western sensibilities have crept in) but have to go along with the group, without being seen to take themselves too seriously. Equally, some will admit that it's perhaps not very nice not make such comments but do it anyway.

On the whole though, obviously they're less cautious about it than we.

I think you need to be careful about money because of the images thereon. The guide books warn especially about using your foot to stop a dropped coin or note from escaping.

I *think* folding notes might be frowned on, too -- I believe I have noticed a nervous laugh when passing those to taxi drivers so no longer do it. Anyone know about that ?

No problem with folding notes, unless you fold into an origami swan or something.

Heres a questions; Who has ever watched anything remotely, and intentionally funny broadcast by a Thai production company on Thai TV???

well thai soaps are funny,even though i do not understand a lot of thai(sometimes you dont have)just watching the acting can be quite funny,the girls are always in tears and i like the scenes when someones in hospital and going to pass away,like the husband and standing behind the wife is the wife's boyfriend,and she's in tears...........now thats quite funy.

well thai soaps are funny,even though i do not understand a lot of thai(sometimes you dont have)just watching the acting can be quite funny,the girls are always in tears and i like the scenes when someones in hospital and going to pass away,like the husband and standing behind the wife is the wife's boyfriend,and she's in tears...........now thats quite funy.

Ah, but beachcomber, I said "intentionally' funny.

I watched a Thai soap last night that had me in tears of laughter - It concerned ghosts and black magic and lame special effects. Sort off thing you file under the 'so tacking and bad it makes you laugh' category. Like a bad horror movie.

The slapstick stuff that is supposed to be funny, involving dwarfs and tranvestites and sound effects don't really tickle my funny bone. Especially when played allowed on a twelve hour bus journey!!

Ive found it matters where in Thailand they come from, as to the humour they generally enjoy.

As for rules about what not to joke about, generally safer not to tease anyone unless youre really close, even the smallest tease can be taken far too seriously.

And never joke about the upper most echelons of the state or religion.

Generally the only situation I would tease someone is after they have teased me, thus showing they are feeling close to me. Generally speaking- being a copycat wit is far safer than an original comic yourself.

No problem with folding notes, unless you fold into an origami swan or something.

OK -- won't do that :o .

Wonder what the reaction was then -- happened a number of times.

Only the once. Driver not amused. The fact I was sporting a Tommy Cooper Fez at the time did little to ease the situation- justlikethat!

I watched a Thai soap last night that had me in tears of laughter - It concerned ghosts and black magic and lame special effects. Sort off thing you file under the 'so tacking and bad it makes you laugh' category. Like a bad horror movie.

The slapstick stuff that is supposed to be funny, involving dwarfs and tranvestites and sound effects don't really tickle my funny bone. Especially when played allowed on a twelve hour bus journey!!

So because you don't understand more than basic baroom Thai, it cannot possibly be funny ? :o

What is it with people like you, the fact that Thai people find it funny and you don't makes it stupid ? :D

Edited by Maigo6

So because you don't understand more than basic baroom Thai, it cannot possibly be funny ? :D

What is it with people like you, the fact that Thai people find it funny and you don't makes it stupid ? :D

Without trying to be rude, in one word....YES. Now that's funny, wouldn't you agree? :o

I agree that any joking around about Ghosts seems to be a no-no. Before the official blessing of my bf's new place we went around in the evening and i started joking about ghosts and said "Sawadii pii kha". The look on his face showed he was NOT impressed, but that just made me find it more funny. In the end I apologised to him...and the ghost. :o

About folding money..i do it all the time and never had anyone react strangely.

About personal remarks about weight etc, i notice this a lot. One Thai girl, who is really sweet in general, gets on my nerve a bit by the way she always looks me up and down then comments (or not) about my weight. She will always tell me if i am looking skinny..but never says anything if she thinks im looking bigger. It bugs me a bit to be evaluated every time i see her. Another Thai lady will always say if she thinks im looking nice "oh today you look very beautiful", but says nothing at other times even though she has weighed me up. I recon she just doesnt want to say she doesnt think i look so good that day, but by saying nothing, she just did. I prefer just to ignore it, but some days i cuss in my head for them to mind their own business. :D

..and tnx soundman, time to get some Mr Bean (ughh) followed by Benny Hill (ughhhh) :D

Correct-ish, it used to be a big no-no to scoop up the change, coins and notes, and shove them in your pocket. These days it is less frowned on but you will not make many Thai friends if you persist in it. I'm not sure about folding the notes though but I store them all flat in my wallet which then folds in half.

As for the coin thing I got a clip round the ear from my missus for attempting to stop a runaway coin with my foot. I asked which is better to stop the coin with my foot or have it (with the enshrined image) disappear down a drain. Never really got an answer to that one so dropped the subject.

If anyone wonders why THE subject is not discussed here on TV I suggest you go read up the laws on Lese Majeste. If you can fully understand them you have a better comprehension than just about any Thai alive or dead and I am sure you could find some lucrative work in Thailand. Until, that is, someone influential pops up with a different interpretation and you end up behind bars. I am afraid that if you find that this offends your sense of human rights or liberties you are most probably in the wrong country.

I hope by alluding to THE subject without mentioning it I have kept within forum rules. If not would any Mod please delete the above paragraph.

So because you don't understand more than basic baroom Thai, it cannot possibly be funny ? :o

1. You don't know the level of my Thai language. But for the record, I have been studing the language seven years and watching TV is not a problem.

2. Yes, it is stupid humour. And not all Thai people find it funny.

QUOTE (sylviex @ 2008-10-22 13:44:21) post_snapback.gifQUOTE No problem with folding notes, unless you fold into an origami swan or something.

OK -- won't do that :o .

Wonder what the reaction was then -- happened a number of times.

Only the once. Driver not amused. The fact I was sporting a Tommy Cooper Fez at the time did little to ease the situation- justlikethat!

I meant the reaction which I thought was connected with folded notes happened a few times. An embarrassed/nervous giggle on looking at the note and receiving it. Perhaps I just have that effect on some people :D .

Correct-ish, it used to be a big no-no to scoop up the change, coins and notes, and shove them in your pocket. These days it is less frowned on but you will not make many Thai friends if you persist in it. I'm not sure about folding the notes though but I store them all flat in my wallet which then folds in half.

Just saw that reply. Thanks -- so possibly was something a little wrong. The notes are flat in the wallet but I was folding them before passing them over (because holding in my hand before reaching destination).

Related is that taxi/tuk tuk/songthaew drivers often do a polite "surprised" look when you pay. They seem to avoid looking like they are waiting for the money.

I note that many Thais do handle money quite carefully & respectfully; apart from the images on it there's a bit of superstition attached, it seems.

Edited by sylviex

Thank you for the guide book advice!

Does anyone have any thoughts about making jokes to thai's about certain subjects?

Yes..when you are giving it to them personally.

But in other cases, there has been no problem.

In certain cultures, one never jokes about a person being fat, but in other cultures it may be ok.

Thais joke about my fat all the time, but then again it is rather cuddly.

The fact that you pay them makes you cuddly.

If you didn't pay, you'd be just another fatso, just like you'd be in the western world.

oh oh, do i sense a bit of envy on the part of our esteemed collegue? no, ok then just I will just ignore his blatently xenophobic comments on the premise of his ignorance and pride.

Envy ? :D

You think I'm envious of a fat guy ? :o:D:D

This jerk is at it again. Back to the bottle?

My contribution?

Use common sense.

Do not joke about politics family sex money etc with anyone that you do not know well.

Don't quote guidebooks and then expect to be taken seriously in other threads.

Don't .... ah hel_l, ... just use common sense. If you don't know the people you are talking to and their relative social status to other people that may be within hearing distance it's best not to joke at all unless it is a bit of self-deprecating humor :D

oh yeah .. don't quote guidebooks and go off-topic :o