Sponsor: Nana Pasta Sauce

NanaFoods

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RECIPE UPDATE:

I have added a scrumptious machaca recipe to our El Sapo page ( http://www.nanaproducts.com/El_Sapo.html ), as well as some recipes utilizing machaca.

For those not familiar, machaca is aromatic Mexican shredded beef, for use in just about anything from burritos, enchiladas, and tacos... to taquitos, sopes (Mexican sandwiches), flautas, and more.

Please check them out :)

Edited by ChefHeat

ANNOUNCEMENT:

El Sapo Salsa on the way to selected Villa Markets:

Phuket, Pattaya, Ambassador, Tong Lor, Sukhumvit 33, and maybe a even a few more.

Should be on the shelves around mid next week.

Please give them a try.

Be sure to take a look at the Mexican and TexMex recipes posted on our El Sapo webpage (see link in post above re: Machaca).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES:

We have sent El Sapo salsas to these Villa stores. in addition to the five aforementioned stores.

The six stores below also have our newest Nana Pasta Sauces: Sugo Rosa and Arrabbiata.

New (for us) Villa Market store locations:

Silom

Ploenchit

Lang Suan

Nitchada-Nontaburi

Kaset Nawamin

Aree (Ari?)

However, these new locations do not yet stock our Traditional, Amatriciana, Olive or Mushroom (Key word: "yet"!)

If you shop at the above stores, and would like availability of these flavours, please make a simple request to the manager.

It would help speed things up, for sure. Thanks much.

Good News:

I am also excited to inform that Villa Market's Phuket and Ambassador stores are both re-ordering El Sapo salsa just 2-weeks after the initial stocking order. That shows positive market acceptance and helps us solidify our good supplier standing with Villa.

Thanks so much to all who gave it a try!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT:

A few additional Villa Market locations you can new find our products:

Ratchayothin

Ratchapuk-Nontaburi

Hua Hin (El Sapo salsa only)

Sukhumvit 49 (El Sapo salsa only)

----------------------------------

* We are also now available in Ubon -

at the City Mall FreshMart (next to Sunee Grand Hotel)

----------------------------------

If you live or shop in these areas, please give us a try.

Thanks.

Yes if you want to sell to Falang I would drop the name "Nana" as it has a connotation of a certain plaza. I used to work in advertising so if you need help with a name drop me a pm. Good luck.

Why do you assume the connotation is bad? It's certainly not likely to offend a great many male expats, and might even be considered a positive connotation. :) It certainly doesn't bother me; the Nana hotel is our first choice when we visit BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

A little pasta sauce humor...

The attached is snippet from a MAD Magazine spoof that merges "The Sopranos" with "America's Next Top Model" to create "America's Next Top Mobster". Funny stuff. I just wanted to share a couple panels with you that I thought was amusing and highlights that "pasta sauce snobbery" common amongst Italians (and Italian Americans). They're in my family as well, so no offense to anyone, its just a cultural thing.

Have a good laugh for the day. :)

post-62785-1250476412_thumb.jpg

Yes if you want to sell to Falang I would drop the name "Nana" as it has a connotation of a certain plaza. I used to work in advertising so if you need help with a name drop me a pm. Good luck.

Funny so did I.

Here is my suggestion for a better name ; COWBOY PASTA SAUCE - all the great taste of NANA, without the short-term pressure for those times when you just want to relax.

Funny so did I.

Here is my suggestion for a better name ; COWBOY PASTA SAUCE - all the great taste of NANA, without the short-term pressure for those times when you just want to relax.

I appreciate your concern, good wishes, and willingness to help. However, if I ever do change the name, I believe have the perfect name in mind already - and it sounds very Italian - MAZZIA.

I considered using my last name from the very beginning, but I didn't want any "fame" associated with my name, should our sauce happen to be successful. Nana seemed like a good alternative name - easy to say and remember (especially for Thais), means good things in various languages, and from all who I talked to, they said they perceived positive connotations. I guess I didn't talk to enough people who frequent Bangkok, and I certainly didn't have the budget for extensive focus groups.

I also estimated more % Thais would make up our customer base.... but as things are playing out, it seems Farang are by far the vast majority. I figured Nana would be easy for Thais to say and remember. But that is less of a factor now than we first thought, it seems. So it appears market forces are putting pressure on us to be more "Italian-sounding", so I may have to give-in and just use my last name.

Anywho, if we do consider a name change, we may likely have to do it in steps (as other brands have done), so as to keep our customer base and not confuse anyone. First perhaps NANA Mazzia (Big NANA; smaller Mazzia font), then Nana MAZZIA (smaller Nana; big MAZZIA font) .... then eventually drop the Nana. This will take quite some time and expense (and migraine headaches dealing with the FDA label lady).

I even have sample labels drawn up with the Mazzia brand name - one is attached.

So how do you former advertising people think?

post-62785-1250596914_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat

I was kidding Chef Heat.

As for Mazzia - does sound better than Nana but as you said, I would take some time getting rid of the Nana name entirely from the bottle.

You have spent considerable time building up the brand already and despite and negative jibes about the name, people do remember it.

Funny so did I.

I appreciate your concern, good wishes, and willingness to help. However, if I ever do change the name, I believe have the perfect name in mind already - and it sounds very Italian - MAZZIA.

I considered using my last name from the very beginning, but I didn't want any "fame" associated with my name, should our sauce happen to be successful. Nana seemed like a good alternative name - easy to say and remember (especially for Thais), means good things in various languages, and from all who I talked to, they said they perceived positive connotations. I guess I didn't talk to enough people who frequent Bangkok, and I certainly didn't have the budget for extensive focus groups.

I also estimated more % Thais would make up our customer base.... but as things are playing out, it seems Farang are by far the vast majority. I figured Nana would be easy for Thais to say and remember. But that is less of a factor now than we first thought, it seems. So it appears market forces are putting pressure on us to be more "Italian-sounding", so I may have to give-in and just use my last name.

Anywho, if we do consider a name change, we may likely have to do it in steps (as other brands have done), so as to keep our customer base and not confuse anyone. First perhaps NANA Mazzia (Big NANA; smaller Mazzia font), then Nana MAZZIA (smaller Nana; big MAZZIA font) .... then eventually drop the Nana. This will take quite some time and expense (and migraine headaches dealing with the FDA label lady).

I even have sample labels drawn up with the Mazzia brand name - one is attached.

I do like the "Mazzia" far better than the "Nana" name... no offense.

Now consider this:

"Momma Mazzia" - "home recipe" or use "thick and delicious". This conjures up Italian and the goodness of a home cooked meal. I think you have a winner here.

If you need any other marketing assistance let me know. I'll be in Thailand this fall and will try your sauce.

cheers

Mark

Funny so did I.

Now consider this:

"Momma Mazzia" - "home recipe" or use "thick and delicious". This conjures up Italian and the goodness of a home cooked meal. I think you have a winner here.

If you need any other marketing assistance let me know. I'll be in Thailand this fall and will try your sauce.

cheers

Mark

I meant that to be "Mama Mazzia"

Now consider this:

cheers

Mark

Thanks for your suggestions and willingness to help.

However, for certain the FDA label lady would have a kanipshin fit if we put the word "delicious" on the label.

It's not allowed.

"Thick" may also prove to be problematic (imports like Prego can get away with this, but locals can't - not a level playing field).

Our experience is it's best to keep things (especially the front label) as simple as possible.

"Home Style" would also be a problem - how do you prove that? Our first labels had "Italian Style" on them, and we had to prove to them what "Italian Style" meant. This term may be a given or common knowledge to you and me - but not an easy task to present this to someone (the FDA label lady) who knows absolutely nothing about Italian food. With much headache and delay, we made our case, backed with research and publications on the subject, and got it passed. But on our latest label revision we decided to just leave it out, and things went much more smoothly and swiftly - well worth the omission.

I havent made any conclusion on when or IF we will change our brand name - its merely a contingency plan. But per our experience, simpler is better. Take "Angesi" and "Barilla": companies with 1000x more experience than us - I assume they know quite well what they are doing. I think a simple "Mazzia" would be more fitting along those lines.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Now consider this:

cheers

Mark

Thanks for your suggestions and willingness to help.

However, for certain the FDA label lady would have a kanipshin fit if we put the word "delicious" on the label.

It's not allowed.

"Thick" may also prove to be problematic (imports like Prego can get away with this, but locals can't - not a level playing field).

Our experience is it's best to keep things (especially the front label) as simple as possible.

"Home Style" would also be a problem - how do you prove that? Our first labels had "Italian Style" on them, and we had to prove to them what "Italian Style" meant. This term may be a given or common knowledge to you and me - but not an easy task to present this to someone (the FDA label lady) who knows absolutely nothing about Italian food. With much headache and delay, we made our case, backed with research and publications on the subject, and got it passed. But on our latest label revision we decided to just leave it out, and things went much more smoothly and swiftly - well worth the omission.

I havent made any conclusion on when or IF we will change our brand name - its merely a contingency plan. But per our experience, simpler is better. Take "Angesi" and "Barilla": companies with 1000x more experience than us - I assume they know quite well what they are doing. I think a simple "Mazzia" would be more fitting along those lines.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Somewhat ridiculous guidelines you have to follow but I wonder if you could simply do "Mazzia" as you wish then give your product a catchy name such as "mucho mushroom", "tasty tomato", etc. as this is more a name than a description?

Perhaps you could do "Nana presents" in smaller letters on top followed by "Mazzia" in larger type for the first few runs of the transition.

Interesting stuff about the Thai FDA, had no idea they were so strict with packaging.

Finally got around to trying your Sugo Rosa pasta sauce and Picante Salsa the other day (had never seen these in stock before). They were both excellent. Will be buying again. Regardless of the name. :)

I really hope as you expand you can get your sauces in more stores though.

Interesting stuff about the Thai FDA, had no idea they were so strict with packaging.

Finally got around to trying your Sugo Rosa pasta sauce and Picante Salsa the other day (had never seen these in stock before). They were both excellent. Will be buying again. Regardless of the name. :)

I really hope as you expand you can get your sauces in more stores though.

Hi DP25

Thanks so much for your comments.

I am glad you tried (and liked) our Sugo Rosa and salsa.

So far the salsas are selling quite well, getting regular re-orders.

But it seems people are a little slow to try the Sugo Rosa.

Maybe its a little unfamiliar to some people?

Actually, it's my favorite choice for serving with stuffed pasta like ravioli and cannelloni (I highly recommend trying it this way).

Being a Pasta lover - haven't seen your product in Foodland Pattaya.

Is it just that I missed it, or is Foodland negative to new products? :)

Have "modified" all the Prego sauces already, if I ever see 1 again ...... :D

Hope see your brand here soon.

Being a Pasta lover - haven't seen your product in Foodland Pattaya.

Is it just that I missed it, or is Foodland negative to new products? :)

Have "modified" all the Prego sauces already, if I ever see 1 again ...... :D

Hope see your brand here soon.

Hi PS3,

The reason we are not in Foodland is due to their exorbitant "new vendor fee".

If you're in Pattaya, we have several other Locations:

Best Supermarket (North Pattaya)

Villa Market (Central Pattaya)

Central Food Hall (Central Pattaya)

FoodMart (South Pattaya)

Friendship Supermarket (South Pattaya)

I hope this helps.

I just tried your Sugo Rosa. Its bloody lovely even with pedestrian linguine. Of course I jazz up your sauces with sauteed veg, garlic, and hot pepper.

Excellent news.

Yes, Sugo Rosa is quite suitable for "jazzing up", and can function as a base, much like our Traditional.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Glad to see more folks trying Sugo Rosa :)

• 1 month later...

1/2 OFF SALE AT VILLA MARKET

"Nana Pasta Sauce with Artichoke" will be on sale, 50% off, starting today at all Villa stores that carry us.

We will be discontinuing this flavour, so if you like something different, and artichokes, better get some while you can. I highly recommend trying this sauce with the delicious recipe below:

http://www.nanaproducts.com/uploads/Chicke...omato_Sauce.pdf

We have other recipes for this sauce as well, including a nice tomato-artichoke crostini (under "Appetisers") and a couple soups, including Artichoke Tomato Shrimp Soup (a nice rainy weather dish):

http://www.nanaproducts.com/RECIPES.html

If you dont see the sale promotion sign at your local Villa Market, please inform the manager - and perhaps have him/her check the price with a barcode scanner. Their barcode system should be set by the home office for all locations to be half-price.

Per our stock report, there still exists Nana Artichoke at the following Villa locations:

Sukhumvit 33

Sukhumvit 49

Sukhumvit 55 (ThongLor)

Nitchada

Ambassador

Pattaya

Chaeng Wattana

Kaset Nawamin

Phuket

Thank you.

Oh, man, the artichoke flavor ruled! Sorry to see it go.

Now that we are back in the US we can't get Nana pasta sauce. Sweetie tried some Prego and Muir Glen organic, but after the Nana sauce both were unacceptable. He's decided his only option is to make his own spaghetti sauce. His experiments will begin soon.

Oh, man, the artichoke flavor ruled! Sorry to see it go.

Now that we are back in the US we can't get Nana pasta sauce. Sweetie tried some Prego and Muir Glen organic, but after the Nana sauce both were unacceptable. He's decided his only option is to make his own spaghetti sauce. His experiments will begin soon.

Hi Cathy,

Thank you kindly for the compliments :D

Unfortunately, it seems that there just isn't enough people who love artichokes like we do. :)

Its just not moving fast enough; it moves, but a bit too slowly. Shelf space is limited and a product has to keep up the pace regarding turn-over.

Seriously, I knew it was a bit of a risk from the get-go, as there doesn't seem to be any other brand giving this flavor a whirl. Perhaps it's just too niche - wonderful when you've got a hankering for artichokes and pasta, but not exactly an everyday dish. I was hoping, however, by providing recipes, that I could generate more uses for this sauce. The chicken dish in the above link is really quite good. Had it myself a number of times.

Oh well, I am still quite pleased that thus far, this is the only product, out of ten, that had to be terminated.

As far as I am concerned, that is a darned good statistic.

AND... we still have a few cases here at the factory, so if anyone really wants to order some Artichoke pasta sauce, we can certainly try to accommodate. Just contact us via the email on our website.

Have a nice stay State-side, and I hope to see you return soon, Cathy.

Cheers.

Edited by ChefHeat

• 2 weeks later...

OK, as far as I know the Nana Pasta Sauce with Artichoke sale at Villa is still on while supplies last.

AND... BTW.... please see our "New Product Survey" thread on this board and help us determine/prioritize some possible new products on the drawing board. Thanks much.

I'd like to open up a discussion and feedback forum for our products with the brand name Nana Pasta Sauce.

We've been on the supermarket shelves for about 1 year now, with some encouraging feedback recently. At first, admittedly we didn't quite hit the bull's eye so to speak, but after some early market feedback, and subsequent improvements, I believe we have the right formulas now to please the Western palate, and perhaps even some of the more experienced Thai palates who are acquainted with Italian/Mediterranean cuisine.

At first we had released just two flavors to test the market: Traditional and Amatriciana

Reasons for Traditional is that everyone is familiar with this; it is adaptable to many recipes; and one can add meat or vegetables as they please. I figured this would appeal to Westerners given a price advantage of being made in Thailand, while still using quality ingredients, including imported olive oil and fresh Italian herbs grown at the royal project.

Amatriciana was initially chosen as it is not only an authentic Italian recipe, but it has a robustness in flavor provided by bacon, Parmesan cheese, and a bit of chili. This seemed perfect to attract a Thai customer base while remaining true to tradition, and enjoyed by Westerners alike.

We obtained feedback and made some minor recipe tweaks according to majority customer comments. So we eventually felt good about releasing 3 new flavors, which we did recently - Champignon Mushroom, Olive, and Artichoke.

So now we currently we have 5 flavors on the market.

Traditional and Amatriciana sales are pretty good, and the Mushroom flavor appears to be emerging as a star amongst the 3 new flavors.

I think Artichoke will do much better after we have made a small adjustment in the salt content, as some initial feedback indicates it might be a bit shy on salt. We have a new/improved lot produced already, and focus groups have determined it does indeed have more "spark" ... it just hasn't hit the shelves yet. However, if you want to try out Artichoke now, just remember to add a pinch of salt to taste. Should be no big deal as that is the only change we made. If you prefer slightly less salt anyway, it should be OK for you as is. Currently on sale 2-for-1 at Villa Market until the end of October, I believe.

OK as for this....

Far be it for me to cast the first brick :D , but in coming up with your Italian Grandma name, you have inadvertently opened yourself up to no doubt thousands of hits on your website www.nanaproducts.com for guys looking for information on Bangkok's entertainment scene. Now this will be great for boosting the number of page visits to your site, but I am not sure if the sauce you are selling has the 'right' make-up to satisfy those looking for some less pure and perhaps something a bit spicier.

Then again, for those people wishing to stroll down memory lapse lane after a few fun nights in Bangers, they can always take a few bottles home with them to enjoy while flipping through their mobile pics of their trip to soi 3/4 while singing 'where or where has my little mut gone, or where or where can she be..."

but good luck mate and as I said, I will give it a go next time I am shopping.

I chose Nana because it has positive multilingual meanings...

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian-American -- "Grandma"

Japanese -- "7" (a lucky number)

French -- "Girl", "chick" (slang)

Pretty good meanings...

unless, apparently, one has ever been to Soi Nana area of Bangkok!! :):D:D:D

Anyway, please feel free to let me know how we might be able to improve, if you feel it prudent. Or please tell your friends about our sauce and the quality ingredients... at a value price. For more product and company information, please visit our website at www.nanaproducts.com

Thanks.

Cheers.

I have not tried your sauce, as I am a non Italian, I may become a customer depending on taste and cost, love Mexican Spaghetti that my mother used to make,

P.S. Nana also means grandmother in Mexico!

OK, as far as I know the Nana Pasta Sauce with Artichoke sale at Villa is still on while supplies last.

I bought 8 jars at the Pattaya branch recently--there were only 2 left on the shelf afterwards. Sorry if that's the last of them fellow Pattayans.

I have not tried your sauce, as I am a non Italian, I may become a customer depending on taste and cost, love Mexican Spaghetti that my mother used to make,

We are in the 80-90 baht range for most of our sauces.

Please give us a try. :D

P.S. Nana also means grandmother in Mexico!

Well, there's another language I can add to the list :)

Thanks.