Sponsor: Nana Pasta Sauce

NanaFoods

We have now tried this a couple times, and it's mighty tasty. However, the place we buy it at, Klang Plaza 2 in Korat, charges more for Nana pasta sauce than the similarly sized Prego. Specifically, the Prego is 105 baht and two ounces larger than the Nana at 109 baht. I recall reading here that the maker is trying to make a lower-cost option than the imported sauces. So what's going on? Is Klang ripping us off totally? Is the expense of making such a high-quality sauce increasing the price? What are other people paying for Nana sauce, and how much is Prego at the same location?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have now tried this a couple times, and it's mighty tasty. However, the place we buy it at, Klang Plaza 2 in Korat, charges more for Nana pasta sauce than the similarly sized Prego. Specifically, the Prego is 105 baht and two ounces larger than the Nana at 109 baht. I recall reading here that the maker is trying to make a lower-cost option than the imported sauces. So what's going on? Is Klang ripping us off totally? Is the expense of making such a high-quality sauce increasing the price? What are other people paying for Nana sauce, and how much is Prego at the same location?

I think i paid 75 or 80 baht in Bangkok - perhaps there is extra shipping costs to Korat???

What flavor did you buy?

Artichoke flavor is more expensive... due to the cost of artichokes.

But the rest should be close to 80 baht.

If not, we need to have a chat with them....

Please let me know.

Thanks much.

What flavor did you buy?

Please let me know.

Thanks much.

Hey Chef Heat, I have a question. If you sell a product to a retailer for X baht and the retailer marks it up to X+ baht, is that not within their rights?

What flavor did you buy?

Please let me know.

Thanks much.

Hey Chef Heat, I have a question. If you sell a product to a retailer for X baht and the retailer marks it up to X+ baht, is that not within their rights?

Technically, yes it is.... but when we quote to a retailer, we agree to a margin they stated that they require, and hence wholesale and suggested retail prices are agreed to in the quote. If, hypothetically, a retailer raises the price beyond a reasonable amount, they would be doing a disservice to both us and the customer - the customer for obvious reasons, and us via diminished sales.

What we would do in a case such as that is "have a chat" ... and try to convince them that their short-sightedness is hurting their own bottom line via diminished sales.

However, we did agree with Klang that Artichoke was to retail at 109 baht... which would be exactly on the mark in Cathy's case, if indeed that is what she bought. So need Cathy to confirm.

Edited by ChefHeat

Kirk is correct in saying that technically retailers are free to set prices, price-fixing is illegal (some use the euphemism; resale price maintenance) but in real world both manufacturers and retailers have interest that prices do not fluctuate wildly across the country. The retailer because doesn't want to be priced out from the local competition, waste valuable shelf space with slow moving SKUs and the manufacturers don't want for obvious reasons to be seen charging less / or / more to different retailers, and losing sales in the process. That doesn't mean manufacturers have similar commercial agreements with all retailers, price variances, rebates, marketing activities, ADV support etc... are hidden from view and agreed at head office level. Normally that doesn't filter down to consumers.

That's the standard commercial scenario in an ideal world, now this being Thailand I wouldn't be surprised that the local store manager priced sauces for reasons known to him/her only. The other possibility is what Kirk said about Artichoke sauce. Let's wait for cathyy's clarification.

I have to go back to the store to check the prices to be sure. There was only one price label on the shelf for the Nana pasta sauce, and it seemed to be for whatever flavor(s) were on hand, which I did not examine as we still had a few jars at home bought previously. I doubt it was the artichoke flavor, as none of that flavor had been on hand before and there seemed to not have been any restocking since we bought ours. That would make the remaining stock all olive flavor. But these are all guesses, which is not good enough. I will be heading there in the next few days to check the price and be certain.

I have to go back to the store to check the prices to be sure. There was only one price label on the shelf for the Nana pasta sauce, and it seemed to be for whatever flavor(s) were on hand, which I did not examine as we still had a few jars at home bought previously. I doubt it was the artichoke flavor, as none of that flavor had been on hand before and there seemed to not have been any restocking since we bought ours. That would make the remaining stock all olive flavor. But these are all guesses, which is not good enough. I will be heading there in the next few days to check the price and be certain.

Sounds like it could be a simple (typical) failure to post the all the price tags.

Did you keep your receipt by chance?

Otherwise, next you are in Klang, you can have them scan the barcode to see what price is in the system for the flavors other than artichoke.

I will have my sales staff contact Klang Plaza and check stock levels as well, and if insufficient, request them to order more. Perhaps we can ask them to check pricing as well...

Thanks so much for your input, and looking forward to what you can confirm.

let's help ChefHeat understand buying pattern of the expat consumers here in Thailand.

How & why you buy pasta sauces:

1. Shop regularly - essential part of your food pantry

2. On impulse - when you feel like

3. Special occasion only - in-store promo, family & friends over for a meal, birthdays etc...

When you buy pasta sauces, you:

a. Stick to the same brand - loyalty

b. No firm favourite - switch and change whatever takes your fancy

c. buy the cheapest or discounted only - watch the penny

I'm a 1a, Sarge, but now hampered by my sauce of choice not being available in my supermarket of choice, Freshmart at The Mall. Chef, you need to get it in stock there.

My husband made a run to Klang Plaza 2 today to check the prices. It was indeed a signage issue. Perhaps somebody should explain to them that you don't post signs only showing the highest price? All the others were a perfectly respectable 79 baht each, with the Artichoke being 109. He was able to get four flavors, but no Traditional was on the shelf.

You know a couple years ago Klang was a less expensive place to shop than Freshmart. Now, just checking a few prices on things we buy regularly, it's more expensive. I guess it's due to the larger expat item volume at Freshmart.

let's help ChefHeat understand buying pattern of the expat consumers here in Thailand.

How & why you buy pasta sauces:

1. Shop regularly - essential part of your food pantry

2. On impulse - when you feel like

3. Special occasion only - in-store promo, family & friends over for a meal, birthdays etc...

When you buy pasta sauces, you:

a. Stick to the same brand - loyalty

b. No firm favourite - switch and change whatever takes your fancy

c. buy the cheapest or discounted only - watch the penny

That's an excellent idea, Sarge, on how to make good use this forum.

Perhaps I can get some ideas on how to better serve our customers.

I'd also like to add a few survey questions of my own.

How do you use the pasta sauce that you buy?

(please provide a precentage for each coice)

a. heat straight from the jar and serve over pasta

b. add a few ingredients to the sauce, then serve over pasta (such as wine, ground meat, meat balls, etc.)

c. use in recipes (stews, lasagna, chicken parmigiana, etc.)

What is your favorite non-pasta dish to make using pasta sauce?

What are the most common extra ingredients you might add to a bottled pasta sauce?

Has anyone tried the recipes on my website?

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions or requests?

I'm a 1a, Sarge, but now hampered by my sauce of choice not being available in my supermarket of choice, Freshmart at The Mall. Chef, you need to get it in stock there.

My husband made a run to Klang Plaza 2 today to check the prices. It was indeed a signage issue. Perhaps somebody should explain to them that you don't post signs only showing the highest price? All the others were a perfectly respectable 79 baht each, with the Artichoke being 109. He was able to get four flavors, but no Traditional was on the shelf.

You know a couple years ago Klang was a less expensive place to shop than Freshmart. Now, just checking a few prices on things we buy regularly, it's more expensive. I guess it's due to the larger expat item volume at Freshmart.

We did contact Klang and they should be placing an order Monday, I believe.

Will follow up with the price tag issue....

Thanks, Cathy, for your help. :o

yes, Cathy did a good job, she went out of her way to highlight the pricing problem, something that manufacturers would not know unless they employ a merchandising company, which can cost a pretty penny. They do a lot more beside. In an ideal world this job should be undertaken by retailers but they're too lazy and accustomed to rely on suppliers to provide the service (by employing a 3rd party company).

Cathy's actions exemplify what I keep saying to manufacturers and suppliers: your real customers ain't the retailers but the consumers. Talk to them, entice them, gain their trust, just think of supermarkets like a rented place where to exhibit, to promote your brand. You gotta get actively involved in selling your merchandise, have ongoing conversation with consumers, and not just dump your products at the retailer's warehouse and wait for the orders to come.

One thing that Kirk could to nurture this relationship is to set aside one day a month and spend it in a chosen retail outlets to in-store promote his products. He needs to advertise this on his website well in advance and also with direct mail to customers. It makes a hel_l of difference if consumers can see and talk directly to him when shopping.

b. add a few ingredients to the sauce, then serve over pasta (such as wine, ground meat, meat balls, etc.)

What are the most common extra ingredients you might add to a bottled pasta sauce?

To answer the survey questions from both posters.

Pasta sauce is an essential item for me, I go through a bottle or two per week.

I buy Nana sauce these days, unless I want cream or pesto, or if I'm at a store which doesn't stock Nana. Before they were around I just bought randomly based on price and what was available at the store.

I normally add something to the sauce, but not always. Cheese, ground beef/pork, chilli peppers, or mushrooms or olives (sometimes I want both), and then serve it over pasta.

I've used the sauce in non pasta roles by using it in sausage submarine sandwiches.

Haven't tried any recipes on the website, but just looked at it and there are a LOT of recipes there, so I will try some out.

Interresting, I will settup and sale 1 PastaBox in our Bangkok Pasta Pronto quick food restaurant with your Nana SAUCE; I will provide you customer feedbacks.

lets see , bye

Wow... sounds great. Thanks for giving us a test.

I might suggest for your test, that our most popular flavors, according to our sales, would be:

Traditional, Mushroom, and Amatriciana.

Thanks again.. and looking forward to the feedback.

yes, Cathy did a good job, she went out of her way to highlight the pricing problem, something that manufacturers would not know unless they employ a merchandising company, which can cost a pretty penny. They do a lot more beside. In an ideal world this job should be undertaken by retailers but they're too lazy and accustomed to rely on suppliers to provide the service (by employing a 3rd party company).

Cathy's actions exemplify what I keep saying to manufacturers and suppliers: your real customers ain't the retailers but the consumers. Talk to them, entice them, gain their trust, just think of supermarkets like a rented place where to exhibit, to promote your brand. You gotta get actively involved in selling your merchandise, have ongoing conversation with consumers, and not just dump your products at the retailer's warehouse and wait for the orders to come.

One thing that Kirk could to nurture this relationship is to set aside one day a month and spend it in a chosen retail outlets to in-store promote his products. He needs to advertise this on his website well in advance and also with direct mail to customers. It makes a hel_l of difference if consumers can see and talk directly to him when shopping.

I was telling my wife last night just about the same thing... how valuable a service Cathy has done for us. And how can we thank her enough?

Yes, we have intentions on doing in-store demos in Esaan area - it's just a matter of time... and my health plays a part as well - I have a really bad disk problem in my neck, and traveling over the crappy Thai roads really takes a toll. Anyway, we need to do demos in Esaan for sure...

I'll be certain to alert Cathy when I can get around to it, so I can meet her and thank her personally for all her help. Actually, Korat is the closest Esaan city to our location (Chainat)... so it will most liekly be the first on our "tour".

And you are right about me being there personally for demos... we had good results on all the demos I attended, customers seemed to really enjoy seeing who's behind the product - and I think that is even more important in Thailand, with all the "Thai flavored" pasta sauces out there. We did a few demos without me being there... and it just wasn't the same results... even in the same stores.

To answer the survey questions from both posters.

Pasta sauce is an essential item for me, I go through a bottle or two per week.

I buy Nana sauce these days, unless I want cream or pesto, or if I'm at a store which doesn't stock Nana. Before they were around I just bought randomly based on price and what was available at the store.

I normally add something to the sauce, but not always. Cheese, ground beef/pork, chilli peppers, or mushrooms or olives (sometimes I want both), and then serve it over pasta.

I've used the sauce in non pasta roles by using it in sausage submarine sandwiches.

Haven't tried any recipes on the website, but just looked at it and there are a LOT of recipes there, so I will try some out.

Thanks DP25 for taking the time to provide your answers.

Very interesting and helpful.

Chilli peppers...You like spicy, eh? Bravo. Me too!! :o

I was telling my wife last night just about the same thing... how valuable a service Cathy has done for us. And how can we thank her enough?

Yes, we have intentions on doing in-store demos in Esaan area

I'll be certain to alert Cathy when I can get around to it, so I can meet her and thank her personally for all her help. Actually, Korat is the closest Esaan city to our location (Chainat)... so it will most liekly be the first on our "tour".

And you are right about me being there personally for demos... we had good results on all the demos I attended, customers seemed to really enjoy seeing who's behind the product

yes, you should organize a demo boot at Klang Plaza

ladprao.jpg

.... and man it for the day and send an invitation to Cathy and her husband to thank them personally. There are a lot of expats living in Isaan and you should target their business. To leverage your message get a few kids meal recipes to convey the message that pasta sauce is healthy, nutritious meal to be shared at regular family meals, weekly. Parents may not buy a certain product for themselves but if you get their kids onboard, you got customers for life!

Aw, shucks, it wasn't anything.

My husband makes the most ghastly spaghetti imaginable by dumping the sauce directly from the jar onto the cooked pasta. He doesn't even heat it. And he likes to have this at least once a week. He grew up in a family that had spaghetti every Wednesday, I think he has said, but I'm sure his Mom heated up the sauce. I like my spaghetti with a bit of meat, or a good amount of cooked vegetables like carrots, peppers (capsicum!!), celery, whatever. We have a spaghetti impasse at my house. I don't like his, he doesn't like mine.

I use jarred spaghetti sauce to make my lasagne, a variant of chicken cacciatore, and I used to use it to make a variant of swiss steak back when I could buy cube steak in the US. I've used it as the liquid in the crockpot to cook a whole chicken along with root veggies.

I think I'll be checking your recipes for some more ideas.

All right, I've searched the whole Nana pasta site and still don't know how many grams of pasta for one 360 ml jar of sauce.

In answer to Sarge's suggested survey--I usually buy the cheapest sauce and expand on it, adding vegetables including mushrooms, garlic and fresh tomatoes, and meat--sometimes some tomato paste or canned tomatoes too. I would say I make a big batch on average once a month.

I will try the Nana sauce, however, as is to see how good it is. It might be a real timesaver for those days I have to work too hard.

it's good that more people chip in to give their feedback, in this way we give value to TV's sponsors. The more they reply the more info for ChefHeat, so he can refine products further to better suit customers' tastes. To answer Jimmyd's question, here a simple math calculation to help him (and others) with the right dosage:

SAUCE

- one jar of Nana Traditional sauce - 360g

- extra ingredients (olive oil, mushrooms, chicken etc...) - appx 90g

- Total 450g net weighted sauce

PASTA

- 200g of dry pasta (any shape); pasta will more than double (appx 2.25%) on average (depending on quality and water type) when cooked (fresh pasta has much lower growth)

- drizzle in some starched water, in the saucepan, when draining pasta in the colander (I recommend to use a tiny amount to better emulsify the sauce, it binds it tighter to the pasta surface)

- Total 450g of cooked pasta

The ideal ratio is 1:1 (pasta and sauce), this is a rough guide to pasta dosage and cooking. There are several other variables (i.e. using more vegetables = more liquid release in the sauce) to consider but those are only of concern to chefs cooking in commercial environments. Which is not the case here.

Anyway, none has yet commented on Nana's new labels, what's your opinion? is that an improvement? would you prefer different colours or text fonts etc.... Don't be shy, post your thoughts.

it's good that more people chip in to give their feedback, in this way we give value to TV's sponsors. The more they reply the more info for ChefHeat, so he can refine products further to better suit customers' tastes. To answer Jimmyd's question, here a simple math calculation to help him (and others) with the right dosage:

SAUCE

- one jar of Nana Traditional sauce - 360g

- extra ingredients (olive oil, mushrooms, chicken etc...) - appx 90g

- Total 450g net weighted sauce

PASTA

- 200g of dry pasta (any shape); pasta will more than double (appx 2.25%) on average (depending on quality and water type) when cooked (fresh pasta has much lower growth)

- drizzle in some starched water, in the saucepan, when draining pasta in the colander (I recommend to use a tiny amount to better emulsify the sauce, it binds it tighter to the pasta surface)

- Total 450g of cooked pasta

The ideal ratio is 1:1 (pasta and sauce), this is a rough guide to pasta dosage and cooking. There are several other variables (i.e. using more vegetables = more liquid release in the sauce) to consider but those are only of concern to chefs cooking in commercial environments. Which is not the case here.

Anyway, none has yet commented on Nana's new labels, what's your opinion? is that an improvement? would you prefer different colours or text fonts etc.... Don't be shy, post your thoughts.

Thanks, Jimmy, for alerting us to this opportunity to better serve our customers!!!

...and thanks, Sarge, for chipping in to help answer Jimmy's question.

I guess I need to put a blurb on our recipe page - at the top - suggesting a quantity of dried pasta per 360ml jar (with no additions - that would be exactly 160gm dried pasta). Myself, I usually use about 150 grams dried pasta as I like a lot of sauce -- if there is any left over sauce on my plate, I uncouthly soak it up with some garlic bread (as gouache as that may be :o )

As for the suggestion regarding adding a bit of the pasta boiling water... not sure if that is necessary with our sauce, as we tend to be a bit on the thick side, so it sticks quite well to the pasta on its own (by design).

Edit: I have updated our recipe page to include the above suggestion. Please take a look and comment.

Thanks.

Edited by ChefHeat

good to see that ChefHeat takes on board customers' concern and quickly act on it. Can't see him complaining now about not getting his money worth for the sponsorship.

In the view of all this info and feedback, perhaps TV should rise the ADV rates .... mmhhh let's say at least a 35% increase, minimum

I see that Cathy is after some recipe ideas, here something that I whipped up in the past. It may tickle her fancy

pasta_recipe.pdf

Edited by Sarge

Spent several days of last week in Bangkok, at the FDA, getting approval for labels on our four newest flavors. And, Sarge, you were right about the "tomato" in the label. Apparently, the word "tomato" on a tomato-based pasta sauce confused the bloody heck out them, so I had to take it out anyway in order to get everything passed without having to write a novel on the label !!

Attached are the labels that were approved.

I may have some leeway to rearrange graphics slightly, or take stuff out.

But cannot add anything or change the text.

So, I need you guys' help:

I must admit, the all'Ortolano arrangement of vegies is sort of itchy on my eyes.

But I tried other arrangements and it just looks worse.

Any suggestions for improvement? Or do you think it is OK as is?

How about the other flavors... ?

Thanks much.

post-62785-1229149495_thumb.jpg

post-62785-1229149520_thumb.jpg

post-62785-1229149546_thumb.jpg

post-62785-1229149566_thumb.jpg

where is the self appointed "food expert and food writer duo" when you really need them? :D

a couple of questions:

1. are these the final labels proof?

2. Have you actually ® trademarked Nana name?

..... and

a couple of observations:

1. I notice that you haven't really addressed the ingredients overcrowding

2. You really must do something about that Ricotta illustration :o

a couple of questions:

1. are these the final labels proof?

2. Have you actually ® trademarked Nana name?

1. Not quite...I have some flexibility.

2. Yes.

a couple of observations:

1. I notice that you haven't really addressed the ingredients overcrowding

2. You really must do something about that Ricotta illustration :o

1. I realize that with the all'Ortolano... but the others?

RE: all'Ortolano - Any specific suggestion? (like, "make the vegies smaller; take a "x" out, etc.)

FYI - The actual labels won't be much larger than the thumbnails

2. Any specific suggestion on how to represent the ricotta?

Its like when designing a movie poster, focus on the star of the show and list the extras below - also instead of showing all the ingridients in their raw state - a picture of a plate with the cooked item pasted over a larger picture of the main ingredient - you want to visually raise the possible buyers appetite, get his juices flowing - a raw pepper does not quite accomplish that, but a picture of a perfectly cooked and presented meal does

You are selling a finished sauce and not vegetables !

Example

post-30681-1229246060_thumb.png

did this one for a special I had at the Bistro

Edited by JohnBKKK

Its like when designing a movie poster, focus on the star of the show and list the extras below - also instead of showing all the ingridients in their raw state - a picture of a plate with the cooked item pasted over a larger picture of the main ingredient - you want to visually raise the possible buyers appetite, get his juices flowing - a raw pepper does not quite accomplish that, but a picture of a perfectly cooked and presented meal does

You are selling a finished sauce and not vegetables !

Example

post-30681-1229246060_thumb.png

did this one for a special I had at the Bistro

Thanks, John, for the feedback.

I did try that with old labels and didn't get stellar feedback on them. Of course, it could be the photos themselves and/or the background, but... I looked at the other leading Italian brands (Agnesi and Barilla) and they tend to show the raw ingredients. I figured they know well what they are doing and have experience much more than me, so....that's how I proceeded with this new style.

I am not trying to defend the style, just stating how I approached it.

I personally like the new style better than the old labels... but before I go to the proof stage would like to see other people's take, and so I thank you for your input.

I would also like know to other folks' opinions...