Is There A Pattaya Manicure/pedicure Place That Has Good Hygiene?

Jingthing

Probably a futile question, but here goes. Do you know of any local nail salon that uses western standards of sterilizing the equipment, including using an autoclave? I have seen some horrific things at local places and I don't think paying more money means you always get more hygiene either.

Here are the standards I am talking about

ebay guide

**Manicures & Pedicures : Being one of the most common beauty rituals can also be one of the most deadly!

When deciding on a nail salon make sure it is safe. Most people do not even realize that they can put their life in jeopardy everytime they get their nails are done. First when entering a salon ask if an autoclave is used to sterlize tools in between services. An autoclave is a hospital grade steam sterlizer like the one doctors and dentists use. Ask to see it. Is it clean itself.? Is it in a clean area away from trash and food? **If the answer is no take your business elsewhere**. Ask to see the bathroom. Is it clean? If not they are probably not consiencous about using their autoclave or don't even have one. **Just because an establishment has one doesn't mean they know how to safely use it.** How are their tools stored after a service? They should be in a closed container, soaking in some sort of sterilizing solution. A trick of some salons is to use windex instead. It is cheaper and looks like the commonly seen solutions. Ask to see a bottle and make sure it is to be used for sterilizing tools that come into contact with blood. How do they perform pedicures? Make sure there is a plasic liner in the tub for soaking that is brand new each time. This is the safest way to guard against any fungus or trasmittable diseases ( such as Hep C & HIV). Now you are ready to sit down for your service. Make sure you see the tools used for your manicure taken out of an autoclave pouch. Pouches are usually paper on one side and a see thru plastic on the other and commonly light blue in color. Ask to see the date of sterilization (written or stamped on the bag) it should not be more than 30 days ago. Then make sure they open the pouch in front of you so that you know the same tools you have seen are the ones being used on you. If they refuse to do this or make you feel uncomfortable about asking then they are not professional and you should take your business elsewhere.***Please do not be embarrassed that you are concerned with your own safety!!** Now you are ready to sit down and enjoy your pampering knowing that you are getting a truly professional and SAFE service !

Edited by Jingthing

I suppose so. I have thought this would be a good market niche for someone. Do the hygiene up to good western standards and advertise/differentiate that way and of course charge more, but still much less than the same service in the west. I think at the 150 baht pedicure level you could easily add 100 B.

As preventive measure, anyone who says I am being paranoid and should accept all risks living in Thailand, I hear what you are saying, but i would appreciate a choice where we could pay more and get better health measures. I know my dentist charges me a sterilization charge which I am happy to pay, just hope they actually do what they say.

My solution lately has been to cut my own nails, and they don't look so hot. Its nice in this tropical environment where most people wear open shoes alot to have pedicures.

Another local nail pet peeve. Thais tend to remove the cuticles! You have to tell them not to if you don't want that, they won't usually even ask, just do it. This is very unhealthy and also an invitation to infections.

Edited by Jingthing

Do guys really get pedicures? I appreciate that if you are old and can't do it for yourself, foot care is important but, jeez, this metrosexual craze its sumthin.

I didn't in the US but as I wear sandals all the time, a pro can do this much better than I can. I see it as just a way to be polite in Thailand and not have gross looking feet. Nothing to do with metrosexuality. I see men of many nationalities getting pedicures in Pattaya, even rough looking Russians and Middle Easterners.

Do guys really get pedicures? I appreciate that if you are old and can't do it for yourself, foot care is important but, jeez, this metrosexual craze its sumthin.

What a dumb question. Of course guys get pedicures...in Asia...all the time. Especially if it costs 150 baht.

I haven't cut my own toenails for 5 years.

Try cutting out ingrown toenails by yourself.

Probably a futile question, but here goes. Do you know of any local nail salon that uses western standards of sterilizing the equipment, including using an autoclave? I have seen some horrific things at local places and I don't think paying more money means you always get more hygiene either.

Here are the standards I am talking about

The easy solution is just to bring your own personal nail kit to the salon.

I get a pedicure & manicure every time I go to pattaya & it seems to be the norm for me & I'n not a yank. I must admit though there are a couple of places where I sat down , looked at the tools etc & got up & left. The one consistent place I found fairly hygenical is the small place on the end of walking street near the Siam Bayshore , sorry don't know the name it is a few doors down from Rasputins in the next block just after the Menswear shop. The girls change a lot but 'Mama San still is there on a daily basis & watches.

I know that a few acquaintenances of mine on R&R from Iraq always head there since I told them about it because one of them had a bad experience at a joint in Bangkok & needed fungicidal treatment for some time. (Not pleasant in the Desert)

:o

Would it be impolite to spray their work tools with your disinfectant? Afterall, it's your body and you suffer the consequences of poor hygiene.

I don't know if impolite is the word, but they might think you think/worry too much. Based on what I have read, that treatment is better than nothing but hardly top grade sterilization.

Try the salon on the 2nd floor of Carrefour....It is called L'oreal and all the services there are top notch....not cheap though...it is located right next to the main entrance to the supermarket

I have noticed that place. Very frou frou. But I wonder specifically why you recommend them beyond mere appearances. Just being in a high rent location doesn't mean they follow scientific hygiene standards, but I am sure they probably don't use a soiled towel to wipe the tools as I witnessed once in a downscale place.

Just being in a high rent location doesn't mean they follow scientific hygiene standards, but I am sure they probably don't use a soiled towel to wipe the tools as I witnessed once in a downscale place.

That's a good salon for hairdressing, but I don't think they would be too careful about what they wipe their equipment with when the job is done. That's done in the back away from customers' view.

Yes, it would take special training and a special policy to practice modern hygiene methods and I think the awareness of this issue is very low in Thailand even in the frou frou salons. For dentists, you see them advertising all the time about their hygiene policies, but have yet to see it for man/ped places. Again, I think this is a good niche idea for an entrepreneur, even the potential of a major chain. Its a classic value added/differentiator proposition which justifies higher charges.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with the hygiene worries of Jing-Ting

However like the vast majority of ex-pats in Thailand my girlfriend does my toe and finger nails. I would say confidently that the vast majority of Thai women and even Thai ladymen, are skilled at toe and finger nail duties.

If your partner is a bloke, I'm not so sure, unless he is the 'lady-like one'.

Anyway, I suggest a decent place; like that Japanese named place; in Royal Garden Mall one floor up, on the same side as Bookazine, where they have close circuit TV cameras, showing passer-bys whats going on. Everything is available there at a price, facials included and sterilized gear to boot.

. I would say confidently that the vast majority of Thai women and even Thai ladymen, are skilled at toe and finger nail duties.

I would say confidently that the vast majority of Thai women are not skilled at toe and finger nail duties. Even the ones you pay in the salons will do a lousy job more often than not. When I first came here it took a long time to find one who knows what she is doing.

Edited by tropo

. I would say confidently that the vast majority of Thai women and even Thai ladymen, are skilled at toe and finger nail duties.

I would say confidently that the vast majority of Thai women are not skilled at toe and finger nail duties. Even the ones you pay in the salons will do a lousy job more often than not. When I first came here it took a long time to find one who knows what she is doing.

There is a very good place at The Avenue called Nail Studio 20 - 2 or 3rd Floor - they have all the equipment and hygienge is excellent - not cheap - combination manicure/pedicure is 1000baht.

After reading all your comments I would strongly recommend that you go and and buy all the necessary tools for mani/pedi....not too expensive....and then take them with you to the salon of your choice every time you go. This way you need not worry about the cleanliness of their tools. This is a very common practice in the US

After reading all your comments I would strongly recommend that you go and and buy all the necessary tools for mani/pedi....not too expensive....and then take them with you to the salon of your choice every time you go. This way you need not worry about the cleanliness of their tools. This is a very common practice in the US

That's a good idea. BTW, I would never pay 1000 baht for nail cutting in Thailand, unless they were serving beluga caviar and good champagne as part of the package. Actually, I think I would like that service, with the caviar and champagne, now that's pampering ...

Edited by Jingthing

That's a good idea. BTW, I would never pay 1000 baht for nail cutting in Thailand, unless they were serving beluga caviar and good champagne as part of the package. Actually, I think I would like that service, with the caviar and champagne, now that's pampering ...

A sterile service with autoclaves etc would have to go for at least 1000 baht. The whole idea is a non-starter.

A sterile service with autoclaves etc would have to go for at least 1000 baht. The whole idea is a non-starter.

I haven't priced autoclaves recently so I will take your word for it!

Hmmm. OK. I just did find one for under 1000 US dollars. If you only needed one per shop and you charged 100 baht per use x 30 in a day thats 3000 baht a day, thats over a million baht annually just for sterilization charge.

The idea is also that the value added of having sterilization would potentially attract a much higher volume of business than your run of the mill place. There must be hundreds of these places in town, and the only difference you can tell by appearances is that some look frou frou and some look plain. No compelling reason for a customer to choose one place over another.

Edited by Jingthing