Mau Tours - Police Finally Acting

KevinHunt

I drove past the shop on Sunday. The doors were still open and it appeared that it was business as usual. Are you sure?

Yes, looks like the doors are open again.

However the sign " for rent and sale" is still there.

T.I.T. something for T.A.T.

Common practice for cheats like Mau is to make people think they have collapsed or closed in order to take the wind from the sails of people chasing them for their money. I wouldn't take the for sale sign too seriously. The only way this company can continue to operate is if it has police protection or ownership.

100% The police is involved!!!

Bring in that superglue!! I'll keep a lookout (and drive the getaway bike) if yooo dooo the glooo!

This has been going on tooooo long!!

Be sure to remove the number plate from the bike first :D

A lot of people assume that they're paying off the police whereas the police are unable to act. They have commited a civil crime so the only re-course is to take them to court. Everyone knows how futile that is. The TAT and Police are fully aware of this company but are unable to do anything except advise people to get a lawyer. They made front page of Chiangmai News (Thai language daily)  recently being arrested but presumably bailed themselves out.

If enough people get together (10, I think) they are considered to be fraudsters and can be arrested but would probably still be able to get out on bail. The TAT have been contacted by a few people that were scammed so maybe they can help getting the numbers up.

I know personally of two people losing money in the last month or so . Last night a friend told me how he lost 70,000 baht and so far has got 30,000 back by persistently visiting and demanding money. He has heard that they are 10 million in debt and have a long line of debtors. He is considering getting the debt-collectors in for the remaining amount - with a 30:70 split.. He loses 30% but the likelihood is that he gets nothing more back.

I hear that debt collectors can be very persuasive - they  have fine-tuned the art of negotiaton over many years and so are probably better at it than most. :D

I heard that they have now lost their TAT licence and, understandably, most staff have left. Who would want to spend the day dealing with very irate customers? :o

There are two threads on these scamsters maybe they should be joined.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read the headline in the newspaper as well! I am also affected by this company as they sold me an unvalid ticket a few months ago. I went to the police many times, but they didn't seem to be too interested in the case.

I am looking for people who also have a problem with Mau tours (MTS), because my friend who is a lawyer in Chiang Mai told me that if we could join together, it will be much easier to go to court, and to be successfull there (I heard that they have been arrested long time ago already, and nothing happened).

I have been cheated out of more than 400,000 baht through defaulted loans to these two thieves. Since email addresses are prohibited here, how do we contact each other?

You can send a personal mesage to other members. See other Mau Tours thread too.

I read the headline in the newspaper as well! I am also affected by this company as they sold me an unvalid ticket a few months ago. I went to the police many times, but they didn't seem to be too interested in the case.

I am looking for people who also have a problem with Mau tours (MTS), because my friend who is a lawyer in Chiang Mai told me that if we could join together, it will be much easier to go to court, and to be successfull there (I heard that they have been arrested long time ago already, and nothing happened).

I have been cheated out of more than 400,000 baht through defaulted loans to these two thieves. Since email addresses are prohibited here, how do we contact each other?

You can send a personal mesage to other members. See other Mau Tours thread too.

How does someone send a personal message to another member?

I drove past the shop on Sunday. The doors were still open and it appeared that it was business as usual. Are you sure?

Common practice for cheats like Mau is to make people think they have collapsed or closed in order to take the wind from the sails of people chasing them for their money. I wouldn't take the for sale sign too seriously. The only way this company can continue to operate is if it has police protection or ownership.

Bring in that superglue!! I'll keep a lookout (and drive the getaway bike) if yooo dooo the glooo!

A lot of people assume that they're paying off the police whereas the police are unable to act. They have commited a civil crime so the only re-course is to take them to court. Everyone knows how futile that is. The TAT and Police are fully aware of this company but are unable to do anything except advise people to get a lawyer. They made front page of Chiangmai News (Thai language daily) recently being arrested but presumably bailed themselves out.

If enough people get together (10, I think) they are considered to be fraudsters and can be arrested but would probably still be able to get out on bail. The TAT have been contacted by a few people that were scammed so maybe they can help getting the numbers up.

I know personally of two people losing money in the last month or so . Last night a friend told me how he lost 70,000 baht and so far has got 30,000 back by persistently visiting and demanding money. He has heard that they are 10 million in debt and have a long line of debtors. He is considering getting the debt-collectors in for the remaining amount - with a 30:70 split.. He loses 30% but the likelihood is that he gets nothing more back.

I hear that debt collectors can be very persuasive - they have fine-tuned the art of negotiaton over many years and so are probably better at it than most. :D

I heard that they have now lost their TAT licence and, understandably, most staff have left. Who would want to spend the day dealing with very irate customers? :o

They scammed me for more than 400,000 baht. How does someone find a "debt collector" in chiang mai?

How does someone send a personal message to another member?

If you place the mouse over user name or Avatar - 'Send Message' should be on drop-down options.

A lot of people assume that they're paying off the police whereas the police are unable to act. They have commited a civil crime so the only re-course is to take them to court. Everyone knows how futile that is. The TAT and Police are fully aware of this company but are unable to do anything except advise people to get a lawyer. They made front page of Chiangmai News (Thai language daily) recently being arrested but presumably bailed themselves out.

I hear that debt collectors can be very persuasive - they have fine-tuned the art of negotiaton over many years and so are probably better at it than most. :D

They scammed me for more than 400,000 baht. How does someone find a "debt collector" in chiang mai?

Pay the police more then they do!!!

Go to straight the police:

Central Police Station 169 Ratchadamnoen Road, T Phrasing, A Muang, Chiang Mai 50200. Tel: 053 276485, 053 276040, 053 814313.

They have more than 30 cases and are going to make it to one big case.

TAT knows the problem of Mau tour. They send us to Chiang mai land to the office that make license to travel agencies.

In Chiang mai land they can only help with packet tours so the send you to the tourist police.

The tourist police can not do any investigation so the send you to the local police.

All places you only need to says mau tour and they just need to ask what is the amount in your case.

Central Police Station 169 Ratchadamnoen Road, T Phrasing, A Muang, Chiang Mai 50200. Tel: 053 276485, 053 276040, 053 814313.

TAT knows the problem of Mau tour. They send us to Chiang mai land to the office that make license to travel agencies.

In Chiang mai land they can only help with packet tours so the send you to the tourist police.

The tourist police can not do any investigation so the send you to the local police.

All places you only need to says mau tour and they just need to ask what is the amount in your case.

The Police will not do anything thing. they had plenty of time to stop these people.

For more then half a year this scam is going on..

Large amounts of money we are talking... the police is for sure involved...

[/size]

The Police will not do anything thing. they had plenty of time to stop these people.

What do you know to make such a claim? Do you have some information that we don't? 

[/size]

What do you know to make such a claim? Do you have some information that we don't? 

Cheques not honoured - a sure fire criminal case for anyone else in this country

Receiving money for a product they don't deliver (many many times) - theft

The police's reputation for corruption

I was cheated by OP Travel in Tha Pae Gate back in around 2000 in a very similar manner. When I made a complaint to the police, they offered to show me the owner who was already residing in the 'monkey house'.

...also for me it seems sure fire the police are involved

[/size]

Just try to set up a similar kind of business and see how long it takes before you are arrested and closed!!!

[/size]

Just try to set up a similar kind of business and see how long it takes before you are arrested and closed!!!

I don’t know it looks like police are involved but it could be a case of yet another inept police department… I mean its not like the police in Bangkok are very capable, they couldn’t even get the airports back.

• 3 months later...
My wife told me a few days ago that MAU tours on Charoenprathet Rd are finally being charged by the police. The story made front page of Chiang Mai News ( Thai newspaper) a few days ago. Many complaints over a few years about them not paying the airlines for tickets that they issued and customers paid for, have finally been acted on. People on this forum questioned how they were still in business and why nobody acted.

Apparently the problem was that the individuals that were victims of this company had to file individual complaints but it seems that now that the police have more than 10 complaints they can charge them with a Criminal offence whereas they were previously only liable to civil cases that can take years to resolve and are not easily completed when the victims live abroad.

They feature on Lonely Planet on-line as a company to avoid and some people have written of bad experiences on this forum. It's a pity that they got away with it for so long. I have never dealt with them but I have heard of their bad reputation.

My wife told me a few days ago that MAU tours on Charoenprathet Rd are finally being charged by the police. The story made front page of Chiang Mai News ( Thai newspaper) a few days ago. Many complaints over a few years about them not paying the airlines for tickets that they issued and customers paid for, have finally been acted on. People on this forum questioned how they were still in business and why nobody acted.

Apparently the problem was that the individuals that were victims of this company had to file individual complaints but it seems that now that the police have more than 10 complaints they can charge them with a Criminal offence whereas they were previously only liable to civil cases that can take years to resolve and are not easily completed when the victims live abroad.

They feature on Lonely Planet on-line as a company to avoid and some people have written of bad experiences on this forum. It's a pity that they got away with it for so long. I have never dealt with them but I have heard of their bad reputation.

So any news?

• 2 months later...

Am probably a day late and many baht short, but I'm curious if anyone has any up to date information about Mau Tours: Are they still operating? Did they change their name to Global Trek? Is there any kind of legal case being made? Are these criminals still at large?

Also, I cannot find the other thread under Chiang Mai/Warnings- it doesn't come up in any searches of ThaiVisa, and tho this thread has a post saying the threads have been combined, it doesn't appear anywhere that I can find. It included useful information and would be helpful to anyone looking into the history of this problem.

I will also say that I was scammed by these folks, but was able to recoup the balance of the money owed by using a debt collector. If anyone would like his contact details, just contact me thru this forum.

Your readers should know that both TAT and the Tourist Police are powerless and a waste of time in this situation. And not speaking adequate Thai, we found the regular Police to be unhelpful as well. Mau Tours knew this and took advantage of the situation. I seriously doubt that it would be any problem to find ten victims of theirs: the Tourist Police had a thick file on them full of complaints. Maybe someone reading these threads will know more about the current disposition of this problem, and can share some facts with us all.

• 3 months later...
Heads up! Just saw a sign that Mau Tour is relocating under a different name close to Wat Phra Singh under the name "Globe Trek Thailand"

Buyer beware!

See photo for details.

Good to know.... I still have to get my ticket or money from 2 years ago..

will go there and ask when they finally pay..

I would warn anyone about the risks of using any so called travel/tour agencies in Thailand for the purchasing of airline tickets.

A week ago I decided to visit Pattaya from Chiang Mai, hoping to fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and than catch a bus from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Friends suggested that I purchase the plane tickets from an agent rather than directly from the airline, as I was told that purchasing directly from the airline would cost more.

So I visited several travel/tour agency shops in Chiang Mai to purchase a return air ticket from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, returning 6 days later.

I was astounded by the huge variations in prices, ranging from 3800 baht the lowest up to 5600 baht all for the same airlines and flights. Something told me that this cannot be right and not to trust them, so against the advice of my friends I decided to call at Chiang Mai airport and enquire at the airline offices.

Eventually after enquiring with several different airlines, Thai International offered a return flight for 2800 baht as a promotion. The next day I purchased the ticket at the Thai International desk in the airport. I was given an e-ticket, but I think this pertains to all airlines now. It meant that not only were the agents not passing on the promotion to me, but also charging extra amounts on top and who knows whether these tickets where bona fide or not.

The bus journey from Bangkok to Pattaya that included a mini bus to my hotel cost 200 baht one way. At the hotel where I was staying in Pattaya, is a travel agent that wanted to charge 560 baht for the same trip and Bus Company. When I questioned this, the lady said, that if I book through her agency, that is the price. In the end I got my wife to book the bus by phone. Had no problems.

So beware when using any travel/tour agency in Thailand. Probably best to book directly with the flight, bus or taxi company it`s self.

Edited by sassienie

I would warn anyone about the risks of using any so called travel/tour agencies in Thailand for the purchasing of airline tickets.

A week ago I decided to visit Pattaya from Chiang Mai, hoping to fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and than catch a bus from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Friends suggested that I purchase the plane tickets from an agent rather than directly from the airline, as I was told that purchasing directly from the airline would cost more.

So I visited several travel/tour agency shops in Chiang Mai to purchase a return air ticket from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, returning 6 days later.

I was astounded by the huge variations in prices, ranging from 3800 baht the lowest up to 5600 baht all for the same airlines and flights. Something told me that this cannot be right and not to trust them, so against the advice of my friends I decided to call at Chiang Mai airport and enquire at the airline offices.

Eventually after enquiring with several different airlines, Thai International offered a return flight for 2800 baht as a promotion. The next day I purchased the ticket at the Thai International desk in the airport. I was given an e-ticket, but I think this pertains to all airlines now. It meant that not only were the agents not passing on the promotion to me, but also charging extra amounts on top and who knows whether these tickets where bona fide or not.

The bus journey from Bangkok to Pattaya that included a mini bus to my hotel cost 200 baht one way. At the hotel where I was staying in Pattaya, is a travel agent that wanted to charge 560 baht for the same trip and Bus Company. When I questioned this, the lady said, that if I book through her agency, that is the price. In the end I got my wife to book the bus by phone. Had no problems.

So beware when using any travel/tour agency in Thailand. Probably best to book directly with the flight, bus or taxi company it`s self.

This is hardly rocket science. It has been cheaper, safer and easier to book direct with airlines for a number of years now. Travel agents are still usefull, and earn their 'cut', when you are trying to book a multiple or difficult route, or do not have access to a phone or the internet.

Iain

This is hardly rocket science. It has been cheaper, safer and easier to book direct with airlines for a number of years now. Travel agents are still usefull, and earn their 'cut', when you are trying to book a multiple or difficult route, or do not have access to a phone or the internet.

Iain

Not true if i book my ticket to Europe direct at the Airline compagnie I pay more then at a travel agency..

Iain

Not true if i book my ticket to Europe direct at the Airline compagnie I pay more then at a travel agency..

If you have found a reputable travel agent, can you give us it`s name and location? Maybe travelling to England over Christmas and would be interested in finding an agent that can be trusted and offers fair deals.

Edited by sassienie

Iain

If you have found a reputable travel agent, can you give us it`s name and location? Maybe travelling to England over Christmas and would be interested in finding an agent that can be trusted and offers fair deals.

How about if you use Expedia or Kayak or the like online? I should have been more specific sorry.

Iain

Look at the date of the first post. It is 1 year and the police is still NOT ACTING. I lost 65.000 Baht with her (I had to buy a new expensive ticket at the airport in Europe coz I could not return and was blocked at the airport from 08.00 in the morning untill 21.00 in the evening) and went to the police in CM. They told me they could do nothing and were absolutely not interested in my case. I went to the lady from Mau tours and she called a high ranked police officer while I was with her. She told me he was a close friend......

She is still in business behind Wat Prasing (where the reds are camping all time). All her tickets go over the big travel agency on ChiangMoi road for more than 3 years now. They know very well there what is going on but refuse to stop accepting and later modifying the tickets from Mau tours (and others). The owner of this travel agency is a Sikh and has a big gun shop next to his travel agency. He knows all police men in Chiang Mai very well................................. and so on and so on............. This lady generates a lot of money for some people, on a day by day base. This is LOS (land of scams).

Iain

Hi,

I always use Goodmans travel at the start of Thapai road (just before Nawarat Bridge coming outta town) they have always given me a good price and passed on any promotions. (i'm travelling to the UK tomorrrow and got the special thai airways deal to Bangkok)

PS

i checked on t'internet first and they beat all the prices i had by a couple of thousand baht

It really is amazing that people are still being thrown in the klink for smoking ganja while these <deleted> have been walking around free to rob more customers for years now. :)

Yes but if you know the police or if you are the police you can do what ever you like...

I even called in the special fraud team from Bkk when I had my Mau problem.. they refused to come..

Funny that if you steal a t shirt you get 6 month's in prison.. but if you rip of farangs for years.. you are able to do it again at a new location..