Mau Tours - Police Finally Acting

KevinHunt

My wife told me a few days ago that MAU tours on Charoenprathet Rd are finally being charged by the police. The story made front page of Chiang Mai News ( Thai newspaper) a few days ago.  Many complaints over a few years about them not paying the airlines for tickets that they issued and customers paid for, have finally been acted on. People on this forum questioned how they were still in business and why nobody acted.

Apparently the problem was that the individuals that were victims of this company had to file individual complaints but it seems that now that the police have more than 10 complaints they can charge them with a Criminal offence whereas they were previously only liable to civil cases that can take years to resolve and are not easily completed when the victims live abroad.

They feature on Lonely Planet on-line as a company to avoid and some people have written of bad experiences on this forum. It's a pity that they got away with it for so long.  I have never dealt with them but I have heard of their bad reputation.

Edited by KevinHUNT

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read the headline in the newspaper as well! I am also affected by this company as they sold me an unvalid ticket a few months ago. I went to the police many times, but they didn't seem to be too interested in the case.

I am looking for people who also have a problem with Mau tours (MTS), because my friend who is a lawyer in Chiang Mai told me that if we could join together, it will be much easier to go to court, and to be successfull there (I heard that they have been arrested long time ago already, and nothing happened).

Edited by CTH33

I read the headline in the newspaper as well! I am also affected by this company as they sold me an unvalid ticket a few months ago. I went to the police many times, but they didn't seem to be too interested in the case.

I am looking for people who also have a problem with MAU-tours, because my friend who is a lawyer in Chiang Mai told me that if we could join together, it will be much easier to go to court, and to be successfull there (I heard that they have been arrested long time ago already, and nothing happened).

Apparently they are still in business because they have not had any complaints about the tour side of the business so their licence cannot be revoked . The ticket business is separate. It seems that the police have got the required number of people to bring a joint case so presumably they have a criminal case against them. By all accounts that's what they are - criminals, and they've been getting away with it for years. I haven't had a problem but I did hear about them ripping off a nice old boy that I know - a guy in his seventies. Shame on them - they must have very black hearts.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Chiang Mai News - Mau Tour

Here's the link again, I posted it in the "warning" section a couple of days ago.

In the article it said approx. 20 others wanted to file charges. I heard they arrested the wife and she was released on bail.

As I understood it they had their license taken and their office is now closed.

I also heard that they owe quite a few Thais money, as well as some hotels.

about time too i was scammed by them. on ticket from chaing mai,to bkk and i was worried sick about my international flight but luckily it was okay. must admit did get my ticket money back, when i visited shop on my return to chaing mai. feel sorry for people if there only going one way and it happens though scary.

My wife told me a few days ago that MAU tours on Charoenprathet Rd are finally being charged by the police. The story made front page of Chiang Mai News ( Thai newspaper) a few days ago. Many complaints over a few years about them not paying the airlines for tickets that they issued and customers paid for, have finally been acted on. People on this forum questioned how they were still in business and why nobody acted.

Apparently the problem was that the individuals that were victims of this company had to file individual complaints but it seems that now that the police have more than 10 complaints they can charge them with a Criminal offence whereas they were previously only liable to civil cases that can take years to resolve and are not easily completed when the victims live abroad.

They feature on Lonely Planet on-line as a company to avoid and some people have written of bad experiences on this forum. It's a pity that they got away with it for so long. I have never dealt with them but I have heard of their bad reputation.

This is good news! I have been waiting for this for a long time.

They still owe me a ticket or money, but they kept me on a string for a long time,

I hope they can do some time now.

Does anybody know if they are really closed, or are they still in bussines with their tour agency?

Being a cynic I hope it's not like the police chief in Pai who told the world the pai policemen accused of shooting a tourist was charged with murder and then the DSI discovered it was a lie and he hadn't actually been charged. This is a common way for the police to 'help' criminals who contribute to their 'benevolent' fund by taking away the reason for people to complain. Let's hope it's true but I've been here a while and understand TIT very well. Everyone should keep the pressure on. If their ugly heads pop up under another guise in the city, let the people know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received the following message in a Chiangmai newsletter I subscribe to. It is self explanatory and may be of help to someone, as I know a few people have voiced concerns over dealing with this company. :o

Mau Tours - would anyone who is owed money by Mau Tours please contact me with a view to taking group action. My lawyer advised that this might be successful than working alone. 0878136421 (10/31)

I am glad to see that someone is finally doing something. Frankly, I don't understand why most of the people who were cheated decided to do nothing.

Not only does that allow people like Mau tour to continue operating but it opens the door for even more people to be scammed. I applaud the effort of those who are taking action.

I am glad to see that someone is finally doing something. Frankly, I don't understand why most of the people who were cheated decided to do nothing.

Not only does that allow people like Mau tour to continue operating but it opens the door for even more people to be scammed. I applaud the effort of those who are taking action.

My thoughts as well. If the police don't anything and confrontation hasn't worked, at the very least I would superglue their door locks every night. It would make me feel so much better.

QUOTED IN Lonely Planet

This travel agency, located conveniently on Charoenprathet Rd. in Chiang Mai, is scamming tourists and locals by selling airline tickets, taking customer's money, and then not buying the ticket- they say the ticket they provide is an "e-ticket" when it is just a piece of paper, or they say the ticket will be at the airport counter. They have even, on one occasion provided tickets to Bangkok and then not bought the tickets for the rest of the trip and left people stranded part way into their trip, far from Chiang Mai. They do not pay the money back when customers return to complain, and they lie about all aspects of the transaction. Sordid details are available on Thaivisa.com's Chiang Mai Forum/Warning thread. The Tourist Police have a file an inch thick on them, but admit that they have no authority to do anything about the situation. This is a very sad situation for tourism in Chiang Mai and does not reflect the general attitude- it is just one unethical company.

Clear warning to all.

I heard about Mau tours a while ago , it shocked me in the way they operate .

I already purchased a double return ticket to my home country together with tickets

back to Chiang Mai .

Landing on the airport ( back in Thailand ), I had to buy a new ticket to CM , cause as stated by another member ,

it wasn't payed for , I did go back( to Mau) and surprisingly they did give back the money and apologised . :D

Guess taking many awful stories in consideration , I was very lucky .

Occasionally they still telephone me , for some kind of promotion , no thanks .

When I drive by sometimes , I still see them have customers .........

I think it is a very good and brave initiative from the person who took

a lawyer to let them pay for their practises :o

Anyway , I'm very sure its common practise how they operate , I found it out myself , which gave

me much inconvenience at the time , makes me think what other customers of them must have gone through when they

for example bought a trip to India and got stranded there ...... ( Mau hua ) :D

I drove past the shop on Sunday. The doors were still open and it appeared that it was business as usual. Are you sure?

Yes, looks like the doors are open again.

However the sign " for rent and sale" is still there.

T.I.T. something for T.A.T.

Common practice for cheats like Mau is to make people think they have collapsed or closed in order to take the wind from the sails of people chasing them for their money. I wouldn't take the for sale sign too seriously. The only way this company can continue to operate is if it has police protection or ownership.

I drove past the shop on Sunday. The doors were still open and it appeared that it was business as usual. Are you sure?

Common practice for cheats like Mau is to make people think they have collapsed or closed in order to take the wind from the sails of people chasing them for their money. I wouldn't take the for sale sign too seriously. The only way this company can continue to operate is if it has police protection or ownership.

100% The police is involved!!!

Bring in that superglue!! I'll keep a lookout (and drive the getaway bike) if yooo dooo the glooo!

This has been going on tooooo long!!

Bring in that superglue!! I'll keep a lookout (and drive the getaway bike) if yooo dooo the glooo!

I would address all future complaints about this company to the National Counter Corruption organisation in Bangkok.

Was booking my ticket to holland the other day at Goodman travel and notice a Mau business card and a whole page of reservation requests and immediatley asked the girl if they were associated with Mau in any way she said that they had asked them to book about 20 tickets for them, so I immediately told her there rap and she said she was aware and that she had told them she would only book if they paid cash up front

I guess they are at the point where they can no longer do a booking themselves and are now soliciting other unwary travel agents to do it for them.

Be sure to remove the number plate from the bike first :o

Be sure to remove the number plate from the bike first :D

A lot of people assume that they're paying off the police whereas the police are unable to act. They have commited a civil crime so the only re-course is to take them to court. Everyone knows how futile that is. The TAT and Police are fully aware of this company but are unable to do anything except advise people to get a lawyer. They made front page of Chiangmai News (Thai language daily)  recently being arrested but presumably bailed themselves out.

If enough people get together (10, I think) they are considered to be fraudsters and can be arrested but would probably still be able to get out on bail. The TAT have been contacted by a few people that were scammed so maybe they can help getting the numbers up.

I know personally of two people losing money in the last month or so . Last night a friend told me how he lost 70,000 baht and so far has got 30,000 back by persistently visiting and demanding money. He has heard that they are 10 million in debt and have a long line of debtors. He is considering getting the debt-collectors in for the remaining amount - with a 30:70 split.. He loses 30% but the likelihood is that he gets nothing more back.

I hear that debt collectors can be very persuasive - they  have fine-tuned the art of negotiaton over many years and so are probably better at it than most. :D

I heard that they have now lost their TAT licence and, understandably, most staff have left. Who would want to spend the day dealing with very irate customers? :o

I am looking for people who also have a problem with Mau tours (MTS), because my friend who is a lawyer in Chiang Mai told me that if we could join together, it will be much easier to go to court, and to be successfull there (I heard that they have been arrested long time ago already, and nothing happened).

I have been cheated out of more than 400,000 baht through defaulted loans to these two thieves. Since email addresses are prohibited here, how do we contact each other?