Thailand To Barter Rice For Iran's Oil.

ding

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c47190fe-a452-11...?nclick_check=1

I hope LOS doesn't get on Uncle Sam's S-list!

Thailand on Monday said it planned to barter rice for oil with Iran in the clearest example to date of how the triple financial, fuel and food crisis is reshaping global trade as countries struggle with high commodity prices and a lack of credit.

The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organisation said such government-to-government bartering – a system of trade not used for decades – was likely to become more common as the private sector was finding it hard to access credit for food imports.

Iran is going to great lengths to avoid the US dollar.

This is hardly new, countries like Thailand have for years used commodities as an offset to cash for trade deals involving goods and raw materials. It provides an outlet for their producers whilst protecting foreign currency reserves.

As for Iran avoiding dollars, well maybe yes on the surface but the Iranians are basically pragmatic businessmen who'd deal with the devil (aka the great satan) if it suits them.

Didn't we do the same kind of deal with Sweden or Russia for military jets? Perhaps it was fire trucks?

I believe it was chickens for military jets, will be awful lot of chickens for just one jet :o

What else do we have of value? Oh yes rubbers, we can trade them for steel from Korea or Japan :D

I don't like the Iran government and the Thai government seems hardly to exist, but I do know the Iranian people like rice and Thai people need oil so I don't see how this is anything but a good thing. Are some Americans offended that some countries are avoiding trading with dollars? Why is this anyone's business but the parties involved?

Edited by Jingthing

I don't like the Iran government and the Thai government seems hardly to exist, but I do know the Iranian people like rice and Thai people need oil so I don't see how this is anything but a good thing. Are some Americans offended that some countries are avoiding trading with dollars? Why is this anyone's business but the parties involved?

I am not American and I AM OFFENDED , the next time any one holds out their hand to you for a dollar so they can eat , please tell them to ask Iran , they are the new providers . You do not concur with my thoughts ? Then realy give it some serious thought , Iran are the next contenders for the throne in nuclier armaments , can you imagine that dimented a/hole with an atom bomb ? Bye-Bye world , and you live in this world ,. but not for long if you encourage this egotistical maniac .

I am not American and I AM OFFENDED , the next time any one holds out their hand to you for a dollar so they can eat , please tell them to ask Iran , they are the new providers . You do not concur with my thoughts ? Then realy give it some serious thought , Iran are the next contenders for the throne in nuclier armaments , can you imagine that dimented a/hole with an atom bomb ? Bye-Bye world , and you live in this world ,. but not for long if you encourage this egotistical maniac .

no need to worry, by next week the demented a/hole will have been voted out, and replaced with another.

Excuse me, but I have known Iranian people as personal friends. They are just people and they aren't all fundamentalists or even Muslims. And rice is a key staple of their wonderful cuisine, one of my favorites. I don't get what this has to do with nuclear weapons. I agree their government is not responsible enough to have them, but I think their people can handle the rice and I don't think you can use rice to make WMDs, do you? Maybe you mean the only way we can force their government to moderate is to starve their people. It seems to me that would make the people more supportive of their bad government and to demonize foreigners even more.

Edited by Jingthing

LOL, we aren't talking about trading in weapons and I am sure it violates no sanctions to trade rice for oil.

Some people just can't think clearly!

Personally I see this as a VERY good thing.

Edited by jdinasia

Excuse me, but I have known Iranian people as personal friends. They are just people and they aren't all fundamentalists or even Muslims. And rice is a key staple of their wonderful cuisine, one of my favorites. I don't get what this has to do with nuclear weapons. I agree their government is not responsible enough to have them, but I think their people can handle the rice and I don't think you can use rice to make WMDs, do you? Maybe you mean the only way we can force their government to moderate is to starve their people. It seems to me that would make the people more supportive of their bad government and to demonize foreigners even more.

Many of us have friends in many different countries , i made no reference to race or religion , governments make war and the general populace suffer the consequence whatever the choice of diet .

You will not starve the people with the lack of a few grains of rice , but you can help to alleviate future suffering for these peple by denying their government any kind of patrianism . Demonization is a state of mind brought about through schooling in one way or another , only the person can decide which way he wants his thinking to proceed , too often the apparent starving masses bite the hand that feeds them .

You will not starve the people with the lack of a few grains of rice

Really? I was under the impression that many times widespread economic sanctions against rogue states does indeed result in starvation of part of the target nation's population.

For example:

(Yes, I know this link is about Iraq, not Iran, but its the same type of issue)

http://www.globalissues.org/article/105/effects-of-sanctions

In addition, As UNICEF and other United Nations bodies and officials have reported, the sanctions (which the U.S. and U.K., primarily, refused to have lifted), added to the death toll since 1991 and was estimated to be close to 1 million deaths up to 1998 with mass starvations and disease (while Saddam Hussein had remained unaffected, and he himself sometimes used that for political advantage).
Edited by Jingthing

No really, tell the truth you are an American aren't you?

Iran are the next contenders for the throne in nuclier armaments , can you imagine that dimented a/hole with an atom bomb ? Bye-Bye world , and you live in this world ,. but not for long if you encourage this egotistical maniac .

Havent we been down this road before with something similar with a certain US president claiming there where WMD's in a certain country, threat to the world...blah...blah and used this as a justification to invade, and then found no WMD's.... and oh yes I forgot there is oil in Iran as well... :o

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c47190fe-a452-11...?nclick_check=1

I hope LOS doesn't get on Uncle Sam's S-list!

Thailand on Monday said it planned to barter rice for oil with Iran in the clearest example to date of how the triple financial, fuel and food crisis is reshaping global trade as countries struggle with high commodity prices and a lack of credit.

The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organisation said such government-to-government bartering – a system of trade not used for decades – was likely to become more common as the private sector was finding it hard to access credit for food imports.

Iran is going to great lengths to avoid the US dollar.

I actually see this as a ploy to get the American's to loosen up trade restrictions on Thai imports. Nothing else.

Edited by bkkjames

We all seem to have short memories around here.

Recall back 7-8 months ago when the rice prices peaked and Samak pushed through a program to buy rice at a premium above the market price and store it?

I expect Thailand has warehouse receipts for a fair bit of nice expensive rice at the moment but wishes to preserve it's cash reserves.

Chinese and Japanese tankers leave for home every week with Iranian oil and nothing is said. Why should this be considered anything other than a smart move to preserve cash reserves on the part of Thailand?

~WISteve

Personally, I think it's a rather silly way of doing business (at least on a large scale), but, hey, if they can agree on how to do, I don't see where it should be of much conern to anyone else. It certainly has little effect on anyone/anything.

I am American, and I have to agree that as a vast generalization, the Iranians I have known are decent, good people.  I do have a problem with the more radical religious faction of the government, and their current president is a certified kook, but I am not sure what that has to do with rice and oil.  It certainly does not affect me.

I am American, and I have to agree that as a vast generalization, the Iranians I have known are decent, good people. I do have a problem with the more radical religious faction of the government, and their current president is a certified kook, but I am not sure what that has to do with rice and oil. It certainly does not affect me.

Same same as current US President..... "Flash" Gordon Brown and many current and past politians I could mention...

I am American, and I have to agree that as a vast generalization, the Iranians I have known are decent, good people. I do have a problem with the more radical religious faction of the government, and their current president is a certified kook, but I am not sure what that has to do with rice and oil. It certainly does not affect me.

Same same as current US President..... "Flash" Gordon Brown and many current and past politians I could mention...

Absolutely. But just as I don't expect to pigeon hole me based on their opinions of Bush, I don't pigeon hole Iranians based on my opinion of Ahmadinejad.

Absolutely. But just as I don't expect to pigeon hole me based on their opinions of Bush, I don't pigeon hole Iranians based on my opinion of Ahmadinejad.

And to think I thought you were a really nice level headed person when I met you at our PissUp. :o

And to think I thought you were a really nice level headed person when I met you at our PissUp. :o

Ah, I didn't even know I had made an impression on you as you never talked to me!  I guess I am more notable than I give myself credit for.  :D

Edited by bonobo

Ah, I didn't even know I had made an impression on you as you never talked to me!  I guess I am more notable than I give myself credit for.  :D

Hey monkeybrains, this is what you said to me in the gg bar smoking forum that got closed or was that a load of horse manure as well? :D