Quick Question - White Water In Well

whiterussian

Anyone know why the well water at the Fan's home in San Kampheign is milky white? - has been that way for many years, and i still can bring myself to drink it. Im hoping harmelss minerals ( they are at foot of mountains).

Any other nasties in well water - should i be cautious?

thank you!

Anyone know why the well water at the Fan's home in San Kampheign is milky white? - has been that way for many years, and i still can bring myself to drink it. Im hoping harmelss minerals ( they are at foot of mountains).

Any other nasties in well water - should i be cautious?

thank you!

Not much help I am afraid but I have read that CM University has a lab where you can have water tested.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you directions..

Hopefully you meant to say that you 'cannot' bring yourself to drink it. Even if the water was clean and clear looking, I would have it tested. Not all contaminants are visible in water.

If/when you find out how to have your water tested, let me know. I would like to have this 'delivered to my door' water tested.

Anybody...?

Thanks Dustoff, however ive managed to avoid it for two years, unless i manage to move there in the next year i wont be testing it, after all THEY drink it every day, and seem just fine. ( apart from the neighbour who got typhoid - but i didnt ask how/where she got it ). But what i will do is spend some time googling the net for limestone/karst? and its effects on water, im guessing thats what the san Kampheign hills are made from, i guess id better google that also... and post back. Thanks for the reply. :o

Edited by UKWEBPRO

I just had a look at the Hydrogeological Map of Northern Thailand and it shows the mountainous areas to the east of San Kampaeng as being volcanics and metamorphics. Do you know the depth of the well? Poorly consolidated beds of tuff frequently leach slowly into wells giving the water a milky appearance (as will weathered limestone).

Edited by Boksida

Wow, Boksida, thank you, thats really interesting! volcanic ash eh?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuff

Tuff (from the Italian "tufo") is a type of rock consisting of consolidated volcanic ash ejected from vents during a volcanic eruption. Tuff should not be confused with tufa, another type of rock.

Not sure how deep , the water is about 7 foot down, and the base of the mountain is about 1/2 km away.

at the center here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=18

however, the nearby reservoir, isnt milky at all!

hmm... maybe i will ask ariound fro some litmus paper.

Thanks v much!