Thai Culture And Materialism

drronnie

I was wondering why Thai people are so crazy about acquiring newest mobile phones and the necessity to have a car (eventhough streets are full enough). Some people in my office that they have to lease expensive mobile phones eventhough their salry is scarce. Why are material goods so important in Thai culture eventhough it contradicts the essence of Buddhism?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering why Thai people are so crazy about acquiring newest mobile phones and the necessity to have a car (eventhough streets are full enough). Some people in my office that they have to lease expensive mobile phones eventhough their salry is scarce. Why are material goods so important in Thai culture eventhough it contradicts the essence of Buddhism?

Following your dating Thai girls topic, I thought you have had enough abuse. NO? Ok

The answer is simple...DR Ronnie, when you were growing up did you not want the latest blue jeans, coolest sony walkman but couldn't afford it? Without going too deep into this I would suggest you do sometime looking into the importance of face in Asian Culture.

And how is this different than people from most of the cultures in the world?

yes, it does. For exmaple in Thailand if you do not have a car nobody will even look at you.

yes, it does. For exmaple in Thailand if you do not have a car nobody will even look at you.

Malaysia is exactly the same....status symbols. I've met people who own car more expensive then their house. I asked them about it and they said expensive car portrays them as successful businessmen otherwise nobody would take them seriously. Go figure....

Edited by CroBiker

Ronnie, get with the programme, those fools in cars can only gain face if the person next to them stuck in rushhour actually knows who they are. They haven't figured out that spending 50+% of their takehome to wake up at 530 am and get home at 9pm everynight so they can eat 25 baht rice and fried pork everynight before doing the same thing over again tomorrow exemplifies not only their questionable set of priorities, it also clearly demonstrates their uniquely poor sense of judgement.

Let the wrath of replies rain down, I am going for lunch - feel like foi gras because I don't waste my money to be another of the face chasing sheep stuck in the endless train of hondas and toyotas trying to crawl across the Taksin Bridge. BAAHHA AHHHA BA :o

No necessarily true, and even so would you really want to hang out or be with someone who judged you by if you were a car owner or not? I am sure that the make of car is equally important as well.

Ronnie, get with the programme, those fools in cars can only gain face if the person next to them stuck in rushhour actually knows who they are. They haven't figured out that spending 50+% of their takehome to wake up at 530 am and get home at 9pm everynight so they can eat 25 baht rice and fried pork everynight before doing the same thing over again tomorrow exemplifies not only their questionable set of priorities, it also clearly demonstrates their uniquely poor sense of judgement.

Let the wrath of replies rain down, I am going for lunch - feel like foi gras because I don't waste my money to be another of the face chasing sheep stuck in the endless train of hondas and toyotas trying to crawl across the Taksin Bridge. BAAHHA AHHHA BA :o

You are right. Eventhough I we have a car at home I never use it, because I like to the freedom of traveling in a bus or on foot. When we have these days where there is the mega traffic I can jump off the bus and have a coffee or take a motorbike. My travelling expenses are around 2,000 Baht per month and I get around a lot, whilst some of my colleague spend monthly 11,000 Baht for the lease, gas etc.

I am living like the Yiddisg prover says: "Powerful are those that have the money to spend but don't. Weak are those who spend the money they do not have". If more Thais would be listening to His Majesty the King's words of advice then we would not have these problems of debts and financial pressure which many in Thailand do have.

No necessarily true, and even so would you really want to hang out or be with someone who judged you by if you were a car owner or not? I am sure that the make of car is equally important as well.

Yeah if you hold a foreign passport, wear shorts and a tee and sandals you're a super star around here. Poor Thais just can't keep up with that.

Jeans and walk man compared to cell phone or a car?? It doesn't make sense much as they are necessary but as they want to make it luxury, guess they only live once in this life anyway.

I have never meet a Thai who has been on hard times over a cell phone.

Edited by RakJungTorlae

I've lived in Asia for about 8 years now, four in Japan, four here in Thailand. There are many of the same 'traits' or cultural characteristics held between the 'West' and the 'East', and between societies/cultures throughout Asia, although the degrees and manners to which they are practiced, held, believed, etc. contrast immensely.

Yes, Bangkok and much of Thai society is highly materialistic (not all of Thai society, of course) - even though HM promotes 'Sufficiency Economy' which promotes living a humble life abiding by Buddhist morals. Much of Western societies are very materialistic as well, although the manners and degrees of materialism, differ quite a bit. And therefore, you have every right to take note of these differences of degrees.

Thailand does have (very admirable) moral guidelines thanks to Buddhism, although many persons across most societies/cultures very rarely adhere much to those guidelines. As it was mentioned earlier, face seems to trump many, if not all, of the other societal 'traits' in many societies across Asia - as hypocritical as it might seem. Much of Thai society can seem to be the height of hypocrisy. There are, though, 'diamonds in the rough', that are definitely worth holding on to (tightly).

I like to the freedom of traveling in a bus or on foot.

Well, I prefer the convenience of the car, and so are millions of Bangkokians.

Don't forget that people in the West have three four times more cars than Thais.

Interesting statistic.

When I was growing up our family had two cars. Is that much different than Thai families?

Your first point about convenience, that speaks for itself.

I like to the freedom of traveling in a bus or on foot.

Well, I prefer the convenience of the car, and so are millions of Bangkokians.

Don't forget that people in the West have three four times more cars than Thais.

Well each to his own. I haved lived in Germany for the past 14 years and did not have the impression that there were that many cars. Maybe because of the better infrastructure. And there are no households with 4 or more cars.

Yeah if you hold a foreign passport, wear shorts and a tee and sandals you're a super star around here. Poor Thais just can't keep up with that.

Don't forget the white skin. Although whitener lotions are starting to even the score...

Isaan b/g

post-21740-1225262127.jpg

Bangkok Hi-So

post-21740-1225261872.jpg

Edited by toptuan

I was wondering myself to, but it's not really bothering is it? :o I do find out that Asian people in general, love to chat with each other, their mobile is there second husband. I notice this cultural difference about the need to talk to somebody very clearly between Asia and Europe.

I was wondering myself to, but it's not really bothering is it? :o I do find out that Asian people in general, love to chat with each other, their mobile is there second husband. I notice this cultural difference about the need to talk to somebody very clearly between Asia and Europe.

Their mobile is used to talk to their Thai bf or husband, or alternatively when to schedule that trip up country to see the family which just so happens to coincide with the arrive of her previous guy from overseas who has returned on his annual vacation.

Or perhaps they just use it to talk to their friends about what they ate today. :D

Here's an interesting article I remember reading a few months back in the Atlantic which directly relates to this topic. The title is called 'Inconspicuous Consumption', and it basically says that the 'new rich' spend their cash on 'has-been luxury items' such as watches, cars, etc, whereas the 'wealthy with taste' spend it on higher education (PhD degrees), 'elite' seminars with 'prominent thinkers', tasteful interior design, etc., versus 'flashing' their 'bling'. Well, Thailand is considered a 'developing country' by many, so it's no surprise that most people here would would attempt to appear as 'new rich'.

Here's the article link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/consumption

Try discussing this article with your average Somchai :o

Edited by fr33space

85% of the phone talk time is just jibba jabba... :o

Yes win frue TRUE and THAI GMS and lose for the users. They are wasting their money and do not even have the overview. In average a person phones about 400 Baht a week. That is alot.

Yes win frue TRUE and THAI GMS and lose for the users. They are wasting their money and do not even have the overview. In average a person phones about 400 Baht a week. That is alot.

DR Ronnie - ever think about starting your own blog.

Could name it "Poor Me - Why Thai Girls Don't Like My Style"

or

"My preconcieved notion of Thailand was wrong - and here is why"

:D

DR Ronnie - ever think about starting your own blog.

Could name it "Poor Me - Why Thai Girls Don't Like My Style"

or

"My preconcieved notion of Thailand was wrong - and here is why"

:D

Why is my preconcieved notion of Thailand wrong? or am I just a pessimist?

Thais are social creatures - they exchange music, pictures, ringtones, news, gossip - if you have an older phone without camera or MP3, you are socially fuc_ked.

And yes, they love to talk, on the phone or in person - is that so materialistic? I don't see it that way.

>>>

I don't remember exact numbers now, or where I got them, but in Thailand it's still 2 cars per 10 people, while in the West it's about 8 per 10. Bangkok is close to that number, though, if you discount migrant workers from the total population.

Walking in Germany on a crispy autumn day with last rays of sunshine is not quite the same as sweating out through potholes on Sukhumwit in 40C and a good chance of tropical downpoor in the next five minutes. Or try getting caught on the crowded bus in the rain when they shut all windows down.

I'd take a car anytime.

I don't remember exact numbers now, or where I got them, but in Thailand it's still 2 cars per 10 people, while in the West it's about 8 per 10. Bangkok is close to that number, though, if you discount migrant workers from the total population.

More relevant would be the numbers who'd have a car if they could afford one.

Thais are social creatures - they exchange music, pictures, ringtones, news, gossip - if you have an older phone without camera or MP3, you are socially fuc_ked.

And yes, they love to talk, on the phone or in person - is that so materialistic? I don't see it that way.

>>>

Walking in Germany on a crispy autumn day with last rays of sunshine is not quite the same as sweating out through potholes on Sukhumwit in 40C and a good chance of tropical downpoor in the next five minutes. Or try getting caught on the crowded bus in the rain when they shut all windows down.

I'd take a car anytime.

Well, being stuck in traffic for two hours in your own car is like hel_l. I drove in Bangkok streets for 1/2 year but then I said never again. I only use my motorcycle, take taxi or bus.