Problems With Skype....

McLovin

I am having a few problems with Skype. Perhaps someone knows the answer.

I have a Skype account with a 'Skype In' number, so people can call me on a local number, and it comes through to my PC through. No problems so far.

However, when I try to call forward to my Thai mobile AIS, I am damned if I can do the setting properly. All I want is for it to go to my mobile, not the Skype voice mail. If I dont answer my mobile, then I want to it to go to my mobile voicemail.

Am I the only one with problems with Skype call forwading????

I am having a few problems with Skype. Perhaps someone knows the answer.

I have a Skype account with a 'Skype In' number, so people can call me on a local number, and it comes through to my PC through. No problems so far.

However, when I try to call forward to my Thai mobile AIS, I am damned if I can do the setting properly. All I want is for it to go to my mobile, not the Skype voice mail. If I dont answer my mobile, then I want to it to go to my mobile voicemail.

Am I the only one with problems with Skype call forwading????

I have your same setup, Skype-In number in US, forwarded to my DTAC cell phone, and it works great.

I believe that the trick is to steup Skype properly in terms of delay before your call is forwarded. Under options/tools/calls/call forwarding, first you have to tell Skype to forward your calls, then you have to give it the number to forward to, using the +66....... format, and then type in the delay time. If your delay is too long, your callers will give up, but if it is too short, you will never get a chance to run to answer from your computer if you are at home. Start with 10 seconds and see if it works for you. If you only want to use your mobile, then I would set the delay to 1 second.

Once you have forwarding set up, try calling your Skype In number from Skype Out and see if your cell phone rings and then forwards to your voicemail.

Good luck!

Paul

Sorry to drag OT.. But how do you guys find skype on mobiles using GPRS and Edge ?? Workable ??

Or are you in wifi range ??

I had been kinda holding off on upgrading my phone to one that can run skype and GPS as my K850 doesnt have a skype client. I kinda thought that Thailand would need to go to 3G before that would be worthwhile..

Sorry to drag OT.. But how do you guys find skype on mobiles using GPRS and Edge ?? Workable ??

Or are you in wifi range ??

I had been kinda holding off on upgrading my phone to one that can run skype and GPS as my K850 doesnt have a skype client. I kinda thought that Thailand would need to go to 3G before that would be worthwhile..

Have tried it both in Thailand and in the US, but found it unworkable (I think it has to do with the extra latency due to wireless). On the other hand, I have tried it with UMTS (3G) in Europe and it works very well. I have also tried Skype extensively on regular dialup and found it to be OK, as long as you are able to connect in the 50 Kpbs range (farily good phone line).

• 1 month later...

I am also having problems with Skype. I downloaded it on to my Windows XP machine then went off to buy a Philips headset which had Skype written on the package. I am trying to speak from Thailand to a contact in Alaska using the PC and headphones. I can hear them but they can't hear me.

I am consistently getting indications that my microphone is not working with Skype, though it does work independently. The only solution I have been given so far is to reinstall Windows with a more up to date version which includes a driver for the headphones. Can it really be this complicated?

The original intention was to link up a child with her auntie in time for Xmas. At the moment I haven't the heart to tell her we've got a system but it doesn''t work. Any thoughts anyone?

^ Reinstalling Windows would be ridiculous. Try a different mic or better still, buy a cordless Skype phone. They're not expensive, and they're a lot more convenient than headphones and a mic (just like using a normal cordless on a landline). They hook up through USB, so you shouldn't have any mic issues. Always worked perfectly for me.

I am also having problems with Skype. I downloaded it on to my Windows XP machine then went off to buy a Philips headset which had Skype written on the package. I am trying to speak from Thailand to a contact in Alaska using the PC and headphones. I can hear them but they can't hear me.

I am consistently getting indications that my microphone is not working with Skype, though it does work independently. The only solution I have been given so far is to reinstall Windows with a more up to date version which includes a driver for the headphones. Can it really be this complicated?

The original intention was to link up a child with her auntie in time for Xmas. At the moment I haven't the heart to tell her we've got a system but it doesn''t work. Any thoughts anyone?

On your main Skype panel, select Tools/Options/Audio Settings. There is a pull down for selecting microphones and one for headset/speakers. Make sure you have the proper selection there and there are also some choices when you are making a call under the lil headset icon. You can adjust levels and select devices there too. You can make a test call to a Skype answering machine that will play back to you so you can set your levels and then listen to see how they sound. I hope this helps.