Problem With Link Failure To Adsl

Siki

I am in the lower Sukhumvit area and have been using True for my ADSL service for several years on my Windows XP system.

For the last 2 weeks I can’t maintain my connection with True as I get a “Link to True Failed” notice about every three minutes and this point I have to redial.

I called True and their technician came out and told that the line (on True’s side) was good. He make a couple of suggestions like-turn off the modem when not in use and don’t plug the phone into the splitter that serves the modem. The Link only failed 2-3 or three times while he was here approximately 15 minutes. This is much better than it has been and is almost usable.

When he left, my set up reverted to failing every couple of minutes. This make True unusable.

I don’t know what to do. All of the articles that come up on google are way over my head.

Does anyone know what I might do at this point? Is this possibly a faulty modem or some kind of software problem? Is there some business that can send someone out to troubleshoot this for me?

What about another ISP in the lower Sukhumvit area? Has anyone had success with any other provider than True?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha

Siki

Hello Siki,

I would think you would have had more responses had this post been in the main IT forum, just one level up - maybe a helpful mod will move it.

>..Sukhumvit area and have been using True for my ADSL service for several years on my Windows XP system.

So the connection have been fine for this time, the poor service is new?

Also I assume by "Sukhumvit area" you mean Bangkok as it is quite a long road. If in BKK you will be close to the exchange so the phone line data losses should be reduced compared to someone out in the wilds.

>...“Link to True Failed” notice about every three minutes and this point I have to redial.

What do you mean "redial" - are you using a modem that dials an access number and you then get a 56kbps dial-up connection or do you mean reboot the router or reset via your computer the ADSL (high speed) connection?

>...I called True and their technician came out and told that the line (on True’s side) was good.

The basic line good/no good test should be able to be done remotely by the helpdesk staff that you can call.

> ..He make a couple of suggestions like-turn off the modem when not in use and

> don’t plug the phone into the splitter that serves the modem.

As you suspect (I think) this is simple fob off, if it is an ADSL line you should be able to use the line for data and voice calls at the same time without any problem. Turning the ADSL Modem/Router off when not in use is up to you, personally mine remain on 24/7.

> ..Does anyone know what I might do at this point?

> ..Is this possibly a faulty modem or some kind of software problem?

> ..Is there some business that can send someone out to troubleshoot this for me?

Getting access to the ADSL modem/router's error/event logs might help establish the nature of the fault, that is not too technical but you might consider it a techie task rather than one you would want to do yourself.

Find an average techie that do home visits, probably someone from the area you bought your computer?

Faults on ADSL modem/routers do happen - we had one of ours replaced a few weeks ago - it took the provider Maxnet about two weeks to believe me telling them that the line was OK and the fauklt was their router.

HTH.