Convert A 30 Day On Arrival To Retirement Visa

HOWEVER, I'm not clear: when starting with a Tourist Visa, does it first need to be converted to a Non-Immigrant O, or can the extension be issued directly to the Tourist Visa?

I believe all long-term extensions of stay must have Non Immigrant visas as their anchoring posts, at least for non-Thai nationals (Thai nationals can get one-year "Thai National" extensions of stay on entries with their non-Thai passports, and they apparently do not need a Non Imm visa, at least based on the wife's experience). And, as anchoring posts, this Non Imm number will follow you around, being in Immigration's data base and annotated to each and every renewed passport (as long as you don't bust the chain by missing an annual renewal date). But why you can't long term extend from a Tourist Visa? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it, as the checks and safeguards are in the extension process, not the visa process.

I wonder if the same-day process on a special one-day Non-Immigrant O is still available for folks who meet the criteria to get the extension on initial application, i.e. if my friend had gone the income route with an embassy letter certifying >B65k per month income, would they have sent him out the door the same day with his extension? <shrug>

Excellent question. And so too if he'd had the money in the bank already the requisite 3-months. They now can't say 'come back when the 90-day seasoning is complete.' So, yeah, what would they say, or do? I have not, however, seen many same day conversions and extensions... (but that may be because I don't log in here all the time).

I appreciate the effort it takes in keeping up your website. But it would be a shame if you took it down, particularly for the newbies who need some kind of baseline to turn to. Maybe the moderators assigned here could help you keep an eye on it. And, as such, I would recommend they add the link to your website in the 'pinned' section, maybe in the already pinned "Useful Immigration Information and Visa Descriptions." The regulars might suffer less future carpal tunnel syndrome if they didn't have to answer the same basic questions over and over; there's enough subtleties with this subject to keep a lively dialogue going.

HOWEVER, I'm not clear: when starting with a Tourist Visa, does it first need to be converted to a Non-Immigrant O, or can the extension be issued directly to the Tourist Visa?

I believe all long-term extensions of stay must have Non Immigrant visas as their anchoring posts, at least for non-Thai nationals (Thai nationals can get one-year "Thai National" extensions of stay on entries with their non-Thai passports, and they apparently do not need a Non Imm visa, at least based on the wife's experience). And, as anchoring posts, this Non Imm number will follow you around, being in Immigration's data base and annotated to each and every renewed passport (as long as you don't bust the chain by missing an annual renewal date). But why you can't long term extend from a Tourist Visa? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it, as the checks and safeguards are in the extension process, not the visa process.

Okay, then I'll amend the page to show that a Tourist Visa must pass through the B2000 conversion to Non-Immigrant O visa in the process. Thanks for the help, and inspiring me to spruce up the web page.

• 4 months later...

I attempted to obtain retirement extension starting from 30 day stamp at Suan Plu Bangkok but did not succeed.

First of all, I was sent to room 301 to obtain O visa. The lady was very friendly and professional. She initially checked if i have 21 days remaining on my 30 day tourist stamp. When she asked for an application, I gave TM86 (Application for Visa Status Alteration) but she said this is not necessary. She needed Application for visa. (TM.87), application copy, passport picture page, stamp page copies and photo.

After carefully reviewing the application and making some alterations, she asked for embassy letter. She calculated amount of monthly income into baht and asked for other supporting documents to verify income. I had with me tax and bank statements for the last two years. She verified if amount of monthly income matches embassy letter with bank statements and kept copies of 3 most recent bank statements.

Another document that was required and fortunately I had it with me was proof of residence. I handed her my hotel bill and she carefully noted name, address and phone number right on the application.

I paid B2000 and was instructed to come back in 1 week for results.

Edited by daxbr

I attempted to obtain retirement extension starting from 30 day stamp at Suan Plu Bangkok but did not succeed.

First of all, I was sent to room 301 to obtain O visa. The lady was very friendly and professional. She initially checked if i have 21 days remaining on my 30 day tourist stamp. When she asked for an application, I gave TM86 (Application for Visa Status Alteration) but she said this is not necessary. She needed Application for visa. (TM.87) and photo.

After carefully reviewing the application and making some alterations, she asked for embassy letter. She calculated amount of monthly income into baht and asked for other supporting documents to verify income. I had with me tax and bank statements for the last two years. She verify if amount of monthly income matches embassy letter with bank statements and kept copies of 3 most recent bank statements.

Another document that was required and fortunately I had it with me was proof of residence. I handed her my hotel bill and she carefully noted name, address and phone number right on the application.

Looks to me like you did suceed but I have never heard of a 7 day wait.

Out of curiosity, did you have 21 days remaining on your 30-day entry permit?

As you met the requirements for retirement extension, it will be interesting to see whether or not you get both the Non Imm O and the extension when you return in a week.....

Out of curiosity, did you have 21 days remaining on your 30-day entry permit?

As you met the requirements for retirement extension, it will be interesting to see whether or not you get both the Non Imm O and the extension when you return in a week.....

Yes, went to Immigration two days after I arrived at Suvarnabhumi.

I will post the conclusion of the story. One thing I am not sure about is whether they will require another embassy letter for retirement extension application. The first letter was retained by them while applying for O visa. I only have copies.

One thing I am not sure about is whether they will require another embassy letter for retirement extension application.

Wouldn't that be the height of bureaucratic incompetence -- so be prepared. The 7-day turnaround is already a new twist.....

But, I have a feeling you'll get it all when you return next week. Anyway, good luck.

First of all, I was sent to room 301 to obtain O visa. The lady was very friendly and professional. She initially checked if i have 21 days remaining on my 30 day tourist stamp. When she asked for an application, I gave TM86 (Application for Visa Status Alteration) but she said this is not necessary. She needed Application for visa. (TM.87), application copy, passport picture page, stamp page copies and photo.

After carefully reviewing the application and making some alterations, she asked for embassy letter. She calculated amount of monthly income into baht and asked for other supporting documents to verify income. I had with me tax and bank statements for the last two years. She verified if amount of monthly income matches embassy letter with bank statements and kept copies of 3 most recent bank statements.

I returned to Suan Plu Immigration today and 3 month NON-O visa was stamped into my passport. It must be single entry as it was immediately stamped USED.

Following that, I attempted to obtain retirement extension downstairs but my application was rejected again. The reason was lack of original embassy letter. Copy was not acceptable even if original is currently in possession of the Immigration Department as part of the application for non-o filed 7 days ago and granted today. I was advised to obtain new embassy letter and re-apply 30 days before current visa expires. The lady was nice and professional but made it very clear her decision is not subject to discussion or any kind of reasoning.

This development complicates matters as I planned to go overseas next month.

It is the normal procedure - even if you enter on a non immigrant visa and did not do the process of converting - you apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay stamp. Exceptions are sometimes made - but they are exceptions.

Edited by lopburi3

I returned to Suan Plu Immigration today and 3 month NON-O visa was stamped into my passport. It must be single entry as it was immediately stamped USED.

Following that, I attempted to obtain retirement extension downstairs but my application was rejected again. The reason was lack of original embassy letter. Copy was not acceptable even if original is currently in possession of the Immigration Department as part of the application for non-o filed 7 days ago and granted today. I was advised to obtain new embassy letter and re-apply 30 days before current visa expires. The lady was nice and professional but made it very clear her decision is not subject to discussion or any kind of reasoning.

This development complicates matters as I planned to go overseas next month.

Glad to report that I received retirement extension today with expiration of 1 year and 2 and 1/2 months. Before going to immigration, I obtained second embassy letter.

The approval procedure was pretty standard. They did require additional form titled STATEMENT. The purpose of it was not immediately clear and I did not dare to ask. Half way down the form, there were several questions about my sponsor that I left out blank. The form was accepted.

Thank you very much to all the posters here and website owner listed above . I could not possibly complete this task without your vaulable information, experience and advice.

I attempted to obtain retirement extension downstairs but my application was rejected again. The reason was lack of original embassy letter. Copy was not acceptable even if original is currently in possession of the Immigration Department as part of the application for non-o filed 7 days ago....The lady was nice and professional but made it very clear her decision is not subject to discussion or any kind of reasoning......

Glad to report that I received retirement extension today with expiration of 1 year and 2 and 1/2 months. Before going to immigration, I obtained second embassy letter.

Well, at least you're over that hurdle -- annual renewals shouldn't be as involved.

But what a **** job. Why the "seven day hiatus" when there's no reason for not getting the conversion and extension the same day, as others have done......And by keeeping your income letter, forcing the time and expense of getting another income letter.

If Immigration really understood what riduculous hoops they were putting you through, I really believe they would have tried to be more efficient. But, a 'systems approach' when inidividual rice bowls are involved can get a little dicey.