Dummy Questions

Asmerom

Just a couple of quesions to rile the old hands.

As I am a complete technical dummy and worse, have only been in Chiang Mai one week, can any patient poster please tell me what I need to install, to receive FOX NEWS and BLOOMBERG television in a rented house near Mae Rim. Do I ask for Cable or Satelite TV? Is that sufficient. My room has Cable TV at Viangbua Mansions but the TV doesn't receive those two Channels.

Also I mean to buy a Motorbike. Believe me, I have tried searching this site using every combination of relevant words I could think of but I can find no recommendations about buying an everyday (probably) Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki 150cc bike. Repairs, yes, but not buying. Maybe because its too obvious as there are so many outlets but surely some are better to deal with than others?

There is a Thai cable TV service that provides FOX News and Bloomberg. Sorry, I can't remember it's name but it is fairly cheap. I got a flyer on my motorbike a few weeks ago about it while shopping at the night market at Worarot Market. It also has ABC (Australia).

A good place to go and look for motorbikes is the Saturday market on the Hang Dong Road. Way, way past Hang Dong though. You need to go early. What they don't sell there on a Saturday they bring back to the Rimping market on a Sunday but add about Bt1500 - 2,000 to the price (Thai logic).

Yesterday I saw a shop on the road that runs from the train station to the Arcade bus depot with a lot of bikes for sale. It's the same road as the Indian consulate.

Hope that helps.

There is a Thai cable TV service that provides FOX News and Bloomberg. Sorry, I can't remember it's name but it is fairly cheap. I got a flyer on my motorbike a few weeks ago about it while shopping at the night market at Worarot Market. It also has ABC (Australia).

A good place to go and look for motorbikes is the Saturday market on the Hang Dong Road. Way, way past Hang Dong though. You need to go early. What they don't sell there on a Saturday they bring back to the Rimping market on a Sunday but add about Bt1500 - 2,000 to the price (Thai logic).

Yesterday I saw a shop on the road that runs from the train station to the Arcade bus depot with a lot of bikes for sale. It's the same road as the Indian consulate.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

If you are referring to WETV then you are nearly correct. It does have Bloomberg, ABC (Australia) as well as Aljazeera news, BBC World amongst others. It does not have FOX news but CNN instead. You can check out their website www.wetv.co.th or call them on 053-418720-6. They speak very good English. It costs me only 350 baht per month for approximately 50 channels including some English language movie channels and sports as well as the above.

Let's hope the OP wants Fox news for the entertainment value and not the far-right bias. :o

Kind regards,

Hill16

Just a couple of quesions to rile the old hands.

As I am a complete technical dummy and worse, have only been in Chiang Mai one week, can any patient poster please tell me what I need to install, to receive FOX NEWS and BLOOMBERG television in a rented house near Mae Rim. Do I ask for Cable or Satelite TV? Is that sufficient. My room has Cable TV at Viangbua Mansions but the TV doesn't receive those two Channels.

Also I mean to buy a Motorbike. Believe me, I have tried searching this site using every combination of relevant words I could think of but I can find no recommendations about buying an everyday (probably) Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki 150cc bike. Repairs, yes, but not buying. Maybe because its too obvious as there are so many outlets but surely some are better to deal with than others?

Go to the market behind Rim Ping market up North on Sunday's. They have a hundred. I bought 6 there for friends.

That is located at the intersection of Mae Jo Rd and the Middle Ring road, and it starts on Saturday, not sure about Sunday

I dont think WETV has a coverage in Mae Rim...

About the bike, only Honda has a 150cc sport bike CBR. If you opt for a used one, get Honda Wave/ Dream/ click, yamaha mio....every bikeshop can fix those.

Good Luck

And there is the lighter Suzuki Raider 150cc. I have one - potentially for sale :o .

A good place to go and look for motorbikes is the Saturday market on the Hang Dong Road. Way.

Hi,

If you are referring to WETV then you are nearly correct. It does have Bloomberg, ABC (Australia) as well as Aljazeera news, BBC World amongst others. It does not have FOX news but CNN instead. You can check out their website www.wetv.co.th or call them on 053-418720-6. They speak very good English. It costs me only 350 baht per month

Well, that's great to learn I can get those three News Programmes on something called WETV for only 350 baht per month. It seems unbelievable.I was pushed in the direction of UBC by my House Agents and looking at their papers I would need to pay 1,568 baht per month to get BBC,Bloomberg,and CNN, but not Aljazeera. No Fox of course. For 900 baht I get just Bloomberg. It must be the entertainment Channels which costs the money. But the difference in cost is staggering.

Do you mean to say you all exist without O'Reilly and all the other outstanding presenters and political pundits on FOX News? Taken in 30 minute doses its interesting, entertaining and stimulating even if its not, as they keep saying, "fair, balanced and unafraid". You can always throw your slippers at the TV. But CNN and BBC World News pale by comparison.The presenters are all wet or flakey. Its the difference between chomping on a thick sirloin steak and a bowl of thin noodle soup. There's no contest. I'm looking for an hotel to stay on Nov 4th just to watch Obama get elected on FOX NEWS.

I will certainly explore the markets at Hang Dong and Rimping for my bike. But the website mentioned is all Thai and unreadable. Thanks a lot for all those helpful replies.

Do you mean to say you all exist without O'Reilly and all the other outstanding presenters and political pundits on FOX News? Taken in 30 minute doses its interesting, entertaining and stimulating even if its not, as they keep saying, "fair, balanced and unafraid". You can always throw your slippers at the TV. But CNN and BBC World News pale by comparison.The presenters are all wet or flakey. Its the difference between chomping on a thick sirloin steak and a bowl of thin noodle soup.

Finally, a person of taste! :o

Do you mean to say you all exist without O'Reilly and all the other outstanding presenters and political pundits on FOX News? Taken in 30 minute doses its interesting, entertaining and stimulating even if its not, as they keep saying, "fair, balanced and unafraid". You can always throw your slippers at the TV. But CNN and BBC World News pale by comparison.The presenters are all wet or flakey. Its the difference between chomping on a thick sirloin steak and a bowl of thin noodle soup.

Too bad the Reich Broadcasting Corporation is no longer on air. For news gourmets who fancy the juicy sirloin of Fox News, its news programmes would no doubt be exquisite filet mignon.

To sum things up and stick in my tuppence worth:

WETV doesn't carry FOX and I'm pretty sure coverage is limited to the "city" environs, i.e it's a non-starter in Mae Rim. There are alternatives to UBC which involve paying for a dish install and a pirated signal (from P.I I think?) and you pay a 6 month or annual sub for that - not sure of the channels though but there are a number of small shops, normally with a whacking great dish outside, that can fix you up with this.

Motorcycles (more my field), can be got at either Sanpatong market on saturdays (south of Hang Dong) but like someone else said, get there early. On sundays, Ruam Chok otherwise known as the "Mae Jo Rimping" is worth a look but be careful as I bought a bit of as lemon there a year or so ago - a little Wave that looked nice but was just tarted up and the nice cosmetics hid all manner of woes. Still, cheap to fix. I'd recommend the shop by Chiang Mai Gate at the fork with Wualai next to the hospital there - he deals in repos and I've had 3 decent small bikes off him in the last year. Expect to pay about 30K for a 12-18 month old Wave or Dream from him. Niyom Panisch is another big dealer but you'll pay big dealer prices. They are in various locations in town.

Lastly, and it probably goes without saying - autos are great for town but thirsty. Semi-autos (gears/no hand clutch) are more economical and better in the hills.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Too bad the Reich Broadcasting Corporation is no longer on air. For news gourmets who fancy the juicy sirloin of Fox News, its news programmes would no doubt be exquisite filet mignon.

Don't worry, it is neither interesting nor entertaining, but you can't beat the BBC for biased, left-wing propoganda if that is what you prefer. :o

A good place to go and look for motorbikes is the Saturday market on the Hang Dong Road. Way.

Hi,

If you are referring to WETV then you are nearly correct. It does have Bloomberg, ABC (Australia) as well as Aljazeera news, BBC World amongst others. It does not have FOX news but CNN instead. You can check out their website www.wetv.co.th or call them on 053-418720-6. They speak very good English. It costs me only 350 baht per month

Well, that's great to learn I can get those three News Programmes on something called WETV for only 350 baht per month. It seems unbelievable.I was pushed in the direction of UBC by my House Agents and looking at their papers I would need to pay 1,568 baht per month to get BBC,Bloomberg,and CNN, but not Aljazeera. No Fox of course. For 900 baht I get just Bloomberg. It must be the entertainment Channels which costs the money. But the difference in cost is staggering.

Do you mean to say you all exist without O'Reilly and all the other outstanding presenters and political pundits on FOX News? Taken in 30 minute doses its interesting, entertaining and stimulating even if its not, as they keep saying, "fair, balanced and unafraid". You can always throw your slippers at the TV. But CNN and BBC World News pale by comparison.The presenters are all wet or flakey. Its the difference between chomping on a thick sirloin steak and a bowl of thin noodle soup. There's no contest. I'm looking for an hotel to stay on Nov 4th just to watch Obama get elected on FOX NEWS.

I will certainly explore the markets at Hang Dong and Rimping for my bike. But the website mentioned is all Thai and unreadable. Thanks a lot for all those helpful replies.

I get by just fine without the FOX news propaganda channel. Thank God its unavailable here. Yes, it can be entertaining in 30 minute doses. Indeed CNN and BBC are biased as well; in the opposite direction of course.

Morning Book dude!!

Did you get up specially early to write this post? And what were doing last night?

I wonder if anyone, including your goodself,has the foggiest idea what it means.

As a newbie, I am sure you are clueless as to who the Book Dude is. He is a gentleman who has lived here 20+ years and most people on this forum know him well.I was up too early and this was simply my way of saying hello to him as we often disagree on politics yet are friends at all times.Last night I was busy.Not relevent.Now you have a foggy yet more informed idea. Welcome to this crazy forum...

Behind or I should say north of the Rimping located at the intersection of the first ring road and the MaeJo Hwy, is a 7-11 as you go north. Turn left just before the 7-11 and straight ahead 100 meters is the Saturday but mostly Sunday bike market. Most are the small Waves,Mios,etc and a few Phantoms and occasionally a Boss or two. As these are usually not regular big bikes, the sellers usually have the green book and you take it to the local DMV, for transfer. Helps a lot to take a thai sa peaker

Morning Book dude!!

Did you get up specially early to write this post? And what were doing last night?

I wonder if anyone, including your goodself,has the foggiest idea what it means.

As a newbie, I am sure you are clueless as to who the Book Dude is. He is a gentleman who has lived here 20+ years and most people on this forum know him well.I was up too early and this was simply my way of saying hello to him as we often disagree on politics yet are friends at all times.Last night I was busy.Not relevent.Now you have a foggy yet more informed idea. Welcome to this crazy forum...

We pretty much agree on Obama though. He has fought the good fight and looks to emerge victorious. May he turn out to be as good as he appears to be. :o