Dummy Questions

Asmerom

Just a couple of quesions to rile the old hands.

As I am a complete technical dummy and worse, have only been in Chiang Mai one week, can any patient poster please tell me what I need to install, to receive FOX NEWS and BLOOMBERG television in a rented house near Mae Rim. Do I ask for Cable or Satelite TV? Is that sufficient. My room has Cable TV at Viangbua Mansions but the TV doesn't receive those two Channels.

Also I mean to buy a Motorbike. Believe me, I have tried searching this site using every combination of relevant words I could think of but I can find no recommendations about buying an everyday (probably) Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki 150cc bike. Repairs, yes, but not buying. Maybe because its too obvious as there are so many outlets but surely some are better to deal with than others?

Yes, fortunately FOX news is not available in Chiang Mai as such. I can however recommend an excellent lobotomy clinic (very popular with the news forum subscribers), which will leave you in a similar state to extensive FOX exposure, but with less suffering.

As to bikes I think most dealers are similar, I think you will need a residency certificate or a yellow book to buy in your name though.

I am delighted that it [ FOX] makes you so crazy. rock on.

These are the same supposedly sensitive, freedom loving folks who are always calling for a ban on McDonalds. You folks ever hear about freedom of choice? All you have to do is turn the channel if you don't like it. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes, fortunately FOX news is not available in Chiang Mai as such. I can however recommend an excellent lobotomy clinic (very popular with the news forum subscribers), which will leave you in a similar state to extensive FOX exposure, but with less suffering.

It was actually to avoid the necessity of undergoing a lobotomy and rescue my perilously challenged sanity that I sought my salvation in Fox but I seems I'm to be deprived of this nutritious source of combative entertainment and muscular argument, this fount of "fair and balanced" worldly wisdom only to be fed the embarressingly feeble pap exuded from the mouths of those willowy presenters at CNN and BBC which will be as painful as having teeth extracted and just as costly at an horrendous 1500baht per month. Mae Rim is not of course covered by WETV as someone pointed out.

But then, I expect, if at all, you all watch Thai TV.

Just a couple of quesions to rile the old hands.

As I am a complete technical dummy and worse, have only been in Chiang Mai one week, can any patient poster please tell me what I need to install, to receive FOX NEWS and BLOOMBERG television in a rented house near Mae Rim. Do I ask for Cable or Satelite TV? Is that sufficient. My room has Cable TV at Viangbua Mansions but the TV doesn't receive those two Channels.

Also I mean to buy a Motorbike. Believe me, I have tried searching this site using every combination of relevant words I could think of but I can find no recommendations about buying an everyday (probably) Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki 150cc bike. Repairs, yes, but not buying. Maybe because its too obvious as there are so many outlets but surely some are better to deal with than others?

As far as I’m concerned there are only two models of motorbikes worth having in Thailand. I own both of these types.

1. The Honda Phantom. 4 stroke (200cc) Heavy, 6 gears, low maintenance, economical to run, great if you travel longer distances. Cost approx: 90000 baht.

2. Honda Wave. 4 stroke (100cc & 125cc) Great all rounder motorbike. Low maintenance, economical to run, mainly for travelling semi long distances and around town. Models vary, automatic, semi automatic, Manuel 4 gears. Cost: from 30000 baht up to 55000 baht depending on the model.

post-11344-1225700534_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1225700543_thumb.jpg

2. Honda Wave. 4 stroke (100cc & 125cc) Great all rounder motorbike. Low maintenance, economical to run, mainly for travelling semi long distances and around town. Models vary, automatic, semi automatic, Manuel 4 gears. Cost: from 30000 baht up to 55000 baht depending on the model.

Well that's just what I wanted. A very clear recommendation for a novice. I was dithering between a Wave, a Dream a Click and your post has given me the final push I needed, to buy a new Wave. I wanted a 125cc but one lady in a Honda shop (regret cannot specify which, as being new, I just popped in,not really knowing where I was) said Honda didn't do a

125cc !!

Though its possible there was a linguistic problem and she was meaning -the Honda does not have a very deep "luggage compartment" under the seat. She recommended Susuki for that. I had asked for a bike with that (for shopping).

Also, at the moment I'm riding a rented Honda Click 110cc ( not quite powerful enough) with push button ignition.No fuss starting.I believe that adds about 4/5000 baht on to the price. Is it worth paying for that rather than the kick start? Is the kick start just as reliable? It can't surely be as easy? To be used as you suggest, for round town (shopping) AND semi-long distances for treks into the mountains. NOT off-road biking. Would be grateful for your comments.

Honda does make a Wave 125 model now, but it is moot.

I own a '07 Wave 100 S (disk brake model, no electric start). Bought it a year ago. Very good bike for everyday use here in Chiang Mai.

I bomb along on Superhighway maxed at 100 kph....rarely get passed by cars. I've carried home a huge clay pot from Kham Tieng market, a microwave from Makro, and often a ton of purchases from Carrefour, Tesco Lotus, etc. Gets a zillion miles per gallon, and very few parts.

I love the Wave 100. Great all around transportation.

My Honda wave is a 100cc. Bought it 5 years ago.

Now done 40000 km and it goes on and on.

I have a huge plastic box that I strap on the the back of the seat. This carries all my shopping, almost as much as the capacity of a car boot.

I keep my speed to no more than 65 km/ph. This ensures the engine doesnt wear too soon, but with the 125cc I would expect it would comfortably do speeds of up to 80km/ph safely. Faster speeds are possible if you are not worried about economy for petrol and engine wear.

I prefer the manual 4 speed gear version with clutch, gives me more control. The automatic will burn up to double the amount of fuel as the manual and can be sluggish on start up and getting away from lights etc.

My daughter owns a Yamaha Mio. It`s a 110cc 4 stroke automatic scooter type motorbike. I hate it. Although it gives a smooth comfortable ride, the engine runs very quite and has a powerful headlight great for nightvision, the thing drinks petrol for fun, has small wheels that gives bad cornering, road holding, can be difficult to start if not used for some time, takes forever to warm up and get going, and the shape of the seat makes it unsuitable for carrying shopping.

A full service for my Honda Wave approx 300 baht, tax including insurance per annum, 400 baht. You will be required to take a motorbike driving test if your current licence does not cover motorbikes.

Edited by sassienie

It was actually to avoid the necessity of undergoing a lobotomy and rescue my perilously challenged sanity that I sought my salvation in Fox but I seems I'm to be deprived of this nutritious source of combative entertainment and muscular argument, this fount of "fair and balanced" worldly wisdom only to be fed the embarressingly feeble pap exuded from the mouths of those willowy presenters at CNN and BBC which will be as painful as having teeth extracted and just as costly at an horrendous 1500baht per month. Mae Rim is not of course covered by WETV as someone pointed out.

On the topic of WETV, imo Al Jazeera's reporting outshines the other English language news channels. The BEEB is dull, but hardly left-wing. And there are plenty of other news channels (for those of us who aren't monoglot Anglophones :o , DW-TV, RAI and TV5 give good alternative European perspectives). And Channel News Asia isn't bad either. Despite its occasional unreliability, for the money I can hardly complain about WETV. Shame so much of the sport is S. African-based though.

Edited by wedders

On the topic of WETV, imo Al Jazeera's reporting outshines the other English language news channels. The BEEB is dull, but hardly left-wing. And there are plenty of other news channels (for those of us who aren't monoglot Anglophones :D , DW-TV, RAI and TV5 give good alternative European perspectives). And Channel News Asia isn't bad either. Despite its occasional unreliability, for the money I can hardly complain about WETV. Shame so much of the sport is S. African-based though.

Spot on and seconded - except that I couldn't care less about the sport :o .

My Honda wave is a 100cc. Bought it 5 years ago.

Now done 40000 km and it goes on and on.

I have a huge plastic box that I strap on the the back of the seat. This carries all my shopping, almost as much as the capacity of a car boot.

I keep my speed to no more than 65 km/ph. This ensures the engine doesnt wear too soon, but with the 125cc I would expect it would comfortably do speeds of up to 80km/ph safely. Faster speeds are possible if you are not worried about economy for petrol and engine wear.

I prefer the manual 4 speed gear version with clutch, gives me more control. The automatic will burn up to double the amount of fuel as the manual and can be sluggish on start up and getting away from lights etc.

A full service for my Honda Wave approx 300 baht, tax including insurance per annum, 400 baht. You will be required to take a motorbike driving test if your current licence does not cover motorbikes.

Many thanks once again for that fuller explanation but I'm surprised to hear you say that the automatic is sluggish. I always sidle up to the front of the queue at the lights in my Honda Click knowing I shall leave everyone else standing still. And I like dong at least 80k.

I note the points about fuel consumption and maintainance costs which I will bear in mind. Many thanks to one and all for your invaluable help but I expect its time this thread drew its last breath.

Just one more comment about my TV problem. As well as having to pay 1500baht per month Truevisions does NOT provide either FOX or ALJAZEERA ; both good qualty programmes offered to good quality people of differing persuasions.

Edited by Asmerom

Just one more comment about my TV problem. As well as having to pay 1500baht per month Truevisions does NOT provide either FOX or ALJAZEERA ; both good qualty programmes offered to good quality people of differing persuasions.

Or indeed, of no particular persuasion (other than perhaps scepticism) but who watch a cross-section of programmes to obtain a broader perspective :o

Get a super dooper 4 ( super 4 ) Honda CB400

Parts everywhere in Thailand, its the poor mans Ducati.

I have one, and a big chopper :o - (suzuki desperado!)

super4 for going to work, splitting lanes and getting through traffic jams... and being able to park. cant beat it - reapirs will be dirt cheap, as there are just so many around CM.

chopper for longer distances, waking up the neighbourhood at 2am and not squashing my nuts for 6 hours on a visa run.

want an africa twin now though :D

will swap both for one... please?

Edited by UKWEBPRO

I used to watch Fox News in the US as well as CNN, CBS, MSNBC and anything else I could get. Now that I am here, and Fox is not, it saves me a lot of brain power as I only have to see one side of the issues and don't have to think so much.

Gives me more time to drink.

I bomb along on Superhighway maxed at 100 kph....rarely get passed by cars.

I've carried home a huge clay pot from Kham Tieng market, a microwave from Makro, and often a ton of purchases from Carrefour, Tesco Lotus, etc.

I guess you are not on the road when I'm driving... :D Or else I'm passing you so fast you don't see me.... :o

.....And here I thought that dude on the scooter carrying his four drinking buddies with two mattresses and a case of Shingha was Thai....

Now as far as the WETV website someone had posted in this thread, I have tried it and I get this malware notice.. Just what is 'speed7', anyone know???

post-46350-1225801520_thumb.jpg

I used to watch Fox News in the US as well as CNN, CBS, MSNBC and anything else I could get. Now that I am here, and Fox is not, it saves me a lot of brain power as I only have to see one side of the issues and don't have to think so much.

Gives me more time to drink.

Watching Fox News drains brain power?! I reckon it's about as intellectually taxing as watching the Teletubbies :o (don't know what the equivalent is in the US, sorry) ...

Had a fellow American but Fox noise fan that loved to quote "The reverend Jerry Falwell" One of the reverends claims was that the adgenda of the teletubbies was to turn your unsuspecting children gay if they watched...He has many of these revelations...Ah the Fox noise crowd never ceases to amaze me

Edited by bunta71

Now as far as the WETV website someone had posted in this thread, I have tried it and I get this malware notice.. Just what is 'speed7', anyone know???

From what I can discover, "speed7.info" is a site that doesn't exist. My computer carries more prophylaxis than an anxious virgin, so I think you can safely visit WETV's site......... I go there often and come away unscathed. Plenty of these "false positives" around.

http://www.wetv.co.th/en_howto.php

Let your kids watch the Teletubbies. Nothing wrong with turning them gay as long as Obama is President and all. :o

OOPs ...almost forgot the purple (my favorite color) dinosaur "Barney".

Sexual preference is not my point. The lack of intellectual integrity is what I was referring to and the fact that so many truly believe "The Reverends" profound revelations.

Silly me! I was led to believe everything bad in the world was the fault of us americanos. As of today though i believe we canos (Philippine word) can all hold our heads a little higher. Matter of fact I'm dropping my Scottish accent and removing the Scotland sticker from the old volvo and sticking another U.S. flag on the bumper, as I drive around Chiang Mai. Just to keep this reply relevant to Thailand and specifically Chiang Mai.

Edited by bunta71