Exhibitions In Chiang Mai

Greenside

The Chiang Mai Photographic Group's first exhibition starts tomorrow on the 2nd floor of Northern Village at Airport Plaza. It's a really varied collection of work by members using everything from humble point-and-shoot cameras to high end gear and really emphasises that at the end of the day it's the eye for a picture that counts.

At 5.00 the Hon. British Consul will open the exhibition in the presence of Chiang Mai's Mayor, Captain Deuntemduang Na Chiengmai, and we'd be pleased to welcome any of you who are able to make it too.

The show runs from 11am - 8pm every day through to Sunday November 9th so if you find yourself with a few minutes to spare between paying the phone bill and salivating over the new Sony gear, hop down a floor on the escalator at the aquarium end and take a look.

406339345_j4Gd7-L.jpg

I know it's very late in the day but I only just discovered this. The international exhibition of children's art finishes today at the CMU Art Gallery on Nimmenhamen Road/Suthep Road - if you can get there, it's brilliant!

Some real talent here in CM - great work!

Nice to see so many people at the exhibition - lots of Thais looking as well.

I hope people take the time to see it - definitely worthwhile.

(I wish I had entered something. Maybe next time...)

I meant to ask - who did the photofinishing for the group? They did very good work...

Glad you enjoyed it. I've spent a few hours there each day and it's gratifying to see how much interest there is from passers by. I had some reservations that the exhibition might be seen as "by farang, for farang" but we did our best to steer away from postcardy stuff and the subjects and quality of the work seems to appeal to lots of people.

Here are a couple of pictures of the show:

408604143_dnszM-M.jpg

408604122_cM3xe-M.jpg

The printing was done by Digital Photo Shop which is next door to Big Camera on the third floor of Airport Plaza and the mounting by SR Laminates almost next door to Bud's Ice Cream in front of Smith Tower. There's a board with their details on at the show which is on until Sunday.

Any truth to the rumor that the photo exhibition at Central Airport Plaza might be extended?

They have asked if we can do another show but it won't be until next year. In the meantime, having put so much effort into getting this one together, we are looking for a new venue where we can show it for a little while longer. I'm wondering if there's an area in the airport that would be possible and we have some feelers out in Bangkok. If anyone knows of a good high traffic location I'd be delighted to hear from them.

Just went the other night, enjoyed it alot. I was surprised at how small the exhibition was over all, but a good start. I'm happy to have the locals - especially the Thais - see some of our work and how we see the region and it's people. 65 Photos doesn't take up too much room, and I'm wishing I'd joined the club (always just a lurker non-member) so that I could have had some of my work on display too. I'll be dropping by a Weds meeting soon.

And note to would-be viewers - IT ENDS TMW, SUNDAY, so you you better get your booty down there !

Thanks for all your kind comments. The work of the whole group is of a terrific standard and we hope to not only find a venue to continue this show for a couple more weeks but do the same next year. If any readers have a suitable high traffic area we'd be pleased to hear from them.

The CMPG welcomes anyone who wants to share their enthusiasm for picture taking and meet others in Chiang Mai. Details here.

The exhibition at Airport Plaza (2nd Floor, Northern Village) will close at about 5.00 this afternoon. I'll be there until then and pleased to say hi to anyone who can make it.