Living In Bangkok

RoyJones

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't live in Bkk, however I stay there for days to week durations on many occasions per year.

The thing I find really frustrating is that in the "suburbs" you can't just go for a stroll down the street, you have to take transport even to go and buy a beer or ciggies from 7 even if its only 500 metres from your house, never any parking available in front of the shops, even for motorbikes on most occasions.

You find that unless you actually make a plan to go and do something, you end up stuck in your house all the time.

That's why I don't live in the suburbs.

living in a modern city (well some parts at least) at third world prices (even though prices have gone up).

Yes, i think living in the suburbs away from touristic areas (with its unhealthy sexpatcolics, clueless backpackers, and anoying touts) keeps me sane. The excitement of living here wore off after a year or two, but overall I think it is still a good place to live.

What keeps me in Thailand/Bkk? Cost of living and climate. I probably would live in SF if I was rich (at least half ot the year during rainy season/summer there).

Edited by iyah

I just arrived in Bangkok two weeks ago and I find it very boring :o it would be good to get to know some friends. Any tips on where a lady can meet some charming people? :D

There is a section on meet ups in the Ladies Forum. Sorry can't search for it as my internet is doing the turtle dance on me but sure you can find it by yourself.

I just arrived in Bangkok two weeks ago and I find it very boring sad.gif it would be good to get to know some friends. Any tips on where a lady can meet some charming people?

thai visa :o

I live in the suburbs amongst mango and papaya trees and don't feel like I am in a big city at all. I can go for a stroll around the streets ,say Sawasdee to all the friendly people who are now used to seeing "the farang" about. I enjoy going into central Bangkok but have no idea what the nightlife there is like. Too busy partying and enjoying myself with my thai family.Living in Bangkok I have the best of both worlds.

Two lines? ok here goes

A frustratingly addictive place that brings out the best and worst in me. When I am not screaming my head off, I am laughing it off - mostly at the greed, generiousity, beauty, ugliness, kindness and thoughtlessness ,but funny thing about it, despite its obvious faults, it is home.

Brilliant. Just to add - once you scratch a little bit beneath the surface that's when you realise the good is sometimes also the bad. Overall I enjoy living here, except for the god dam_n TRAFFIC!!

I live in the suburbs in a large development in Keht Taling Chan (western Bangkok)...pretty much an upper case neighborhood--I don't know why they ever let me in! :o However, we do have plenty of trees, some mini lakes/canals, and some semi-decent sidewalks. Since Thai's just love putting flower pots and planting trees in the middle of sideways, it can be hard to find a truly unobsturcted sidewalk for more than a 100 meters. And once the wife and I leave this gated/guarded community we are pretty much into the city madness and only a few kilometers from large shopping centers of all types.

Having a vehicle can make a big difference in how well you enjoy Bangkok as it allows you much greater mobility...go where and when you want to (after you learn the roads of course like I'm doing).

Two lines? ok here goes

A frustratingly addictive place that brings out the best and worst in me. When I am not screaming my head off, I am laughing it off - mostly at the greed, generiousity, beauty, ugliness, kindness and thoughtlessness ,but funny thing about it, despite its obvious faults, it is home.

Brilliant. Just to add - once you scratch a little bit beneath the surface that's when you realise the good is sometimes also the bad. Overall I enjoy living here, except for the god dam_n TRAFFIC!!

Heavy (Super) Traffic in Bangkok? Where? Answer: Pretty much everywhere!!! :o

After 10 years in Bangkok then moved out, I cound not come back to live there again even most of my friends are there but I found other place much more quiet life, less stress and less 'traffic problem" .

• 1 month later...

Compared to where I live for most of the year, coming home to BKK allows me a chance to relax and unwind! My house is outside central BKK in a rather middle class Thai neighborhood and I am the only farang for several blocks; however with my wife's family near-by I have always felt at home.

When I move to Thailand permanently I will keep the modest house in BKK but preferably live ina more rural area.

They keep their mouths shut, pretending to be in a mood. I wonder if they had fights with their Mia/Mia Noi just bfor start working. They would throw me out if i tried to talk with em :o

and .... I was drunk sometimes. :D

They were just eyeing you up via their rear-view mirror thipsy. Be careful!

They keep their mouths shut, pretending to be in a mood. I wonder if they had fights with their Mia/Mia Noi just bfor start working. They would throw me out if i tried to talk with em :o

and .... I was drunk sometimes. :D

They were just eyeing you up via their rear-view mirror thipsy. Be careful!

Yes Thithi as you ARE supposed to be STUDYING... :D though what I sometimes WONDER :D

bt