Northern Rains: Flash Floods Hit Chiang Mai

george

Northern rains: Flash floods hit Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- Several villages in this northern city were inundated by floodwaters as high as one metre-deep in some area as incessant rains triggered torrential run-off from Thailand's highest mountain peak Doi Inthanon.

Mae Wang district was the hardest hit after many hours of heavy downpour caused the Mae Wang River to overflow.

Heavy flooding inundated hundreds of houses, while hundreds rai of rice fields and longan orchards were also flooded.

Local residents were forced to move their belongings to higher ground.

District chief Putthapong Sirimart inspected the damage and warned villagers in risk areas of Sanpatong and Doi Lor districts to prepare for prompt evacuation if necessary.

In Den Chai district of Prae province, flash floods inundated over a hundred rai of paddy fields in Napoon subdistrict early Monday.

Local authorities rushed to the area to assess the damage and provide help to affected villagers.

Meanwhile, train services resume normally on Monday after rail lines were repaired.

Portions of rail tracks were damaged and flooded on Sunday and caused eight north-bound train services to be suspended.

-- TNA 2008-11-03

Northern rains: Flash floods hit Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- Several villages in this northern city were inundated by floodwaters as high as one metre-deep in some area as incessant rains triggered torrential run-off from Thailand's highest mountain peak Doi Inthanon.

Mae Wang district was the hardest hit after many hours of heavy downpour caused the Mae Wang River to overflow.

Heavy flooding inundated hundreds of houses, while hundreds rai of rice fields and longan orchards were also flooded.

Local residents were forced to move their belongings to higher ground.

District chief Putthapong Sirimart inspected the damage and warned villagers in risk areas of Sanpatong and Doi Lor districts to prepare for prompt evacuation if necessary.

In Den Chai district of Prae province, flash floods inundated over a hundred rai of paddy fields in Napoon subdistrict early Monday.

Local authorities rushed to the area to assess the damage and provide help to affected villagers.

Meanwhile, train services resume normally on Monday after rail lines were repaired.

Portions of rail tracks were damaged and flooded on Sunday and caused eight north-bound train services to be suspended.

-- TNA 2008-11-03

Before I start panicking and hiring the dinghies, can you please quote, the source of this information?

Edited by sassienie

Well I live in Doi Lor and, apart from a small shower yesterday, we haven't had any rain since Friday and today is blue skies and sunny. If warnings of evacuation have been issued, then nobody has told anyone in my village yet.

Well I live in Doi Lor and, apart from a small shower yesterday, we haven't had any rain since Friday and today is blue skies and sunny. If warnings of evacuation have been issued, then nobody has told anyone in my village yet.

Absolutely agree.

I too live in Doi Lor and have not received any warnings about possible flooding in my area.

My wife is out now, trying to seek some information from the locals. I will reply on this thread if she finds out anything.

Edited by sassienie

Rain seems to have been heaviest SW of Chiang Mai - especially Doi In , Samoeng & Mae Wang over the last few days.

It's coming down your way right now!

My housekeeper has just rushed off now because it looks like her house will be flooded by this evening (Nam Mae Khan (sp?))

Absolutely agree.

I too live in Doi Lor and have not received any warnings about possible flooding in my area.

My wife is out now, trying to seek some information from the locals. I will reply on this thread if she finds out anything.

My wife has returned. She visited the head man of the village and several locals who said they have not seen this District chief Putthapong Sirimart or received any flood warnings.

Still blue skys here, calm so far.