Where To Buy Home Blood Pressure Monitoring Device In Bangkok

fozzy58uk

Have been hypertensive for a few months now readings at hospital where I am being treated for another problem are around 150/100. I have been prescribed Tritace and now take a 5mg tab at 12 hourly intervals. Doc has been steadily increasing the dosage as There has not yet been a noticeable reduction. He recommended I buy a home bp monitoring kit. Have been to Boots and Watson's but they don't have them. Any suggestions as to where Ican find a "cheap" reliable model.

Have been hypertensive for a few months now readings at hospital where I am being treated for another problem are around 150/100. I have been prescribed Tritace and now take a 5mg tab at 12 hourly intervals. Doc has been steadily increasing the dosage as There has not yet been a noticeable reduction. He recommended I buy a home bp monitoring kit. Have been to Boots and Watson's but they don't have them. Any suggestions as to where Ican find a "cheap" reliable model.

:o They must be available. I've seen some in the Pharmacy area in Foodland on Sukhumvit (I buy my 2 blood-pressure pills there). Also try any of the Watson's locations in BKK. There will probably be some fancy electronic kits, but the simple manual pump up (squeeze bulb) works as well at a cheaper cost. I expect you could find something similar in BKK in most of the "Farang" oriented department stores (i.e. Central), if you lookd in the health/pharmacy area.

And although you didn't ask...be careful and try to lower the Salt/Sodium in your food. My blood pressure shoots up into the 150/160 range with the amount of Salt I have in my food. I'm trying to cut back to a low Sodium diet (google that topic on the internet). It's helping me, my blood pressure is back below 140, usually 130 or so. Much better than the 150/160 over 80 I had. That high Salt Soy sauce is a killer...avoid it if you can

:D

P.S. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm almost sure I once saw a kit in either the Boots or the Watsons in the Emporium on Sukhumvit.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I dont know how accurate they are.I bought one to be attached on the wrist.At home the readings are always approximatey 12o/75 but when measured in the hospital the pressure is mostly 165/100.

:D I have one I bought here in Greece. It was about 30 Euro or roughly 1400 baht equivalent. It goes on the upper arm with a cuff and a velcro fastener, It works best if you either take shirt off, or with a short sleeve shirt you raise the sleeve. There is a short insruction booklet. It does use a battery, so you will have to change the battery, maybe once a year. Tubing is attached to the cuff, and a squeeze bulb assembly. You squeeze a bulb to binng up the pressure to about 200mm or so, then let it bleed down. The electronics pick up the pulse when it first starts, and then when the pressure is back to relaxed, and display the first pulse is detected (say 140) over the rest pulse pressure (say 80). Displays it as 140/80 in the case mentioned. If the reading seems dodgy, it displays an E for error. Then you turn it off and on to reset the scale.

There are more expensive all electronic ones, but I'm not sure their performance is woth the extra cost (probaably double to triple the cost).

-----

MODERATOR Just a thought....maybe swith this post to the health forum...probably there are a few people in BKK with same problem.

:o

I bought one of the wrist type monitors earlier this year, for just 2,800 baht. My doctor had me bring it to his office and we checked against his reading. I don't recall the numbers but they were close; within the range you would expect when taking consecutive readings. The doctor was satisfied with the devices accuracy, anyway.

I just asked at my regular pharmacy at Maneeya Center, on Ploenchit. They had it in stock.

I bought one of the wrist type monitors earlier this year, for just 2,800 baht. My doctor had me bring it to his office and we checked against his reading.

Very important! My Doc did the same thing. Any BP monitor you buy should be brought in and checked with your doctor for accuracy. They may be able to correctly calibrate it for you at the hospital if it's off.

If your doctor is located in a hospital, go to that hospital's shop and you should find them. I know that one of Bamrungrad's stores on the mezzanine level has them. I have heard that those that go around your arm are more accurate, but in any event, take the advice given by many by having it's accuracy checked by one of the nurses.

There are many brands, but Omron is one of the most popular.

If you buy at a hospital, you should be able to leave a deposit and have it checked for accuracy before you buy it (I know you can do this at Bamrungrad).

• 1 month later...

Try any 7/11 store. you can order them, takes about a week. I bought one a couple years ago and it still works fine. 1500-2000 baht...automatic (no ball to pump) and it stores the last 10 readings.....ask for a catalog as they update it monthly.

I dont know how accurate they are.I bought one to be attached on the wrist.At home the readings are always approximatey 12o/75 but when measured in the hospital the pressure is mostly 165/100.

Yes one is ideal reading. One is hypertensive. I think you may have white coat syndrome.

I bought one a year or so ago in Watson or Boots (can't remember which) on Silom, on the opposite site as Patpong. TBH 4000 for an Omron IA2 with memory for 90 entries. Works fine and accuracy in cofirmed by comparison with measurements at my docs office. They had the same model at Bumrungrad, the shop on 2nd floor, but it was THB 1000 more expensive there.

Hi,

I bought an Omron model I A 2 in Malaysia for RM300 (Japanese Product).

I also bought a Switzerland product model Microlife BP 3BM1-3P for RM150.

Both models have "irregular heartbeat detector."

The Omron model is more solid and is good for heavy duty use.

I prefer the Omron, more "user friendly" so to speak and more expensive

than the Microlife model.

Bty, do not buy the wrist type. It is never accurate.

I purchased an inflatable cuff type of monitor from the Boots branch on the the third level (I think) of Emporium, close to the escalators at the Skytrain end of the building earlier this year. It is a Microlife and from memory cost around 1300 baht. The pharmacy had a selection of different makes and models. I use it several times a week and it seems to work fine for me.

May sound silly, but how did they get the reading?

Did they use the new electronic type? [give incorrect reading on some people]

Next time ask them to do it with the old fashioned pump up one, you may get a very different reading