I have been using ikobo for the last year and everything has worked great.

But for some reason the last week when I go to send money via their website it says it is down for maintenance.

I have tried calling them, but I get the message that they are with other customers and to wait. I stayed on all day until they were closed then hung up (8+ hours). I also send emails to them but got nothing back. I have tried their online help but after 8 minutes it disconnects me.

Anyone use ikobo? Anyone know what is going on?

Is there a better way to send money to someone in Thailand?

I am a US citizen living and working in Afghanistan with a wife in Thailand. So anything I do I have to be able to do it by phone or the Internet.

I can call Western Union but I get charged so much both from Western Union and from my bank.

Anyone try a pre paid visa/master card? One that I can refill online or by the phone.

Sounds nice to call it a well known scam but I have been using them for a long time with no problems. It appears most of the issues are related to receipt of the card or pin numbers. I've sent tens of thousands for $5 per transaction at the market exchange rates to (based on the latest) which recently has been GREAT. Now I'm desperate to figure out a non western union/moneygram way to send money. The others charge $40 and up some with hidden fees. Ikobo is $5 for every thousand with a max of 3 grand a month.

I tried to send a grand yesterday and again today but it says it's no longer loading payments....live chat waited 15 mintues twice and it closed. Waited 4 hours on the phone, no one picked up. Nothing on their website, etc.

Anyone know of the second least expensive way to send money to Thailand? I've got a wedding to fund and a small business to fund (as ell as the wife and her family to help out when I can).

Thanks

Yes I know about all of this. I looked into ikobo before I signed up.

You know you can take any noun add scam at the end put it into google and find lists of bad stuff.

I tried sending money via ikobo again this morning. Now their website says they are not taking any new customers and are not sending money as of right now.

I then got an email from them a few hours later. Looks like they are going out of business. Not that I am surprised at all. There are a lot of banks in the US going under. The economy sucks in the states right now.

I feel you pain Hyena. I am in the same boat. ikobo was a god sent when I found it. As of right now I am stuck with Western Union.

I am going to try a pre paid visa/master card. lets see if this does any better (or worst?). I found one that I can reload via PayPal. This might work out. I just hope the card doesn't get blocked from being used in Thailand (I am looking at you E*Trade).

Yes if anyone else knows of some cheap/fast ways to send money to Thailand let me know.

Open a bank account with a bank in your location. Get an ATM debit card from the bank. Send that card to your partner in Thailand, (or any other country). Now you can simply put some funds into your local bank account and this can be withdrawn immediately by your partner with his/her ATM card. There will usually be a charge for the withdrawal, but it is not excessive.

This is a good way to send funds in a hurry. Need $20 to get some shopping in Chiang Rai? just put $20 into your Afghan bank account and it's immediately available in Thailand, (etc etc etc)

Simon