Common Sense

yabaaaa

Are you born with it, is it learnt from experience etc? I'm often surprised when I drive up behind many a Thai in a street and am inches from them for them not to notice, and then turn round and almost jump out of their skin yet will hear their mobile phone ring in the middle of a noisy shopping complex when I can hear nothing but the latest "whatever" blasting over the tannoy. I know we can all occasionally be wrapped up in our thoughts but I don't do it in the middle of a road

I think your mixing up hearing and common sense. Although both have a great deal to do with the brain, they are very different.

For me, noise is just plain unpleasant and totally distracting. I don't think or act well when there is excessive noise around. So, noise affects my common sense.

Are you born with it, is it learnt from experience etc? I'm often surprised when I drive up behind many a Thai in a street and am inches from them for them not to notice, and then turn round and almost jump out of their skin yet will hear their mobile phone ring in the middle of a noisy shopping complex when I can hear nothing but the latest "whatever" blasting over the tannoy. I know we can all occasionally be wrapped up in our thoughts but I don't do it in the middle of a road

IMHO I think it is cultural. The majority of people here have no idea of courtesy, on the road or on foot. Some blow through red lights at speed, some join traffic without looking, some stop in the middle of the road, some try to get on an elevator without waiting for people to come off.

They're not taught to do anything different because that might cause them to 'lose face'.

Common sense ? In LOS, that would be uncommon sense

Common sense is decidedly lacking in this country, not to say that it's an exclusively Thai trait by any stretch, but a percentage of the locals do seem to excel where illogical thinking patterns are concerned. A clothing stall at an indoor market I know has a sign that says "Not try, Not change, Not refund". Common sense would tell any fool that the imposition of a combination of such rules does not add up to a clever business strategy. It's hardly rocket science but somewhere along the line the shop owner just didn't consider how customers might be put off from making purchases at his stall when they're not, at the very least, even allowed to try items on. Go figure.

I think common sense is made up of three important factors: 1. Life experiences 2. Education (not necessarily the formal schooling type) and 3. Intelligence.

Common sense often tells me how to keep from having an accident, but that's because of a few unpleasant experiences while driving when I was younger. Education--in this case Driver's education, helped me know the correct way of driving without a lot of trial and error. Intelligence is the mixture that allows us to move between the first and second as needed and keeps us from being rigid.

A big part of my job involves human resources. I work with a colleage who is very well educated and very intelligent, however, he lacks life experience. He frequently makes mistakes and misjudges people/situations because of the lack of experience. I usually let him fail, because without those failures, he will never get the experience. Granted, I try to cushion those failures so that they aren't destructive to all concerned.

Here, I see a fair number of people who are very much lacking life experience. From childhood on they are sheltered from everything. They don't play in the dirt (or outside), if they fall, it's someone's fault--teacher, maid etc. Everything must be taught in a classroom setting. Bosses seldom let their subordinates actively take part in the decision making process. Subservience is valued more than talent (and rewarded). These combine to make the country/culture positively mystifying at times!

Why does sense have to be 'common'? Can it be ordinary or advanced sense? I wonder who came up with common sense as a description for something that most people have but don't always use.

Edited by Swanky

My wife recently had her wallet snatched. No big deal as there was only about 100 baht in cash, but it was quite inconvenient as it contained her ATM card and ID.

Before she could get a replacement ID we needed cash, and of course with no ATM card this meant going into the branch. And so my wife goes to the branch with her passport to get some cash........ No can do! <deleted>? A passport is official identification issued by the government that proved beyond doubt that my wife is indeed the account holder, but still they stood absolutely firm that no transaction could be done with the Thai ID card.

This was on a Friday and we had to borrow cash from a friend for the weekend until this mess was sorted out.

The following Monday my wife goes to another branch nearby with passport in hand, and had no problem withdrawing cash and with no questions asked.

The first bank teller for me is a prime example of no common-sense. How on earth my wife was refused access to her cash despite proving without doubt that she is the account holder is ridiculous, and unfortunately it is unlikely that the bank teller could see just how ridiculous she was being and so will not learn from it.

I think the example that you give is a lack of common sense on both sides. Of course the bank used little, but experience tells us that places like banks and gov't offices don't use common sense and are dogmatic. If your wife had brought a police report showing her ID was stolen along with her passport, she would be using common sense.

I am not have a go at your wife either, I would have probably done the same thing. But common sense would tell us that those places don't use common sense!

Intelligence is one‘s capacity for learning, and can be measured in various ways. The most famous way is IQ test.

While "common sense", I think, refers to the abilities a person has in dealing with day-to-day problems and situations. I guess you can call it like having the instincts on things, and usually varies greatly from person to person, because the meaning can be very subjective. One person's common sense sometimes can be another's idiocy.

And I see it all the times, whether Thailand, farangland, or elsewhere worldly that….. some people who are considered to be highly intelligent seem lacking in everyday common sense. It's probably not always true tho, but it does seem that way sometimes.

MG

yes and no. most of the posts above are correct in a sense but overlook the fact that things like "common sense", "manners" and even to some extent "intelligence" are also culturally defined and not universal - at least not when it comes to the specifics.

You could not accuse (most) Thai people of having no manners. They mostly have good manners - but they are Thai manners and by and large these don't dovetail with my variety (the Anglo-derived variety of 'manners'). So yes I could say that many Thai people have bad manners, but it's purely from my own Anglo perspective. This applies to people from many other non-Anglo countries too, eg. from the middle east, etc etc

I suspect it's probably the same with common sense - the 'sense' is based on the values and priorities of th culture in which it is derived.

With intelligence - well there is probably a complicated relationship in there somewhere. The last poster mentioned IQ - well even that test of intelligence has been widely criticised on the basis on being culturally biased, ie. it favours certainly cultures over others and so may not be the universal level playing field that we assume it is (when used across cultures).

The above thoughts are not a judgement call - whether you personally agree with how Thais act/behave is "up to you" & I don't have any particular axe to grind - just trying to balance out the discussion.

lemme think; Conference Call scheduled for 5 am (5pm EDT) and I go out drinking till 4 am. Sit down and wait for phone call. Fall asleep and do not respond to call. Wake up at 12pm to find, 7 emails asking if I am DOA, MIA, did I rush off to save the world, meet a pretty girl, or otherwise get kidnapped by savage katoeys from Bangla Rd.

Common sense says I should have been more responsible. Farang in fed up frustrated & flustered mode, said F*kit.

It aint in short supply with just Thais. Me guilty too. :D

True it was a scintillating discussion on male hormones, but dunno if I missed much. Not like anyone wants them here although I think alot of these metrosexual boy men could use them, but that's for another thread. :o

My wife recently had her wallet snatched. No big deal as there was only about 100 baht in cash, but it was quite inconvenient as it contained her ATM card and ID.

Before she could get a replacement ID we needed cash, and of course with no ATM card this meant going into the branch. And so my wife goes to the branch with her passport to get some cash........ No can do! <deleted>? A passport is official identification issued by the government that proved beyond doubt that my wife is indeed the account holder, but still they stood absolutely firm that no transaction could be done with the Thai ID card.

This was on a Friday and we had to borrow cash from a friend for the weekend until this mess was sorted out.

The following Monday my wife goes to another branch nearby with passport in hand, and had no problem withdrawing cash and with no questions asked.

The first bank teller for me is a prime example of no common-sense. How on earth my wife was refused access to her cash despite proving without doubt that she is the account holder is ridiculous, and unfortunately it is unlikely that the bank teller could see just how ridiculous she was being and so will not learn from it.

funny, i would have just given my wife some of my money to tide her over -- i suspect that would be a common cents issue

Edited by t.s

Well, my common sense said, your wife should go to report for the ID card's missing at the police station first.

Then take the yellow report from police to cash for the money at the bank.

And the following monday, she should go to resume her ID at the any Amphur I/O going with her passpport to cash again at other banks.

IMHO I think it is cultural. The majority of people here have no idea of courtesy, on the road or on foot. Some blow through red lights at speed, some join traffic without looking, some stop in the middle of the road, some try to get on an elevator without waiting for people to come off.

They're not taught to do anything different because that might cause them to 'lose face'.

Common sense ? In LOS, that would be uncommon sense

There is no such thing here as natural common sense..I believe you are taught it. don't do this or this will happen, don't do that or that will happen, that's what I got when I was a kid. You have to be responsible for your actions.

Here, it is totally different, kids are not disciplined and basically do what they want, then they go to school and have all of the natural inquisitivness removed from their heads, only to become another brain dead zombie. The education is based on a prrot fashion learning

This is all compounded by the religion, whereby they believe that what you make is what you get..no confrontation, bow to those you believe are above you, it is a recipe for disaster.

Can you imagine buying a few bags of toothpaste some makerel fillets, a bit of washing powder and giving it to the saffron clad mafiaq can buy you your place in paradise? Then that is why you would overtake on a blind bend on the wrong side of the road...the logic does not apply!

...I'm often surprised when I drive up behind many a Thai in a street and am inches from them for them not to notice, and then turn round and almost jump out of their skin yet ...

I believe a large proportion of Thais have very poor "spatial awareness". They simply don't know what is going on around them. This is why they happily block the exit of an escalator by talking in groups or park their moto-cy somewhere that blocks access. Maybe it's mixed in with a little dose of "mai pen rai" (=never mind) or lack of "common sense", but I've learned over the years that using "common sense" in any discussion about Thais or Thailand is not a good idea.

Edit: typo

Edited by JetsetBkk

...I'm often surprised when I drive up behind many a Thai in a street and am inches from them for them not to notice, and then turn round and almost jump out of their skin yet ...

I believe a large proportion of Thais have very poor "spatial awareness". They simply don't know what is going on around them. This is why they happily block the exit of an escalator by talking in groups or park their moto-cy somewhere that blocks access. Maybe it's mixed in with a little dose of "mai pen rai" (=never mind) or lack of "common sense", but I've learned over the years that using "common sense" in any discussion about Thais or Thailand is not a good idea.

Edit: typo

Mmmm, try explaining a box junction!

Common sense is linked to intelligence. Either you got it or you don't. :o

Some would argue that the sixth sense would also figure in there somewhere.

I disagree.

I spent 30 years back in the UK, working in peoples homes. Some of those people were extremely bright and had very good jobs, ie surgeons, barristers, owners of successful businesses. Some of them didn't have an ounce of common sense.

Well, my common sense said, your wife should go to report for the ID card's missing at the police station first.

And the following monday, she should go to resume her ID at the any Amphur I/O going with her passpport to cash again at other banks.

'Common Sense' to me would mean that you would have read post #9 above before you repeated essentially the same thing.... :o

Also, try not to get "not having common sense mixed" up with "not give a shititis". Many Thais and others just don't give a shit if you are trying to drive down a road, get off the skytrain, subway, elevator or escalator. They are in their own little world.

The Brit's call it "not being arsed", us Seppos call it "don't give a shit".

so true!!

esp among those condo fliers!!!------and most were farangs men, strange here, isn't it? :o

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article785120.ece

Common sense if you are wanting to petty point score would be to think through why they jump off buildings. It's to avoid going back to a country with women as awful as you.

Yours is a sick post and if I were to laugh at the post in this link I would be quite rightly kicked out of here.

Suicide and dying are never petty subjects. Each one has its own tragic tale.

What a load of crap.

Common sense is not to start a thread about common sense. Then again common sense is not to post on a thread that is about common sense . Then again common sense is not to admit any of these things.

Omg I just found the lotto ticket with the winning numbers.

Click here if you don't believe me HERE!!!

Edited by RakJungTorlae

'Common Sense' to me would mean that you would have read post #9 above before you repeated essentially the same thing.... :o

Hehe... I just read that post after you pointed it out to me... :D

Well, you right.... I have repeated it unintentionally....hehe..me, shy lei.. :D

Thanks...