Best Place To Buy Sterling

I wish to buy some sterling and am wondering where the best place to do this would be? The money is in my Wife's account and she has been into the SCB branch this morning where the account is held and she said to them that she, with me, will be going to the UK for a trip soon and could she do this? They said they could but would need to see a copy of the airline ticket etc which we have not yet purchased! We will be looking to change up about 500,000 bt, hopefully taking advantage of a possible further fall if the BOE rate reduction is more than has been priced in (please note I say possible further fall). Are there any alternatives than buying at a bank? Any advice gratefully received, Thanks Paul

I wish to buy some sterling and am wondering where the best place to do this would be? The money is in my Wife's account and she has been into the SCB branch this morning where the account is held and she said to them that she, with me, will be going to the UK for a trip soon and could she do this? They said they could but would need to see a copy of the airline ticket etc which we have not yet purchased! We will be looking to change up about 500,000 bt, hopefully taking advantage of a possible further fall if the BOE rate reduction is more than has been priced in (please note I say possible further fall). Are there any alternatives than buying at a bank? Any advice gratefully received, Thanks Paul

The Banks response is an absolute nonsense. You can generally obtain Sterling and most other major currencies from any large bank, the ones in Bangkok tend to have greater availability although sometimes you have to order it and give them time to collect it from their branches. If in Bangkok you can try Superrich, a currency trader near World Trade Center as they usually have the best prices - ask (almost) anyone around WTC, behind BigC for the location.