Waiting For 1-year Visa: Have To Go Back On Exact Day?

Hi all--apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it:

I am in the process of getting a work permit and 1-year visa (12-month extension of non-immigrant visa). I got a stamp in my passport that says it is under investigation by the police department and I should go back on November 21.

Here is my question: Do I have to go exactly on Nov. 21? Can I go after (like Nov. 24th)? Can I go a week before? Is there any way to call them and ask about this? So far we have just gotten a recorded message.

Thanks a lot for any information you could provide!

Kiki

Hi all--apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it:

I am in the process of getting a work permit and 1-year visa (12-month extension of non-immigrant visa). I got a stamp in my passport that says it is under investigation by the police department and I should go back on November 21.

Here is my question: Do I have to go exactly on Nov. 21? Can I go after (like Nov. 24th)? Can I go a week before? Is there any way to call them and ask about this? So far we have just gotten a recorded message.

Thanks a lot for any information you could provide!

Kiki

I assume you are talking about a "Marriage Extension"

You do not say which office you applied at.

Do not go back after the date as it could give you a lot of problems.

They may entertain you a few days early. You really do have to ask them.

That date of 21 NOV 2008 stamped in your passport is the expiration of your current permission to stay. You definitely should not go later as otherwise you would be on overstay.

Immigration expects you to report on the exact date but if you have a problem with that you have two options:

1. Give your passport and an authorization note to another person to pick up the annual extension.

2. Go a little early an see if the approval for the annual extension has already arrived.

--

Maestro

That date of 21 NOV 2008 stamped in your passport is the expiration of your current permission to stay. You definitely should not go later as otherwise you would be on overstay.

Immigration expects you to report on the exact date but if you have a problem with that you have two options:

1. Give your passport and an authorization note to another person to pick up the annual extension.

2. Go a little early an see if the approval for the annual extension has already arrived.

--

Maestro

Thanks a lot. No, nothing to do with marriage--working here and getting work permit too. I'll see if I can get someone else to go for me. What should the authorization note say--just that I authorize the person to get my passport stamped for me with a signature? thanks~

Yes, that should do, but if it’s not for a marriage extension I don’t know whether you can have another person go to immigration for you. So you’re back to square one, trying to call the immigration office for information.

--

Maestro

--

Maestro

Thanks a lot. No, nothing to do with marriage--working here and getting work permit too. I'll see if I can get someone else to go for me. What should the authorization note say--just that I authorize the person to get my passport stamped for me with a signature? thanks~

Several years ago when Suan Plu used to do the "come back in 30 (or more) days" deal for "retirement" extensions,

I'd often stop by if I happened to be in Bangkok just to check, and usually the extension was complete. This sometimes a week or so before the DDD (drop dead date).

So, give it a shot, early, NOT late.

Mac

Several years ago when Suan Plu used to do the "come back in 30 (or more) days" deal for "retirement" extensions,

I'd often stop by if I happened to be in Bangkok just to check, and usually the extension was complete. This sometimes a week or so before the DDD (drop dead date).

So, give it a shot, early, NOT late.

Great, thanks a lot! Kiki

Yes, that should do, but if it’s not for a marriage extension I don’t know whether you can have another person go to immigration for you. --

Maestro

You definitely can let someone go on your behalf.

In my working days I never went to Immigration, the company always

handled it on my behalf. :o

In case somebody else has to pick up your passport for you, most shops that sell office materials have standard forms to authorize somebody to do something on your behalf, the expression in Thai is " bai mop am naat". Let somebody write down in Thai that you authorize him/her to pick up your passport, and sign it.

Still I would make sure beforehand if they accept this or not, they can be a bit fussy sometimes.

Yes, that should do, but if it's not for a marriage extension I don't know whether you can have another person go to immigration for you. --

Maestro

You definitely can let someone go on your behalf.

In my working days I never went to Immigration, the company always

handled it on my behalf. :D

I second this, my HR manager told me that he used to send one of our companies motorcycle messengers every year to do this for a previous employee who was here on a non-B...

I extended under Thai wife, so had to wait in line all day myself :o